Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-04-2012, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.5i M-Spt, VW GTI
So who has replaced their runflats?

I should be picking up my car in 2 weeks and my previous experience with runflats was not great. While my thoughts was to stick with the LS2s through the winter, I am now thinking about replacing them sooner. The TireRack survey (that they no longer post) shows them as one of the lowest ratest grand touring tires. They also look particularly weak for winter use, even for an all season, with scores in the low 3s to mid 4s. Given that, I am leaning towards replacing them with Continental ExtremeContact DWS which I have on my other car. So, have you replaced your runflats? If not, are you happy with the LS2 or just waiting until they need to be replaced?

PS - I know this topic has been debated to death on the forums in general, but not so much on the F25 - X3 page. Based on a search, it seems the question gets asked at times, but there are not many respondents who actually changed them out (other than winter tires).
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
To be honest I don't find anything wrong with the RFT on my m-sport. What is the concern, ride quality, grip, handling, winter traction?

Perhaps the dynamic dampers mitigate some of the concerns...
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
I hated the run flats on my 335 and did switch them out. But honestly, I have no problem with them on the X3. They seem to be quiet and with a less sporty suspension than the 335 they don't punish me on every bump. I thought they did quite well in the snow as well.

Retired:
2008 335xi
2006 330xi
2002 330xi
Old 10-05-2012, 06:19 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.5i M-Spt, VW GTI
I would like to replace the for a few reason. The car will be leased and it's not likely the LS-2 would make it the whole term. Given that, the thought is to change them out now, allowing me the use of a better performing tire and to put the runflats on when I return the car.

I also looked at the LS-2 ratings and they are disappointing, being one of the lowest scoring tires in their category. They also seem to be a poor mix for winter driving. While I don't need a dedicated snow tire, the scores and comments from a number of people indicate they are not a great choice for wintery conditions. It seems like the tires limit the vehicle's potential.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:44 AM
Jen4BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M Sport
Granted I have DHP but I don't have any complaints with the LS2's. Handling is excellent, ride is comfortable and their quiet. How they'll work out in a Minnesota winter remains to be seen. If they turn into ice skates like others claim this will be the big downside because I really don't want to deal with tire storage and installation costs twice a year. Can you say annoying!

Last edited by Jen4BMW; 10-05-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Jen, when the LS2's are done (or if you find them unsafe in the winter) you may want to consider the Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility tires. I had them on my previous Accord and (when new) worked very well in the snow. You might even want to install them now and sell the LS2 tires while they are new.

Below is the company sales pitch:

Quote:
The Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility is a durable SUV non-studded winter tire that can be used all-year-round. The asymmetrical inside-out tread pattern allows our engineers to design different areas of the tread to focus on the different driving conditions you will encounter throughout the year. So while seasons may change, your choice of all-weather tires remains the same: Nokian WR G2 SUV.
... just a thought.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Jen, when the LS2's are done (or if you find them unsafe in the winter) you may want to consider the Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility tires. I had them on my previous Accord and (when new) worked very well in the snow. You might even want to install them now and sell the LS2 tires while they are new.

Below is the company sales pitch:

... just a thought.
My wife and daughter had the Nokian tires on their vehicles and really liked them. If I remember correctly my wife's Nokian tires lasted for 60,000 miles on her TSX.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
Swapped and stored my stock (GY LS on 309 rims) for 20 inch Yokohama S.Drive/Breyton GTS with less than 2000k on the odo. Night and day Difference. Run Flat technology is getting better in general but still can't match the ride quality of conventional high performance tires.

Couldn't be happier.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Costco tells me that they can't sell me regular tires to replace my run flats if I don't have a spare tire and a jack in my trunk.

Last edited by edbiology; 10-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
Costco tells me that they can't sell me regular tires to replace my run flats if I don't have a spare tire and a jack in my trunk.
Sounds like good advice.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscamp View Post
Sounds like good advice.
But....why can't I just use the roadside assistance service of my AAA membership. I pay for that stuff every year.