Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 PM

Mein Auto: still deciding
1st time 3-series buyer-328 vs. 335 longevity

Hi all,

I am seriously looking at purchasing a used (certified pre-owned) 328ix or 335ix. My local dealer has both. I am well aware of the performance difference! 335 is MT, 328 is fun to drive, but auto.

Here is the dilemma: both are 2009's, they are asking exactly the same price for both cars ($~30k), but the 328 has only 20k miles on it, and the 335 has 40k miles. Of course, both are covered until they hit 100k miles, but I was planning on keeping this car several years, and I drive 15-20k miles per year, probably selling it at around 150k. FWIW, they have a fewer new (sub 10k miles, 2011 and 2012 model years) 328's around too, for only a couple thousand more.

I don't want to get hit with a huge repair bill down the line. Is going with the (essentially) newer (fewer miles) 328 a good idea? I can get another year out of it. Plus, no turbo (I had to replace the turbo twice on one of my Volvos).

On a related note, how reliable are these cars once they hit 100k miles? Do they start nickel and diming you, or are they solid? My last car was a Saab that was a serious PITA once it hit 90k miles. Everything starting going wrong.....OTOH, my old Volvo ran and ran and ran, well past 250k. Should I expect a relatively trouble-free lifetime for both of these cars?

Man, I really feel the pull of the 335. What a fun car to drive. Then again, the 328 is a great car too! Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 09-12-2012, 11:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post
....how reliable are these cars once they hit 100k miles? Do they start nickel and diming you, or are they solid? My last car was a Saab that was a serious PITA once it hit 90k miles. Everything starting going wrong.....OTOH, my old Volvo ran and ran and ran, well past 250k. Should I expect a relatively trouble-free lifetime for both of these cars?
Guessing you travel in snow.

Not cars for those on a budget, go Japanese for reliability. Dealers very expensive.

Excellent ride for the shade tree mechanic with a garage to work in and time to do it.

Truth is, an 80's 911 is much more fun. In Winter, you'll better served in a 4WD diesel truck, very comfy in poor weather.

As you look through this forum you'll find large ammt o'comments re: your concerns. Naturally, lowest everything's had w/328i.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Guessing you travel in snow.

Not cars for those on a budget, go Japanese for reliability. Dealers very expensive.

Excellent ride for the shade tree mechanic with a garage to work in and time to do it.

Truth is, an 80's 911 is much more fun. In Winter, you'll better served in a 4WD diesel truck, very comfy in poor weather.

As you look through this forum you'll find large ammt o'comments re: your concerns. Naturally, lowest everything's had w/328i.
Thanks! I do have a Japanese car for my main ride in the snow. Still, this has to work at least OK. In a big year, we get 40-60 inches here in town, but I drive up to the mountain too. Been driving in the snow for 25 years though, probably a better driver than 97% of the people sliding around out there......

I appreciate the info on repairs. I will do some more searches, and probably consult the local indie repair place. They have a good reputation.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
The problem with predicting reliability for the 335i is that we don't have a good grip on turbo/wastegate problems. There were some early problems that seem to have been fixed, but some people are having problems ~75k miles. But many people seem to be putting ECU mods in, which obviously cause more stress on them... Then there is the whole N54 vs. N55 thing.

The N52 engine has a good reputation for reliability, but remember that it has Valvetronic (so does the N55), which adds a bunch of complexity. There have been isolated problems with the Valvetronic servo going, but it's easy to replace.

Automatic transmissions have been a problem in the past, but the newer 6 speed ones (GM or ZF) in the E9x seem to be improved. But again, we don't have many examples over 100K miles that have been reported on.

At 100K miles, past BMWs have had to have parts (cooling system, suspension bushings and bearings, etc.) that need replacing. Just the way it is. Cooling system seems somewhat improved from past models, but who really knows.

Electronic issues may turn out to be the thing that breaks the camel's back and cause us to trade these cars in.

Just going to throw it out there: the 335d gets significantly better mileage (35 or so highway) than either the 328i (30) or 335i (28). There seem to be quite a few available for not much more than cars you're looking at.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: '08 328i, 06' Z4 3.0
OP: have you looked at the new VW GLI? One of my friends just got one, and I thought it was pretty nice for a new car in the upper 20's price point with maintenance and warranty included for 3 years and the option of a manual if that peaks your interest.

Long term the 328i does not have the turbos, so you don't have to worry about the replacement of them. Both are good cars and you shouldn't go wrong as long as the preventive maintenance is kept up.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:59 PM
Vouloir, Croire et Oser

Mein Auto: BMW 335xi
I was in your exact position back in May of 2011. I bought a 08 335XI CPO with 37k and got a smoking deal ( 28k out the door) BEST decision I ever made and I thank all the people on here that told me to go with the 335xi. AWESOME vehicle and it has been 100% since I bought it.

I should also mention I drive this vehicle hard and it passes 110 MPH at lease 3 times a day on nice flat stretches. Stock exhaust sounds great and reminds me of a formula 1 vehicle.

so far 25k miles ZERO issues

The only thing I do is baby it as far as keeping waxed and clean as well as letting it get up to temp before driving it like a bat outta hell!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Photobucket

Last edited by swiss_seth; 09-13-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 3 Series
i actually am in the same position deciding between the 335 and 328. I also keep cars for the long term. I would say dont short change yourself if you have the money and dont mind the potential reliability issues. I would think the 335 will cost more because of having a turbo engine, plus it will cost more for insurance and gas. Find a local guy who specializes in bmw's as they charge less for labor rates and dont mark up parts. If i had it my way i would take the 335i because it has the power when you need it.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:45 PM

Cool, thanks for the responses. It really helps. I will keep you all posted. Maybe I can get a sweet deal on that 335, nobody wants a manual anymore except me, right?????
Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Just visiting from the 5 series F07 Group. I helped my better half buy her 2010 335 xi (with 6AT) last Hallowe'en after she could not find any of her first choice (a CPO 328 xi) to her liking. She didn't think she needed the extra HP but went for it anyway after getting a great deal and lots of features (only downside was about 53,000 kms (about 32,000 miles) on the odometer but, given the time on the road with the lessee, they were, no doubt, mostly highway miles).

