Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-04-2012, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I have no dog in this fight, but I have long since learned to distrust "official" weights by a significant margin. The face that the two cars were tested to the same spec (passengers, fluids, etc.) on the same set of scales on the same day means much more to me.
Maybe I'm missing something; do the 3 cars have the same options? Pls point out the relevant portion/page/link.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
I see both gross weight and kerb weights and they are different. What's up with that?

Regards,

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donm View Post
I see both gross weight and kerb weights and they are different. What's up with that?

Regards,
Generally, kerb weight is when empty and gross is with passengers etc

But BMW's unladen weight can be "The figure quoted includes a 90 per cent tank filling,  68 kg for the driver and 7 kg for luggage.
Unladen weight applies to vehicles with standard equipment. Optional equipment may
increase this figure."
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
I assume you disregarded the official US BMW and Audi websites for your own motives; and you know for a fact that the 3 cars tested had the same options incl seats
I'm not shocked you call BS on the weights. It's hilarious that you believe everything that BMW says to you.

For example, BMW quotes 240hp for the F30 N20, but it's making 240hp at the wheels. Not at the crank that most other makers quote. Do you also believe quoted 0-60 times by BMW. Again, real world numbers are usually much different.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: '13 M 550i, BMW f800st
Now, why would they lie?

It isn't broken yet but I can fix that!

2013 550i Titanium Silver Metallic Dinan S3 , BMW F800ST, ML350
Old 10-04-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'm not shocked you call BS on the weights. It's hilarious that you believe everything that BMW says to you.

For example, BMW quotes 240hp for the F30 N20, but it's making 240hp at the wheels. Not at the crank that most other makers quote. Do you also believe quoted 0-60 times by BMW. Again, real world numbers are usually much different.
It's neither according to http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=dyno and http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...highlight=dyno

I trust you understand the requirement to meet the (minimum) stated hp.

I assume then that you do not know whether the 7 series and A8 pointed by you have the same options
Old 10-04-2012, 08:21 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
Maybe I'm missing something; do the 3 cars have the same options? Pls point out the relevant portion/page/link.
By same spec I did not mean options. I meant with or without fluids, gas, etc.

I you look at the full test, all three cars are pretty decently optioned. The only big difference in spec you will get are seats and tires, and neither are significantly different on these cars

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-04-2012, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
By same spec I did not mean options. I meant with or without fluids, gas, etc.

I you look at the full test, all three cars are pretty decently optioned. The only big difference in spec you will get are seats and tires, and neither are significantly different on these cars
I may still be missing something.

For the A8: "It is also the least costly, starting at $84,875 and tested at $88,375, with two options aboard that would appeal only ***8201;to owners who eschew chauffeurs: the $2300 Audi Drive Select Plus package, which includes dynamic variable-ratio steering and a torque-vectoring rear differential, plus $1200 worth of 20-inch wheels with summer tires."

For the 7: "Our blue example, with its twin-turbo, 4.4-liter V-8 blowing out 400 horsepower, carried more than $10,000 in options, including $3750 in sport-driving addenda such as dynamic anti-roll bars and variable four-wheel steering. You get Oyster Nappa leather and matte-finish wood everywhere, plus a navigation system, for the base price but pay $1800 for the stereo upgrade with iPod and USB adapters and $1300 each for a head-up display and a set of 19-inch wheels. " The tires for the 7 are run flats
Old 10-04-2012, 08:46 PM

Mein Auto: German
^ So runflats are your excuse for the almost 300 lb weight difference? Are you forgetting that the A8 even has AWD with that ridiculous weight difference?

Stuff like Nappa leather, navigation, iPod/USB are already standard on the A8... It's a porker, no matter how you try to make the numbers work in your favor. Simple as that.

That being said, you have earned a spot on the coveted Ignore List™. Your constant ignorance and baiting are waste of everyone's time.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
... So is the current Audi A8. That is why it is significantly lighter than an equivalent 7 series, even with its AWD system.
I presume that's your best reply, and you don't appreciate the meaning of "including" wrt the 750iL