Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Quest_908

Mein Auto: 01 530i and 04 aviator
visit to dealership

so i visited don hill bmw in kingsport tn just to ask a few questions since this 2001 530i is the first bmw ive owned and i have never had better service at any dealership ever. i was wondering though, i asked about upgrading my headlights buy buying factory xenon lights to replace my hajogens and the parts guy said that i should buy an aftermarket kit instead because it would be cheaper and work just as good. is this true and can anyone recommend a good aftermarket h7 HID upgrade that wont have me looking at error messages. thanks
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 12:12 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest_908 View Post
so i visited don hill bmw in kingsport tn just to ask a few questions since this 2001 530i is the first bmw ive owned and i have never had better service at any dealership ever. i was wondering though, i asked about upgrading my headlights buy buying factory xenon lights to replace my hajogens and the parts guy said that i should buy an aftermarket kit instead because it would be cheaper and work just as good. is this true and can anyone recommend a good aftermarket h7 HID upgrade that wont have me looking at error messages. thanks
most of us who have the halogens find that when we try to replace them it costs a thousand bucks for the set so what we do is we fix the ones we have which isn't all that hard nor is it expensive because you can replace just the broken pbt plastic headlight adjusters for anywhere from five dollars for both headlights which is four adjusters in toto to as much as about a hundred dollars for the aluminum adjusters or even over one hundred and fifty dollars for the aluminum adjusters what I did myself was take apart my headlights by baking them in the oven and I opened the headlight to replace my adjusters which is what everyone does unless you have the 2003 in which case you have to cut a hole in the top of the headlamp in order to access the adjusters all this is described on this forum in gory detail so you just need to look the main place to start would be in the bestlinks thread where you simply need to type /headlight F3 and you will see all the adjuster threads since almost everyone on this forum has had to replace their adjusters of course if you really want to just replace the headlights that same search will get you a bevy of threads discussing the depo and umnitza headlight offerings which will cost you less than half what the dealer will charge for oem but if your real problem is simply that the lights are not outputting light then you are better off with fixing the originals bear in mind that if the headlight covers are hazy you can also simply polish those covers the links for how to do that are also in the bestlinks thread as already mentioned as to the service you must be a younger kid because nobody really likes going to the dealer for service so if you love them then go to them but it will cost you a bundle i hope you have a lot of money if you will be going to the dealer i hope this helps you find the solution to your problem
Old 10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
Quest_908

no my adjusters work fine im talking about these kits you can buy that add a ballast and just convert your halogen light frame into xenon they convert the H7 halogen bulb holder so it accepts an HID bulb and you attach a ballast do you know any that are good quality i dont want to take my headlights apart
Old 10-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
I see what you did there, Bluebee and I know better than reading it. Hopefuly, he got the message.
Quest_908, I replied to your thread about headlights. I used regular ballast and have no error. My slim digital ballast triggered the error.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo

Last edited by tmvE39/E53/Z32; 10-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:56 AM
Quest_908

Not a younger kid I just like having things done right and in TN there is no such thing as a good shop for anything custom
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
Give us a call
Old 10-06-2012, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530iA Sport
Quote:
2001 530i - i asked about upgrading my headlights buy buying factory xenon lights to replace my hajogens and the parts guy said that i should buy an aftermarket kit instead because it would be cheaper and work just as good. is this true and can anyone recommend a good aftermarket h7 HID upgrade that wont have me looking at error messages. thanks
WTF this headlight thing will not die.

Here go read this thread perhaps it will clear things up, if not feel free to ask again.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=649931
Old 10-06-2012, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 530i E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
Give us a call

+1 umnitza.com
Old 10-06-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i 5spd Manual
As long as your have a projector housings for your lo-beams your are OK. do not put HID's in a reflector housing like so many D'bags do. You can only do that for the Hi beam if it's separate. I'm upgrading my wife's C300's to HID's, lo and Hi beam kit. $431 to the door. Philips German made kit. Resistors built into the harness, plug and play for your car. Real nice quality.

http://www.philipsxenon.com/

Garage queen: '07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, staggered 18" 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Llumar ATR Tint.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
used OEM xenon + 3m restore kit IMO, it can be done for $320-470 depending on the deal you find on lights. Screw paying for new Xenon lights, you can restore them to look nearly new.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
you could always do a fx-r retrofit, if not just get a HID kit from ddmtuning or umnitza
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 PM
Quest_908

I have self leveling lights and I've done my research I was just wanting opinions I'm sick of you guys saying do your research when I have just give an opinion and quit being so lazy to say research every time there's a question it's called a forum for a reason I see facts when I research. I want opinions and reviews if my questions annoy you then don't reply to them and let the people who truly want to help someone do so. Thanks
Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528ia Sport
i told you what your options are
FXR retrofit which upgrades your halogens h7 base to d2s and gives you much better light output or buy a h7 hid kit from ddm tuning or umnitza no error codes. better?
M5 F+R Bumpers, M5 Mirrors with OEM setup, M5 rear sway bar, Cluster Rings, 03 Business player with AUX input, HID fogs slim, OEM 01+ Hella headlights, Euro Lens, EAC Aluminum Adjusters, FX-R low beam retrofit, Umnitza Orion halos, Hella Euro Celis Retrofit Kit, Koni yellow shocks with H&R Sport Springs, 19" M6 Reps, Full LEDs.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:51 AM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Quote:
I have self leveling lights and I've done my research I was just wanting opinions I'm sick of you guys saying do your research when I have just give an opinion and quit being so lazy to say research every time there's a question it's called a forum for a reason I see facts when I research. I want opinions and reviews if my questions annoy you then don't reply to them and let the people who truly want to help someone do so. Thanks
Please feel free to call us