Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Welcome to Bimmerfest > BMW News Articles and Announcements

BMW News Articles and Announcements
Read the latest BMW headlines and discuss them with your fellow bimmer enthusiasts!

Old 10-03-2012, 10:01 PM   #1
BMW Experience While Promoting Breast Cancer Awareness
Z4Black
H. Ebel

Show Printable Version Email this Page

Advertisement
posted by Z4Black

BMW Experience While Promoting Breast Cancer Awareness

Hi, I'm an artist, a BMW Z4 driver and someone who likes to give back. Thus, I thought I would share my ultimate BMW driving experience that covers 3,280 miles and 5 states, all while promoting Breast Cancer awareness to raise funds for the National Breast Cancer Foundation (NBCF) in October. For more Information on the Breast Cancer fundraising campaign, visit the NBCF site at: www.stayclassy.com\hebeloriginals.

My BMW experience started on September 7th when I left my Seattle area residence with art easel and breast cancer campaign flyers in hand. The first night I stayed in Coeur d'Alene, ID where the next morning, while promoting breast cancer awareness, I did a sketch of the world famous Coeur d'Alene Golf Course floating green, which I intend to paint in my studio.

After completing the sketch of the floating green, I started making my way to Glacier National Park where late that afternoon I stopped outside the park and took some photos of my BMW Z4 in front of a beautiful stream. Later that night I made it into Kalispell, MT and then spent the next day making my way through beautiful Glacier National Park where I found beauty around every corner. Late that night I landed at a hotel in Billings, MT where the next morning I met up with my brother-in-law who happened to be visiting a friend.

Once I finished promoting the breast cancer campaign around Billings, I joined my brother-in-law in his brand new 2013 ZL1 Camaro (also black). We had lunch at Applebee's and when we entered the restaurant we received a lot of attention from the staff about the two black sports cars. It felt good to be a BMW driver and I think my brother-in-law enjoyed the attention, even though he was in a Chevy. After lunch we made our way to the Bowman\Scranton, ND area where my in-laws farm and ranch. This was also a beautiful drive as the fields were lined with gold wheat crops ready for harvest.

I spent a couple days in North Dakota with my in-laws and then I peeled out for the Black Hills area in South Dakota. This is where I grew up and lived until moving to the Seattle area at the age of thirty. Here I saw my parents and immediate siblings while fishing and taking some choice pictures of my BMW Z4 near Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse Monument and on Needles Highway, all while sketching and promoting breast cancer awareness. If you haven't been through the Black Hills with your top down, I would add it to your bucket list of cruises!

As my valued time with family in the Dakotas came to an end, I pointed my Z4 towards Wyoming where I sketched my Z4 in front of Devils Tower on a 16x20 canvas that I intend to paint in my Seattle-based office/studio. Once I finished the sketch, I made my way through the Big Horn Mountains and into the West entrance of Yellowstone. Then I headed through the Grand Tetons and into Jackson Hole for the night. I took the attached picture of my Z4 in front of the Grand Tetons which will also be painted later this month.

Now overwhelmed with the beauty of Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, I set my Z4's autopilot for Craters of the Moon National Monument and Preserve, 18 miles SW of Arco, Idaho on US 20/26/93. The seven-mile Craters of the Moon loop lets you explore Craters of the Moon. It gives you access to trails that take you over, under and around a variety of volcanic features. This was not a scheduled stop for me but certainly turned out to be a nice find. The road through looks like it was built this year and is certainly passable to all low profile BMWs. I took some more nice shots of my Z4here and later that night made it to Meridian just outside of Boise, ID.

The next day after catching some needed rest in Meridian, ID, I made my way toward La Grande, Oregon but first had to make a to make a couple unscheduled stops. The first stop was crossing the Idaho/Oregon border on 84 at the Snake River (note to self…. the speed limit changes from 75 to 65 and they have a nice young man named Officer Reese that is more than happy to explain that). The second unscheduled stop was in Baker City, Oregon where the guys at Less Schwab found me a loaner right rear tire and had me back in the race a little under 4 hours (yep….next time I think it will be a better idea to put the new tires on before the 3,280 mile road trip). The run flat did the job though and got me 8 miles down the road to Less Schwab, however, I'm not sure it would have went any further.

From Baker City I pushed onto La Grande with a beautiful view at Whitman National Forest and then into Washington State Wine Country near Yakima connecting up to I-90. Once on I-90, I pushed my way through Steven's Pass while watching the sunset and made it back to my Northwest home at 9:00 PM where I was a little late but did celebrate my 21st wedding anniversary.

While this stop concluded my 3280 mile BMW driving experience, I'm continuing to raise money for Breast Cancer awareness through the end of October. Again, to learn more details about this campaign, please visit www.stayclassy.org\hebeloriginals. I hope you enjoyed my BMW experience!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20120919_180719.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	344282  

Last edited by tim330i; 10-04-2012 at 08:06 AM..
This article has been viewed 4069 times.