Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 07Z4MCoupe
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 M Coupe
Full Exhaust Question

So I'm looking at a full exhaust for my 07 Z4M Coupe. I find what I think are all the required parts but I dont know too much about this as I am just starting out in modding and performance upgrades with absolutely NO experience in this area.

So what I found was -
Supersprint Headers - $$2,600.00
Supersprint Metallic Cats - $3,111.00
Supersprint connecting pipes - $891.00
Supersprint "rear" connecting pipes - $845.00
RPI Exhaust - $960.00

This is a total of about $8,400.00

Is this all accurate in reference to what I need for a true full exhaust?

Are there other components necissary to have this completed?

And - is a $10,000 installed exhaust really worth it?

Please help...

This is going to be my weekend rider/track car and will stay in my family forever considering how much my kids, wife, and I enjoy it.

Let me know what you guys think and of course in order to make this exhaust worth every penny I am planning on quite a few other mods:

Ess supercharger, (with intercooler etc)

AFE intake (unless there is a better one that you know of, or if custom would be a better way to go)

fully adjustible suspension with damper etc. (still weighing out the options and reviews)

complete tune and Dyno run for documentation purposes following each install

and yes, light weight wheels and tires are coming prior to any of this, most likely next month, still looking at what I want to get (18's or 19's... ???)

Please let me know what you guys think and or point me in the right direction here. I'm more than willing to do this if you guys think this is an awesome way to go.

Thanks for all the help.

Should be getting this as a christmas present if it all is worked out and researched by then.

Last edited by 07Z4MCoupe; 10-04-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 03:21 AM

Mein Auto: 08 x3(gone) 03 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Z4MCoupe View Post
And - is a $10,000 installed exhaust really worth it?
You're the one that has to answer that question.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 Z4MR, 03 Z4 3.0i
First, try a search, whether through this forum or google. There are plenty of answers out there to your questions, but I'll summarize.

There are essentially four pieces to your exhaust system:
1. headers
2. s-pipe ("section 1")
3. x-pipe ("section 2")
4. mufflers ("section 3")

The s-pipe looks like an S and x-pipe looks like an X. Gains are typically largest from swapping out exhaust pieces closest to the engine. Catalytic converters are located in your headers and s-pipe, and a resonator is located in your x-pipe.

1. Your primary catalytic converters are located in the headers. Installing catless aftermarket headers yields 15-25 hp depending on quality and design. In header design, you can focus torque gains in specific rpm bands. **There's no magic header that does it all** Supersprint stepped headers yield the most power gains of any headers overall, but they are focused around high rpm horsepower. V1 stepped > V2 stepped; however, V1 stepped require a special Supersprint s-pipe, whereas V2 stepped mate to the OEM s-pipe. Non-stepped regular headers add more torque (and therefore more power) at low rpm. Buy headers tuned to the rpm band in which you want to maximize your gains.

If you delete your primary cats by installing aftermarket headers, your car will not be emissions legal and the secondary O2 sensors will cause a check engine light. The light can be defeated with a tune, simulator, or by relocating the secondary O2 sensors beyond the cats in the s-pipe. The ECU compares the secondary O2 sensor readings with primary O2 sensor readings to determine if your cats are running efficiently. Obviously if you delete the primary cats with a header install, the computer will sense that the cats aren't running efficiently because they simply aren't there. By relocating the sensors to post-cats in the s-pipe, the computer will see a catalytic converter between the primary and secondary O2 sensors and viola- no light. Your car still won't be legal, but you likely won't get caught unless you're in Cali and are being inspected by a thorough tester.

Using a tune to defeat the O2 sensor code will cause you to fail an OBDII readiness test during inspection. However, if inspections aren't an issue, a tune is a an easy way to go.

I've yet to see a simulator that avoids a light on a Z4M. I'm going to be making my own when I install my headers on my 3.0i.

Headers add a lot of good sound and a little bit of bad sound. Most dislike the added rasp (a resultant from deleting the primary cats), but the tradeoff in other sounds and extra power is considered worth it.

