Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-01-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
Brake Pads

Just trying to get some consensuses...

Which brake pads / price / where did you get from?

I'm staring at these:
Axxis/PBR Metal Master Brake Pads - Front ~ $59.95
and
Axxis/PBR Metal Master Brake Pads - Rear ~ $44.95

Yay? Nay?
Origin: BMW @ Munich, Germany

Last edited by NoGuts; 10-01-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: Many
I don't know much about those but the AKEBONO is a real good pad and I like the Hawks however we don't sell anything that cheap . Take a look if you would like.

http://www.eaceuroparts.com/parts/pa...ge/31/2005/308
Old 10-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGuts View Post

I'm staring at these:
and

Yay? Nay?
Pagid if you want OEM stopping power, and Akebono if you want less and lighter colored dust, with less initial bite. I like the OEM pads because of the feel. Washing wheels twice a week during the summer is the only downside. Remember, sometimes accidents are avoided by inches, and with OEM pads I can lock em up at 60 with no problem. If you track the car, ceramic might be the better option.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/category_s/1910.htm
Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:

I'm staring at these:
and

Yay? Nay?
Have exactly what you have and got 'em from Turner.
Love them for 50K miles so far.
Stop from cold like you were committing murder.
Leave wheels much cleaner than BMW pads.

Here's the review I wrote about them five years ago when I installed them:

Axxis MM brake pads
Recently the question of these pads and cold stops came up and so I decided when I was out testing my Koniís that my pads had been completely broken in, enough to not have to baby them any longer.
A few times at about sixty mph, I gave the brakes just short of full panic stop pressure. I had never used them that severely before, and was astounded what g force this car is capable of with the large rotors, large soft tire patch, and quality pads. The first stop was completely cold and solidly as safe as you would ever need. Iím used to considering my e46 as a thing of beauty, but this stopping power is brutal.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The Dude abides.

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
I have them as well, although I disagree with GoForthFast regarding the cold stopping torque. I find there's a second to two before there's enough heat generated to get them to START to bite hard - this is the case with all semi metallic pads as well as with full on ceramic. You're trading the initial bite of the organic OEM pads for less brake dust and more fade resistance under repeated hard breaking maneuvers. It'll be enough to get you to pucker up during an emergency stop first thing in the morning.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 330ci, R1200C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
Pagid if you want OEM stopping power, and Akebono if you want less and lighter colored dust, with less initial bite. I like the OEM pads because of the feel. Washing wheels twice a week during the summer is the only downside. Remember, sometimes accidents are avoided by inches, and with OEM pads I can lock em up at 60 with no problem. If you track the car, ceramic might be the better option.

http://www.oembimmerparts.com/category_s/1910.htm
I like OEM stopping power too...so I put on TEXSTAR pads-since that was the OEM pads I took off with Zimmerman rotors and I feel I lost stopping power on my 330ci. Only have about 80 miles on them but I am a little dissappointed so far- maybe the Texstar state side compound is not the same? or is it the Zimmerman rotors? not sure and have not had them long enough to see if they make OEM brake dust and if braking improves.

I put EBC pads with Brembo rotors on my wifes 323i and felt no difference from OEM stopping power.

Not sure yet, but hoping I did not make a mistake with what I thought were OEM Texstar pads with better than OEM rotors?
Old 10-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Also a big fan of Pagid (OEM type) pads, they bite like Godzilla whether cold, hot, or whatever, giving me total confidence in them, which overrides their only downside, which is that they dust more than average.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
I installed Wagner cross slotted discs and ceramic quick stop pads on all 4 wheels. Love the OEM feel and soundless stopping power.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by QAfred View Post
I like OEM stopping power too...so I put on TEXSTAR pads-since that was the OEM pads I took off with Zimmerman rotors and I feel I lost stopping power on my 330ci. Only have about 80 miles on them but I am a little dissappointed so far- maybe the Texstar state side compound is not the same? or is it the Zimmerman rotors? not sure and have not had them long enough to see if they make OEM brake dust and if braking improves.

I put EBC pads with Brembo rotors on my wifes 323i and felt no difference from OEM stopping power.

Not sure yet, but hoping I did not make a mistake with what I thought were OEM Texstar pads with better than OEM rotors?
Sometimes it takes a while for the thin film of braking material to be deposited onto the rotor that's needed for maximum stopping power. Give it about another 200 miles and you should be fine. Find a safe spot and heat um up a little!!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: '04 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
Also a big fan of Pagid (OEM type) pads, they bite like Godzilla whether cold, hot, or whatever, giving me total confidence in them, which overrides their only downside, which is that they dust more than average.
But do they dust more, less, or equal to OEM?

And which Pagids? Red, blue?

