Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-02-2012, 09:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Four wheel alignment?

I just got an email from my local dealer suggesting I come in for a four wheel alignment before winter sets in. They state that the car needs an alignment every year to prevent uneven tire wear. I can't remember the last time I had an alignment done on ANY of my cars (30 years ago maybe?)

I also have all-wheel drive. Is this all the more reason I need to consider this?
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
No, nonsense.
Go to a regular tire place who have the alignment equipment. I pay $68 plus tax at Town Fair Tire, but not necessary annually.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Nac

Mein Auto: 535XI, 328I
Are the tires wearing unevenly or is the car pulling to one side or another, vibration in the steering column, or the steering wheel is no longer centered...these are signs that an alignment may be needed. Annually makes no sense to me, unless your roads a full of pot holes
Old 10-02-2012, 11:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to core22
Mein Auto: e60
I'm getting vibration in my steering column only when braking. Not to hijack the OPs thread, but would this be a symptom of needing an alignment?
2010 535i xDrive - Platinum Gray | Black Dakota | Sport | Logic 7 | Navigation | HD Audio | M Tech | RDSport Roof Spoiler | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Exhaust | KW v3 Coilovers | Beyern Mesh | Conti DWS 255/40-285/35 | RPI Scoop | Gloss Black Kidneys | 50% Tint | Debadged

For Sale - RDSport roof & trunk spoilers (Plat. Gray) | 1x Conti DWS 245/40/18 | OEM Grills

Old 10-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks, but no thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
No, nonsense.
Go to a regular tire place who have the alignment equipment. I pay $68 plus tax at Town Fair Tire, but not necessary annually.
Thanks for your suggestion, but Town Fair is the LAST place I would go to have an alignment done! They can't even balance a tire properly. (We both live in CT)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Arras View Post
I just got an email from my local dealer suggesting I come in for a four wheel alignment before winter sets in. They state that the car needs an alignment every year to prevent uneven tire wear. I can't remember the last time I had an alignment done on ANY of my cars (30 years ago maybe?)

I also have all-wheel drive. Is this all the more reason I need to consider this?
Don't bother unless you feel you car is pulling to a side. I would also start ignoring that dealer.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by core22 View Post
I'm getting vibration in my steering column only when braking. Not to hijack the OPs thread, but would this be a symptom of needing an alignment?
A wheel alignment usually would not cause this problem. I would do the easy stuff first, check your wheel balancing. If that doesn't fix it I would have the brakes checked, it could be a bad caliper not releasing completely. I had the same problem on my e53 and gs, once they replaced the front calipers it was good.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access
-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
No, nonsense.
+1

Only worry if the shop says they don't know why there are 6 versions of your car in the system and they think they picked the right one.

2009 AW 535i
Old 10-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: 09 528i
Quote:
This is a sign of warped brake rotors
Old 10-03-2012, 08:42 AM

Send a message via AIM to core22
Mein Auto: e60
Just heard back - it is indeed out of round front rotors. Oddly these were purchased brand new over the summer and installed about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully I will be able to work with Modbargains or StopTech on a warranty claim.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion - sorry to derail the thread
2010 535i xDrive - Platinum Gray | Black Dakota | Sport | Logic 7 | Navigation | HD Audio | M Tech | RDSport Roof Spoiler | Dinan Stage 2 | Dinan Exhaust | KW v3 Coilovers | Beyern Mesh | Conti DWS 255/40-285/35 | RPI Scoop | Gloss Black Kidneys | 50% Tint | Debadged

For Sale - RDSport roof & trunk spoilers (Plat. Gray) | 1x Conti DWS 245/40/18 | OEM Grills

Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:

That's okay, Core, I think we're done.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Quote:
Just heard back - it is indeed out of round front rotors. Oddly these were purchased brand new over the summer and installed about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully I will be able to work with Modbargains or StopTech on a warranty claim.

Sounds like you didn't bed the pads properly to the new rotors. If you don't, you'll get an uneven coating of material on the rotors and they will act as though they're warped even though the rotors really aren't.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 08-02-2013, 09:49 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Hadley View Post
Are the tires wearing unevenly
I posted a lot of pictures of uneven tire wear on my E39, which had excessive negative camber, if anyone is interested, over here:
> What can I have done at the alignment shop to reduce my drastic E39 inside tire wear?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-03-2013, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 545i
And here is was thinking arson might be a concern?????
Old 08-06-2013, 03:01 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelLonewolf View Post
And here is was thinking arson might be a concern?????
It's water!

Every 6 gallons of water is 50 pounds.

Although, I must admit, when I brought the car in to the alignment shop, two mechanics from across the street wandered over to see what was going on. Then they proceeded to lecture me that alignment only needed weight to simulate a driver in the front driver's seat.

How do you handle people like that?

Anyway, this post to the thread on weighting explains some of the theory that I wasn't able to explain to those mechanics...
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
Not even the dealerships weight the cars. Call one up and ask. They dont.
Hmmmm....
  • BMW of San Jose, aka Stevenscreek BMW (www.stevenscreekbmw.com)
    • 800-298-1501x2 (asked to speak to a service advisor)
    • The first service advisor didn't have a clue what I was asking!
    • So I called back, and the second service advisor unhesitatingly said they definitely use the weights.
    • PS: It costs $250 for an alignment with weights
  • BMW of Mountainview (http://www.bmwofmountainview.com)
    • 650-200-0149x1x2 (tried to speak to a service advisor)
    • Left a message as they didn't answer the phone
    • They didn't return the call, so I called back, and pressed "4" instead of "1": 650-200-0149x4
    • Asking for a service advisor, the one I got had no clue whether they use weights or not.
    • Calling back, pressing "4" again, I found out that it was the appointment personnel whom I had been speaking with.
    • So I got a "real" service advisor, who said they "add sandbags as needed", which I'll take to indicate they add the proper weight.
    • PS: It costs $190 for an alignment, with your money refunded if you don't need it
  • BMW of Fremont (www.bmwoffremont.com)
    • 510-224-4820x1 (asked to speak to a service advisor)
    • The service advisor unhesitatingly said they use the specified weights.
    • PS: It costs $190 for an alignment, with your money refunded if you don't need it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz540i View Post
Please explain how a car with such amazing aerodymanics as the e39 could have such massive downforce.
That's a valid argument.

From "my" reading of this wonderfully edifying thread (and a score of others), the driving-under-downforce (DUD?) theory is pretty much deprecated. So is the carrying-rocks-and-passengers (CRAP?) theory. The only theory that seems to logically hold water is the one so eloquently explaned by RDL, which is that the whole point is to weight (almost) all BMWs similarly so that the very specific midpoint called the "Normal Loaded Position" is reached.

Don't let the word "normal" or "loaded" mean anything to you with respect to how many rocks and passengers one normally carries as a load. In fact, we should give that specific midpoint-loading position a more technical name so people don't jump to conclusions. I think I'll call it the NLP, so that the word "normal" and "loading" are removed.

The way I understand it is that, at that midpoint-loading NLP (which, for most non-M bimmers can only be achieved with weight on good springs), all the alignment specifications are valid.

At any other point than that midpoint NLP, those alignment specs are no longer valid.
Can it really be that simple?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 08-06-2013, 06:32 PM

That seems like a lot of work for a wheel alignment. Couldn't you just tell them to take out the negative camber a little bit more from where they set it? Edgemotorworks did mine and they took out a little bit more neg camber since this is my DD.

2009 AW 535i
Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: E60 545i B/B, Manual
I was asked by BMW service adviser if I have rear view camera? Any idea what it has to do with wheel alighnment?