Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740il
Key turning issue

I posted this a year ago and am just reaching out to see if anyone else has had the same issue. 95% of the time my key turns just fine when I go to start the car, but everyone once in a while the key will not budge at all. There seems to be no pattern to this inconvenience. I know the trick to shake the steering wheel a little so that is not the issue. Sometime it stays "locked" for only a few minutes and sometimes it is an hour or so. Also does anyone have any idea of the cost of just replacing the tumbler and key?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 08:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dseemgoblue View Post
... does anyone have any idea of the cost of just replacing the tumbler and key?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
(the comments below are NOT an endorsement that this is the solution to the problem you mention...it only gives an example of how easy it is to find the answer to the question quoted above..using the online part databases...in case you have other situations like this in the future)

IF...there's something wrong with your (tumbler) ignition...there's no need to replace the key (which would add significantly to the overall cost)...the ignition barrel can be replaced much more cost effectively...and it can be ordered based on your car's VIN/key blade cut etc so that you can keep the keys you already have that also operate your door, trunk, and glove box. To get a new ignition & key would create a situation where you'd have to use two different keys with different cuts to operate all the lock cylinders on your car...which goes on to be even more difficult to imagine with overcoming EWS where the key, EWS control module, DME/ECU, and Ring Antenna must all have the same matching ISN (individual serial number) in order for the car to start.

My suggestion would be to find out why the ignition barrel (tumbler) is hanging up. There have been many discussions about this over the e38 & e39 production years (they both use the same set-up as well as other BMW models during this same time period). If you get nothing doing a search here...try a GOOGLE search or even YOUTUBE. Good luck.

To replace a bad ignition barrel...you'd need to order item #6 in the diagram below from a BMW dealer...click the link to the online part database to see the part nbr and approx (wholsale) price):

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg