Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 06:59 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
reflector delete is pretty pointless who the hell notices it? doesnt look that much better imo. not to mention wouldnt you feel great if you got plowed into by some old lady pulling into traffic cause she can barely see and would have noticed the reflector... all to make you 3 series like 1% "better"
Old 10-04-2012, 07:50 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris328 View Post
reflector delete is pretty pointless who the hell notices it? doesnt look that much better imo. not to mention wouldnt you feel great if you got plowed into by some old lady pulling into traffic cause she can barely see and would have noticed the reflector... all to make you 3 series like 1% "better"
Enthusiasts can get focused on details so I understand and respect the reflector debate, just like all the other changes owners focus on (like debadging).

But, for me, I don't see the big deal. Barely noticeable. I never gave them a second thought.

That old lady was asking for it though.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Many F30 enthusiasts purchase what are called "xenon" headlamps to replace the halogen ones. They create more light, run bright even in daylight, and make the car look more original, like it's European cousins.

Many new technological innovations like this have occurred since 2005.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Many F30 enthusiasts purchase what are called "xenon" headlamps to replace the halogen ones. They create more light, run bright even in daylight, and make the car look more original, like it's European cousins.

Many new technological innovations like this have occurred since 2005.

BJ
In the case of Xenon headlights I think it occured in 1998 on the 3 series.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
I agree. I don't think the front side reflectors detract much at all from the overall looks of the car, especially when all cars are supposed to have them. And, this is coming from someone who is OCD!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I agree. I don't think the front side reflectors detract much at all from the overall looks of the car, especially when all cars are supposed to have them. And, this is coming from someone who is OCD!
I don't think I have ever noticed that an E9x had the reflectors deleted. I am sure I have seen cars that this had been done to but I never paid attention.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-04-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 e91 X-drive, 6MT
Quote:
Yes, not a big deal, and so much better than the orange reflectors inside the headlight before LCI. Those were very noticable.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 View Post
Yes, not a big deal, and so much better than the orange reflectors inside the headlight before LCI. Those were very noticable.
They don't bother me in the least.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-04-2012, 02:34 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
They don't bother me in the least.
+1.

But, again, enthusiasts are all about the details, so I understand that others might not feel the same.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I don't think I have ever noticed that an E9x had the reflectors deleted. I am sure I have seen cars that this had been done to but I never paid attention.

CA
I guess I really never considered the amber reflectors or lights before this thread. When I was out driving today, I started looking at what each car had. It started to become an obsession, so thanks, just what I needed was another obsession in my life!
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I guess I really never considered the amber reflectors or lights before this thread. When I was out driving today, I started looking at what each car had. It started to become an obsession, so thanks, just what I needed was another obsession in my life!

The E90 handled the reflector requirement in a subtle, cool sort of way. Flows nicely with the car.

The F30 executes it poorly, looks like a stuck-on bandage, very uncool. So it must go.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-04-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:47 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:

The E90 handled the reflector requirement in a subtle, cool sort of way. Flows nicely with the car.

The F30 executes it poorly, looks like a stuck-on bandage, very uncool. So it must go.

BJ
There's that awful word again. I thought the placement was a perfect example of form follows function. It is a reflector. It should be in a perfect position for reflecting. On the F30 it is.
Nothing "stuck-on" on that car at all.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:08 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Stuck on reflectors, stuck on navigation system...what's next stuck on M badges???

More bling for the shallow status enthusiast no doubt.

What options are available for the spirited commuter who likes to push his car, but not enough to affect resale value?
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 10-05-2012, 08:53 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post
Stuck on reflectors, stuck on navigation system...what's next stuck on M badges???

What options are available for the spirited commuter who likes to push his car, but not enough to affect resale value?
Shell 93 Octane.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-ratedE90 View Post

The best option for the F30 is the dynamic handling package. Adjustable shock absorbers.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Brought my 2011 in to the dealer for the 30k vehicle check. They changed the oil, brake fluid, and in cabin filter along with a full inspection. I was given a 2012 base model 328i with 4000 miles on it for the day. I thought I was going to be excited, but actually was underwhelmed. The positive was the power, smooth and quick. The rest was of the car felt very loose on the road. I felt like I had to make steering corrections whether I was in sport mode or comfort, very sloppy. The suspension was harsh over all road irregularities in comfort or sport mode. The quality felt cheap. Whats up with the turn signal click sound? Horrible! Maybe the car was beat on since it was a loaner, but my E90 with 30k makes less noise and drives like its brand new. The BMW sport feeling has gone out the window with the F30. It drives like a main stream Toyota Camry! I really tried to like this car, but after picking up my E90 with its tight precise steering there is no comparison. No wonder why sales are down!

