Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0i
Engine electrical... I have a spare disconnected wire, where does it go?

My car: 2001 X5 3.0i with manual transmission

The car seems to be running just fine.
The engine light and/or other error lights are not displayed.

----------------

I recently replaced my pcv valve and along the way had to remove several items from the intake manifold side of the engine.

I unbolted the electric harness box that is located under the DISA valve and disconnected several of the wires that led from the electric harness box so I could gain access to the pcv valve and pipes and replace them.

When I put everything back together I came up with a spare unattached wire leading from the electric harness box. I need help identifying it and determining what it should be plugged in to (if anything).

The car runs fine and the engine light is not displayed... all seems well. I found the wire tucked up under the intake manifold and fished it out so I could photograph it.

I have traced down all of the other wires going into and out of this electric harness box... they are connected to the following things:

Top of box (left to right):
- mass airflow sensor
- idle control valve
- disa valve

Left of box (top to bottom - more or less):
- water sensor... perhaps temperature
- purge valve
- mystery wire
- oil filter housing
- alternator

Bottom of box
- input wires to this electric harness box

The big question: what is this mystery wire supposed to be plugged in to? Or is it unused in this particular engine's configuration?

Thanks for your help in figuring this out.

I have attached two photos:
One photo shows the connector at the end of the wire.
The other photo shows the length of the wire + connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	end of connection shown.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	344161   Click image for larger version

Name:	length of wire shown.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	344162  
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 3.0i
I found where the mystery wire goes.

Up under the intake manifold next to the pcv valve in one of the most inaccessible and invisible locations there is a electrical connection to the oil pressure warning switch.

I recall now disconnecting it because it was in the way when I was connecting the new vent hose from the cylinder head cover to the new pcv valve.

By the way, the BMW term for the pcv valve is apparently the "crankcase breather valve".

I will see about posting photos of the junction box with all of its wires and photos of where each wire is connected to sensors throughout the engine... so I will never have this problem again (i.e. where does this wire go?)

I guess I was overconfident and thought I would be able to remember all of the details when disassembling so I could reassemble without any problems... hmmm.... guess not on this occasion.