The more she drives it the more she loves it. (She even let me drive it occasionally) The power resonse after 1500 RPM is phenomenal when needed on short expressway on-ramps or on the highway. It is that powertrain (with the 8AT) that led me to buy the 535 GT xi when I had a chance to get an executive-driven one sold as a CPO with only 3100 kms (2500 miles) on it after one year.

If you want fun with that engine and a MT, I say go for it. Good luck.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgcatching View Post

Plus, no turbo (I had to replace the turbo twice on one of my Volvos).

On a related note, how reliable are these cars once they hit 100k miles? Do they start nickel and diming you, or are they solid? My last car was a Saab that was a serious PITA once it hit 90k miles. Everything starting going wrong.....OTOH, my old Volvo ran and ran and ran, well past 250k. Should I expect a relatively trouble-free lifetime for both of these cars?

Man, I really feel the pull of the 335. What a fun car to drive. Then again, the 328 is a great car too! Thanks in advance
My first SAAB was bulletproof. My second SAAB was nothing but trouble. The BMW, I am sad to say, has been even more trouble than the second SAAB. Not that I'm not planning on keeping it for a while, but I don't expect anything near Japanese reliability from any Eurocar. The worst has been Porsche-- and it's not nickels and dimes, it's a minimum of $500-$1000 a pop -- and no, that wouldn't stop me from buying another Porsche. I'd just go into this with my eyes open, and if you've had the Eurocar experience before, you know about it.

My Volvo has nearly 200k on the original engine, transmission and turbocharger. The turbo part of the E90 isn't the scary part. It's the electronics. If BMW had sold the E91 wagon as a 335i in the US, that's what I would have ordered.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 09-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_seth View Post
I was in your exact position back in May of 2011. I bought a 08 335XI CPO with 37k and got a smoking deal ( 28k out the door) BEST decision I ever made and I thank all the people on here that told me to go with the 335xi. AWESOME vehicle and it has been 100% since I bought it.
The only thing I do is baby it as far as keeping waxed and clean as well as letting it get up to temp before driving it like a bat outta hell!

Photobucket

Sweet; love the sparkling graphite (or whatever.) You do know, though, that if you had found one with Coral Red interior it would very nicely match your garage's colors...
Old 09-15-2012, 08:30 PM
Vouloir, Croire et Oser

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Sweet; love the sparkling graphite (or whatever.) You do know, though, that if you had found one with Coral Red interior it would very nicely match your garage's colors...

lol

yeah, I am too much of a traditionalist. I like beige, gray or black leather but my ALL TIME fav. BMW color was a coupe in a deep hunter green metallic, black top and beige interior. Just damn sexy IMHO

I want to say it was a 1998 3 coupe
Old 09-16-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Bmw repairs will eat a lot of your money.if you want bmw get simplest model that means no turbo.just pray that you won't develop oil leaks around 60.70k
Old 09-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Vouloir, Croire et Oser

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boczek View Post
Bmw repairs will eat a lot of your money.if you want bmw get simplest model that means no turbo.just pray that you won't develop oil leaks around 60.70k

I disagree. I bought my CPO in June 2011 and to date have only paid 1000 dollars

Thats 2 oil changes, 1 air filter, 1 air cabin filter, rear brake job (pads only) and 4 new go flat tires

My 335xi is solid as a rock

As far as the Turbo's I would like to see factual data on failure rate as apposed to people saying "Oh, gee wiligers, those old Turbo's will fail and cost you an arm and a leg."

My neighbor has a small independent dealership that sells used cars from auctions. They have a warranty that comes as a added buy on option. I read the fine print and it specifically states turbo's are a covered item. I mention this because if turbos failure was such as common issue the bean counters wouldnt single them out as covered.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 335 E92
buy a 335i .. or buy a Camry / Lexus

Those were my options 1 month ago. I went for the 335i coupe. You should set an objective in your purchase and see if this cars meets your requirements. The 328i did not meet mine.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci 6 Spd, 07 335Cic
if it were me,id bite the bullet and get the 335, but we cant tell you what to get. due to the turbos of the 335, you will have to factor those into maintenance costs, as the 328 doesnt have said turbos. youll have to factor in the power, do you want to hit 60 in 4 and a bit seconds, or around 6 seconds. i cant really see why, for the same amount of money, that you would go for the less powerful BMW, but its your choice..

go for the 335....
Old 10-03-2012, 07:13 PM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
i love my 328xi coupe i wanna get it to 275 hp but probably not going to happen...the only thing i will have to or maybe worry bout is oil leaks hopefully not
Old 10-03-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330ci04 View Post
go for the 335....
Yeah. Gasoline + testosterone + turbos = 335

Let me put it this way... Skim the forum and see how many 335 owners wish they'd bought a 328 vs how many 328 owners wish they'd bought a 335... Just saying...

Last edited by gpburdell; 10-04-2012 at 04:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
I will sell you my 09 335 with 12k miles
Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
Yeah. Gasoline + testosterone + turbos = 335

Let me out it this way... Skim the forum and see how many 335 owners wish they'd bought a 328 vs how many 328 owners wish they'd bought a 335... Just saying...
you are kinda sorta right i think bout a 335 sometimes but thats when i first bought it but as time goes on i love my 328....