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
Brought my 2011 in to the dealer for the 30k vehicle check. They changed the oil, brake fluid, and in cabin filter along with a full inspection. I was given a 2012 base model 328i with 4000 miles on it for the day. I thought I was going to be excited, but actually was underwhelmed. The positive was the power, smooth and quick. The rest was of the car felt very loose on the road. I felt like I had to make steering corrections whether I was in sport mode or comfort, very sloppy. The suspension was harsh over all road irregularities in comfort or sport mode. The quality felt cheap. Whats up with the turn signal click sound? Horrible! Maybe the car was beat on since it was a loaner, but my E90 with 30k makes less noise and drives like its brand new. The BMW sport feeling has gone out the window with the F30. It drives like a main stream Toyota Camry! I really tried to like this car, but after picking up my E90 with its tight precise steering there is no comparison. No wonder why sales are down!
There's no question that BMW softened the F30 for those of us (raises hand) that are more interested in a comfortable ride than a harsh one. I loved many things about my E90 M-Sport, but the pothole explosions were not one of them, made my kids nauesous just to ride in it.

So what you used to view as the "base" suspension on a 3 Series is now on what is called the Sport line. Had you driven that, you'd have been impressed that a car that's larger is that nimble on its feet, the quick acceleration you noticed plus the traditional firmer ride. For another $900 you can add the Adaptive M Suspension which is the best of both worlds. Push a button, it adjusts for the soft Comfort ride of the base that you drove, push it again and it adjusts to the firm Sport ride of the Sport line that you would have liked.

What used to be a 3 Series given- a taut, connected ride- is now something you have to ask for. It's still there, but if you test drive the wrong version you're going to be disappointed.

BJ

Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
There's no question that BMW softened the F30 for those of us (raises hand) that are more interested in a comfortable ride than a harsh one. I loved many things about my E90 M-Sport, but the pothole explosions were not one of them, made my kids nauesous just to ride in it.

So what you used to view as the "base" suspension on a 3 Series is now on what is called the Sport line. Had you driven that, you'd have been impressed that a car that's larger is that nimble on its feet, the quick acceleration you noticed plus the traditional firmer ride. For another $900 you can add the Adaptive M Suspension which is the best of both worlds. Push a button, it adjusts for the soft Comfort ride of the base that you drove, push it again and it adjusts to the firm Sport ride of the Sport line that you would have liked.

What used to be a 3 Series given- a taut, connected ride- is now something you have to ask for. It's still there, but if you test drive the wrong version you're going to be disappointed.

BJ
Are you getting paid to post stuff like this in defense of BMW?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:

BJ
I wonder why BMW changed the positioning of the reflector? The angle from the E90 looks like it would still work on the F30. I still don't think I would cover it though because the cover looks like your car is missing some option.

Last edited by beden1; 10-05-2012 at 08:55 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:

BJ
Well said. BMW knows its market and it's not us. The F30 base model fits their customer base to a 'T'. If you want the performance we had with the E90 you can still get it, but now they fit you with an 'M'.
BMW is out to kick ass. Ass is not kicked on the track but with production numbers. BJ speaks the truth about what it takes to sell to the larger market. It's as simple as that.
Porsche knows it. Audi and Mercedes know it. Even Ferarri knows it! Now you know it. We may not like the dilution, the fuzziness, the lack of precision, but the vast majority of their customers will be quite happy in an upscale performance Camry, thank you very much.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Well said. BMW knows its market and it's not us.
How sad. I still get a little jittery and adrenaline rushed when I get to take it to 5K in second gear coming out of a tight 15 mph turn. That being said, I mourn for the F30 drivers who will miss the rush.

One more reason to hold on to my not so refined E93.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Got Roundel?

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
How sad. I still get a little jittery and adrenaline rushed when I get to take it to 5K in second gear coming out of a tight 15 mph turn. That being said, I mourn for the F30 drivers who will miss the rush.

One more reason to hold on to my not so refined E93.
+1, rip to adrenaline rush in the bimmer
2011 335i coupe (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Shell 93 Octane.
Or, where available, 101 octane unleaded racing pump gas. The only way to get 93+ octane in CA is to blend in 101 octane unleaded racing gas (if it is available nearby). Otherwise, it is 91 octane piss-water.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:38 AM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Or, where available, 101 octane unleaded racing pump gas. The only way to get 93+ octane in CA is to blend in 101 octane unleaded racing gas (if it is available nearby). Otherwise, it is 91 octane piss-water.
Just for laughs, what's 101 octane going for these days? We can buy it here in NH at a very few stations (Hafner's in Hudson is my closest). The last time I bought some was about four years ago and it was $12/gal., gotta be a lot more now with regular gas twice as much as then.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Just for laughs, what's 101 octane going for these days? We can buy it here in NH at a very few stations (Hafner's in Hudson is my closest). The last time I bought some was about four years ago and it was $12/gal., gotta be a lot more now with regular gas twice as much as then.
The last time I purchased the 101 octane stuff was back in 2008 before the economy tanked. Gas prices were close to where they are now, and at the time, the 101 octane gas was running close to $9/gallon. I would imagine the 101 octane stuff is presently around $9/gallon, although with the supply disruptions that are occurring with CA refineries, the price of the stuff that gets blended to make 101 octane gas, is new territory nowadays. For example, gas prices jumped $0.30 in one day (!) two days ago.