I, too am searching for the holy grail: Pads with good initial cold bite yet less dust than OEM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
It's all a compromise between the two. Can't make both ideal.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishful Thinking View Post
But do they dust more, less, or equal to OEM?

And which Pagids? Red, blue?

I, too am searching for the holy grail: Pads with good initial cold bite yet less dust than OEM.
Pagid *IS* OEM (BMW sources their pads from several suppliers). I`ve never tried the Reds myself, but have heard that they`re not too different from the regular pads. It`s a fairly personal thing, kinda like having a favorite pair of shoes....they`re good for *you*, but maybe not everybody else....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:47 AM

try a combination of Wagner cross slotted rotors and quiet stop ceramics. I really like the way they perform. ABSOLUTELY soundless. Great grip even in the mornings, and a little brake dust.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
try a combination of Wagner cross slotted rotors and quiet stop ceramics. I really like the way they perform. ABSOLUTELY soundless. Great grip even in the mornings, and a little brake dust.
Good to know....where did you purchase them, and what was the cost ?

Old 10-04-2012, 09:59 AM

I think the discs run at about 60 each. You can get them for cheaper at RockAuto.com, but their shipping costs are high, so it works out to be the same. The pads are about 40 bucks. The best thing to do is to combine other auto parts you need and order from rockauto. Else you can search on amazon.com. If you need the part numbers, let me know. I can look them up for you
Old 10-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarede46er View Post
I think the discs run at about 60 each. You can get them for cheaper at RockAuto.com, but their shipping costs are high, so it works out to be the same. The pads are about 40 bucks. The best thing to do is to combine other auto parts you need and order from rockauto. Else you can search on amazon.com. If you need the part numbers, let me know. I can look them up for you
That`s a very competitive price. Do you know if those rotors come with an anti-corrosive coating ? Rusty rotor hats are nasty-looking....while it *is* possible to spray them with VHT paint, it`s a lot easier to just mount some coated ones.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:43 PM

Mein Auto: '05 330i ZHP
So I ended up with these.

Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic Brake Pads

So now more questions. Where are the brake sensors? is it only 1 front and 1 back? do I really need them?

Story: the reason I started looking into the brakes is because a few days ago, I stopped at the stop like, and suddenly see the /!\ and (O) warning lights, once. I turned off the engine, then turn it back on, they went away. Plus my baby is @ 40k miles, figure it might be time. Am I wrong? preventive, or wait till the light actually light up then install?
Origin: BMW @ Munich, Germany

Last edited by NoGuts; 10-05-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
So I ended up with these.

Axxis Deluxe Advanced Ceramic Brake Pads

So now more questions. Where are the brake sensors? is it only 1 front and 1 back? do I really need them?

Story: the reason I started looking into the brakes is because a few days ago, I stopped at the stop like, and suddenly see the /!\ and (O) warning lights, once. I turned off the engine, then turn it back on, they went away. Plus my baby is @ 40k miles, figure it might be time. Am I wrong? preventive, or wait till the light actually light up then install?
Yes, there are 2 sensors (1 front, 1 rear), and they only need replacing if they have been tripped.

Look in the owner`s manual to see what all the various dashboard icons mean.

Old 10-05-2012, 02:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
I bought my sensor at auto zone for $19 and worked like a champ, warning light stayed off after I reseted it; just buy it is cheap anyways.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavoerod View Post
I bought my sensor at auto zone for $19 and worked like a champ, warning light stayed off after I reseted it; just buy it is cheap anyways.
Absolutely no need to go through that if it was never tripped.

Old 10-05-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
pads

http://www.autohausaz.com/

Bosch QuietCast pads. Zimmerman rooters (vented) free shipping over $50.00
super cheap. Brakes work well no noise. Didn't even need anti squeak goup. Did my front brakes. Now doing my rears but using autozone gold pads and rotors.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
The best thing about the gold pads from auto zone is that they have a lifetime warranty, which means that you can do your brakes free of charge.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
Porterfield R4S- OEM bite, higher thermal resistance, minimal dust, only downside is cost as much as OEM.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roverT Send a message via AIM to roverT Send a message via MSN to roverT Send a message via Yahoo to roverT
Mein Auto: '03 330i ZHP 6MT

I've loved these so far. I've used them for a year now and they stop great in the cold and they go further when pushed to the limit vs OEM. I can get my rotors glowing red hot (literally) when the sun is down and the car still stops without any feelings of fade. Braking does sound louder when the rotors are that hot though but OEM could never accept that high heat abuse. I guess it's not an issue if you don't track. One thing you will miss is that initial snot launching bite at the start. If you really need to stop like that, then hit the brakes hard and go into ABS immediately. Being a driver who likes a linear feel, OEM pads are really too grabby at the start so it makes it harder to modulate smoothness. It's like reverse turbo lag for braking! LOL.