2. Swapping your OEM s-pipe can add up to 10 hp. However, beware that installing catless headers and a catless s-pipe will add A LOT of rasp. The majority of the population will think the car sounds terrible unless you have additional resonators welded in. The sound will be exceptionally polarizing. And, without cats in the headers or s-pipe you have no way of fooling the computer into thinking you have primary cats installed through relocation of the O2 sensors.

You CAN keep your stock headers in place and only swap the s-pipe without triggering a check engine light. As you are removing an emissions device, it's still not legal... but it requires much less work and is cheaper than a header swap.

3. There's little power to be gained from swapping the x-pipe. The OEM x-pipe has a resonator in place that eliminates some rasp and improves sound. However, if you are keeping the stock headers and s-pipe in place, the x-pipe is a good place to get some burble and pop on downshifts without a lot of extra noise. The car will sound a little meaner and dirtier with an aftermarket x-pipe. Again, most notice little to no performance gain.

4. Mufflers offer the least gain of any piece, but have the greatest impact on sound. RPI mufflers are the loudest. Many consider them too loud even with an otherwise stock car, and owners add sound deadening materials just to make the car tolerable. I personally have Rogue Diablos, which are about one notch down from RPI (maybe 75%). If you are replacing the rest of the exhaust system, consider going for "sport" rather than "race" mufflers... especially if you've never done this before. People deal with exhaust drone differently. Remus, Supersprint Sport, Eisenmann Sport, and Stromung are good places to start.

My advice is to spend your money learning how to drive the car first, then worry about trying to get more power. Add some mufflers and enjoy the car.

If you're set on spending tons of money on the car, browse the forums (zpost, bimmerforums, etc) for some second hand parts. I bought my Z4M V1 stepped headers for $450 shipped; my 3.0i's regular Supersprint headers for $700 shipped (Jet Hot coated too, and brand new!); and a new Supersprint race muffler for $300.

Finally, use the search feature!

G Power Z4M and VF Engineering Z4 3.0i
Old 10-04-2012, 05:20 AM

much appreciated

Thanks for the great info, I will definately save this and refer to it when researching this a lot further. regarding spending the money on driving, I am way ahead of ya, I definately plan on hitting the BMW track in NC and doing a lot of other courses offered through the comapny I work for.

I just dont have the mechanical or technical knowledge not to mention the experience with the Z4 M Coupe specifically. I know there are a lot of people here who have tried and tested many many versions of mods so I figured it to be the best place to ask.

Thanks again, I appreciate all the help.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:42 AM

Mein Auto: sloporsche
VIR is close to you imho sign up for a 2 day course and see what you and the car need. 10 grand for an exhaust ??????????????????????????????????????????
Old 10-04-2012, 05:50 AM

I was just talking to one of my friends about VIR, I might head up there once I'm back in the states. (work overseas most of the year contracting)
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Known as Finnegan

Mein Auto: 07 Sapphire Black Z4Mc
For 8K you could have a supercharger paid for and installed.

Before dropping that kind of cash take Pokey's advice.

Also consider that if you track the car the $$$s add up quickly in terms of track days, instruction. lodging, tires, brakes, and maintenance.
2007 Sapphire Black Z4M / LeatherZ Goodies / Turner Camber Kit / Clutch Stop / Ultimate Pedals / DIY Stubby / #1047
2012 Golf TDI (DD)
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Gangsta

Mein Auto: Z32
I think if you have the money, get it! Just imagine how gangster it would be. Of course, I 100% agree with being a better driver. Nothing sucks more than having nice stuff, but not being fast with it.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: E53 X5, E86 Z4MC
Agreed with Pokeybritches and FinneganZ.

Guess the OP wants a deaf wish Talk about wanting to go deaf in a hurry - All the supersprint pipes + RPI cans requires you to wear ear muff and mouth guard on every drive. That is just asking for a sound ticket everywhere you go. The RPI cans alone is already a sound ticket magnet.

Last edited by dkl; 10-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.