Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: '03 330ci convt
Help please... coolant temp gauge erratic/crazy!

OK, so I'm kinda stumped... here goes. (sorry in advance it's so long, I wanted to make sure I gave all the info I have)

2003 330ci convt. car runs and drives fine.

My SES light came on... and a later that day the car went into limp mode. when I scanned the codes, it gave me the following:

p0118 Coolant temp ckt high input
p0734 Gear 4 ratio incorrect

I didn't get too worried about the gear ratio/tranny code, because it always seems that it throws codes like that when there is another issue... when I fix the other issue, the transmission codes stop, too. but, FWIW, those were the codes.

I cleared them, and drove the car... it ended up throwing the coolant temp/high input code again (P0118), so I replaced the coolant temp sensor down on the lower radiator hose. Same thing.. only this time, I noticed that the temp gauge will occasionally FREAK OUT. it is usually right in the middle (as is typical) but then.... it will all of a sudden go WAY up... buried on the red/hot side... it might stay there for 15 or 30 seconds... sometimes, it comes back down to normal, other times it will fall all the way to the cold/blue end. usually, after 30 seconds or so.. it goes back to normal. The car doesn't seem to be actually running hot, just the temp gauge says it is.

SO... I replaced the thermostat/housing. same problem... cranked up the heater to 91 and bled the coolant..... 3 times... same problem.

Tonight, after I bled, (and bled) the coolant, I decided to hook up my scan tool and watch the engine temp readings when the gauge went nuts.

When it finally did, the scan tool showed negative temps -12, -25... etc. while it was in the red/hot range.... as the needle swung all the way down to ice cold, the scan tool showed temps of slightly above 0.. and then up in the 20's... during this time the car ran rough... hesitated, and I shut it off.... tried to restart it, and it just turned over and over. waited a minute tried again.... started up, runs fine again.

I'm not yet worried about it running weird, because I'm sure that the computer is adjusting fuel mixtures, etc. when it suddenly thinks it's below freezing. However, I can't for the life of me figure out WTH is causing the car to think the coolant temp is going so crazy.

I want to avoid the process of just replacing components one after another until it's fixed... can't really afford that right now.

please help if you can, thanks in advance.

bbaker
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2010, 04:56 AM
In my own cars again

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
With behavior that strange (and since you already replaced the CTS), I'd look for a pinch or a short in the wiring harness for the CTS. The wiring on these cars is pretty well embedded in the harness, so it's not easy digging around. The most likely area for a break in a wire will be right at the connector itself. While the car is running, see if you can create the problem by twisting around on the wire harness (just watch out for the fan.....). This may pinpoint your break.

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0118 has a not-unreasonable set of troubleshooting tips for this code on just about any car. Don't discount the possibility of a bad new CTS, right out of the box.

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

Last edited by MicahO; 05-21-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:09 AM
The one and only

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
^ Try what Micah said and good luck.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:09 AM
tappa tappa toit

Mein Auto: hoopty
damn this is crazy. i was going to say classic case of t-stat malfunction but you already replaced it...
wouldnt this also be caused by air pockets in the system? i know you already bled the coolant.... but still. how likely is it that its a wire harness issue if it hasnt been touched
Old 05-22-2010, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahO View Post
Don't discount the possibility of a bad new CTS, right out of the box.
Odd, but I would not be surprised if this was the case...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw325i /318ic
would seem you have air in system:
did you fill the coolant properly?
little screw out
cap off
engine off but dash lights on with heater full on
filled fluid very very slow..repeated multiple times to very top of cap level/almost overflow..drinks fluid thru pencil hole near upper lip.
stop pouring fluid once over flow of screw hole,,replace screw
suck excess fluid from expansion tank
start car and look for it to pee out of little pencil hole
replace cap.
recheck when cold.
*Also check the electrical connection of sensor on top of radiator passenger side on fan shroud and sensor at bottom hose passenger side near radiator..If these are disconnected or car started with them disconnected it gives some weird codes regarding trans. and temps.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Check your BATTERY! I bet it is low on voltage and needs to be replaced. It's free and easy

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 PM

Mein Auto: 330Ci Conv
I have exactly the same issue where the temp gauge is erratic but the car drives fine.

Did you manage to find a solution?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 320ci 2000
Hi I'm having a similar problem but mine happened when I change the thermo and CCV valve. Any joy in getting it sorted.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 200 528I
Did anyone ever figure this out? I have a P0118 code and the temp gauge is erratic. Sometimes it moves rapidly (in 2 seconds) from midway to full hot and then after about 30 seconds will drift back to midway. Also it will sometimes go from midway to the blue area and then return. Doesn't appear to be overheating and I have bled the system several times. Last fact not using any coolant. Is the only way to replace the coolant sensor on the head to remove the intake?

Last edited by bkane; 10-05-2012 at 04:18 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330cic
Did anyone ever figure out this problem? Having the same problem with my 2003 330Cic
Old 02-27-2013, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Check the engine temperature sensor. I just had to replace it on mine last night. It is under the intake manifold cylinder number 6.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330cic
I'm having trouble locating it. Do you have pics?
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Check your BATTERY! I bet it is low on voltage and needs to be replaced. It's free and easy
Everyone having electrical issues with an 8+ yr old car with the original battery. Please read this.
Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
Everyone having electrical issues with an 8+ yr old car with the original battery should be shot
fixed

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 03-05-2013, 09:42 PM

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
For God's sake, don't go bleed the system anymore or buy any parts until you test the freaking battery. Two people before me have told you want is wrong with the car. A bad battery makes the cluster (including temp gauge) go haywire. Go to Autozone or Advance and have them test it.