Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
pay it forward

Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
my brakes are better than a pontiac

Just got rear ended (less then 5mph when impacted) while picking up my son from school. Car was tailgating me while I braked when I noticed the person in front of me quickly decided to make a left hand turn! The rain really brings out the most fabulous drivers. The child who got out of the car had the audacity to say to me, "What happened?" I laughed and said that I was just rear ended. His reply was "Oh $hit, my dad is going to kill me!" I must say, the bumper held up. Just two small nicks in the rear bumper. Pics to follow after I crack open a Westmalle trappist. Not even worth filing a claim IMO. Maybe Karma will pay me back and I will hit the lotto tonight (my birthday) so that I can now trade in my beater 335 for an M3. LOL. The most important lesson I learned from this is that a) thank goodness no one was hurt and b) the brakes on the 335 are amazing! No real point to this thread, just a little venting and thankfully, my idealistic view of my car is the only thing tarnished here.
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Ha, I always have to pay attention to the cars behind me when I'm braking hard in traffic on the commute--I know I can out-brake the majority of cars (and all SUVs) on the road.

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328Xi
And c) Happy Birthday!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Since you got rear-ended, why not file a claim and get he car professionally checked? Sometimes a little bump can cause damage that down the road might have to cost you out of pocket. Case in point with both bumpers, the screws holding them in are often easily damaged by small impacts and might eventually fail, requiring replacement of the entire bumper.

Since you are not at fault, why risk it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-03-2012, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 ix
Glad no one was hurt. I really hate those that think they are NASCAR drivers and can tailgate you and have the reaction time to miss...but they don't. On the highway I will either (a) turn on taillights, so they think I am braking; or (b) just take my foot of the gas and force them to go around. I resist the temptation to tailgate them back, but I might flick the headlights at them, to make myself feel vindicated (that's a word, right?).

And happy birthday to you.

Angie
Old 10-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 08 335Xi, 2013 X1
I thank you for not claiming Keep my rates down and I am sure the kid got a nice lesson...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
The week I got my car my buddy warned me about the brakes. Said my concern wasn't going to be how well they worked, but how well the guy's behind me would. I've found that to be true a couple of times. I'm very pleased with my brakes.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Glad nobody was hurt. That "government motors" brakes don't work as well as BMW brakes may be the understatement of the year in here.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Since you got rear-ended, why not file a claim and get he car professionally checked? Sometimes a little bump can cause damage that down the road might have to cost you out of pocket. Case in point with both bumpers, the screws holding them in are often easily damaged by small impacts and might eventually fail, requiring replacement of the entire bumper.

Since you are not at fault, why risk it?
maybe because.... A. He doesn't want to screw over the kid for no REAL reason or B. Doesn't see a point in causing the kids (or his) insurance to "potentially" go up because of a "non-incident" that was reported.

Why do SO MANY people think that they HAVE to be opportunistic at EVERY chance. The OP did the RIGHT thing. Why would you try to encourage him otherwise? It's not likely that he has any damage for a 5MPH accident. The bumpers are DESIGNED to handle it. Please tell me that you are not one of these people that would go run up a $12,000 chiropractic bill on a poor kid who barely hit him.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 10-03-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
Glad no one was hurt. I really hate those that think they are NASCAR drivers and can tailgate you and have the reaction time to miss...but they don't. On the highway I will either (a) turn on taillights, so they think I am braking; or (b) just take my foot of the gas and force them to go around. I resist the temptation to tailgate them back, but I might flick the headlights at them, to make myself feel vindicated (that's a word, right?).

And happy birthday to you.

Angie
Do you drive in the passing lane?

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
maybe because.... A. He doesn't want to screw over the kid for no REAL reason or B. Doesn't see a point in causing the kids (or his) insurance to "potentially" go up because of a "non-incident" that was reported.

Why do SO MANY people think that they HAVE to be opportunistic at EVERY chance. The OP did the RIGHT thing. Why would you try to encourage him otherwise? It's not likely that he has any damage for a 5MPH accident. The bumpers are DESIGNED to handle it. Please tell me that you are not one of these people that would go run up a $12,000 chiropractic bill on a poor kid who barely hit him.
You're putting words into my mouth. This is not screwing anybody over, this is asking someone that damaged your property to own up to it and have his/her insurance pay for the damages. Why would the OP have to deal with even a slight scratch in his car because someone tailgated him and consequently hit him? I didn't suggest the OP go out and make up fake claims about injuries and have his FRONT bumper replaced or something silly. I'm not sure where you get the idea here that anyone is poor either. The OP has a BMW and the kid was driving a car. That must mean both parties have some income.

Case and point, my wife was rear-ended at low speed with her car after we had just gotten it. Car had less than 100 miles on it, was a lease, and yes, there was hardly a scratch on the bumper, but clearly, it was visible damage. Of course we filed a claim and got it fixed. For one thing, the car was practically new, so we felt quite bummed someone had damaged it already. Beyond that, it was a lease and eventually, we'd probably have to pay for the damage when turning the vehicle in. More importantly though, you never know what got knocked loose under there, even at low speeds.

Bumper was repainted and car inspected and that was the end of it. That is how insurance works; that is not screwing someone over. If I rear ended someone at low speed I would not feel screwed if they got their car inspected and fixed. Vice versa, I'd do the same if it was my car being rear-ended.

Since when is holding someone responsible for damages they caused screwing them over?

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 10-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
You're putting words into my mouth. This is not screwing anybody over, this is asking someone that damaged your property to own up to it and have his/her insurance pay for the damages. Why would the OP have to deal with even a slight scratch in his car because someone tailgated him and consequently hit him? I didn't suggest the OP go out and make up fake claims about injuries and have his FRONT bumper replaced or something silly. I'm not sure where you get the idea here that anyone is poor either. The OP has a BMW and the kid was driving a car. That must mean both parties have some income.

Case and point, my wife was rear-ended at low speed with her car after we had just gotten it. Car had less than 100 miles on it, was a lease, and yes, there was hardly a scratch on the bumper, but clearly, it was visible damage. Of course we filed a claim and got it fixed. For one thing, the car was practically new, so we felt quite bummed someone had damaged it already. Beyond that, it was a lease and eventually, we'd probably have to pay for the damage when turning the vehicle in. More importantly though, you never know what got knocked loose under there, even at low speeds.

Bumper was repainted and car inspected and that was the end of it. That is how insurance works; that is not screwing someone over. If I rear ended someone at low speed I would not feel screwed if they got their car inspected and fixed. Vice versa, I'd do the same if it was my car being rear-ended.

Since when is holding someone responsible for damages they caused screwing them over?
Amen!!!

Keep Right, Except to Pass

Than & Then usage - "It was hotter than hades (comparison). Then later on (time) it got cool."

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune - I like it!
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!