Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I doubt anyone here actually knows unless John Schaffer or another sales person wants to chime in. I imagine that the percentage of DHP/VSS cars is minuscule, like single digits... like, 1%.
I agree, <5% of all F30's have VSS.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
I doubt anyone here actually knows unless John Schaffer or another sales person wants to chime in. I imagine that the percentage of DHP/VSS cars is minuscule, like single digits... like, 1%.
That might explain why there are so few reports of the problem from cars so equipped. (Fraction of a tiny fraction.)

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 10-03-2012, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Understandable. And im skeptical of the "my car does not have this problem" Unless you own a car with DHP. I have driven a few on my dealers lot and i could replicate the issue on each one. Also was able to replicate it on an X3(same zf steering box). Maybe im being too picky and anal, or maybe it is a widespread issue.

Did you check out that thread on F30post?
I definitely don't have this issue on my baseline and trust me I've looked for it, as I would love to swap for a Sport model. And mine was a very early build I picked it up in Feb.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:19 AM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
Quote:
Totally agree with everything you have said, especially the bolded parts

To be honest i would have not given them the car to do anything. There is no fix. The fact that they are aware would have been where the service involvement should have ended. My scenario is very similar to yours. I took the car in once, the shop forman agreed with me, and acknowledged the issue. I had him open the puma case, which is what they will do with you, and 2 weeks later i was ordering my new car. BMW does not want you to lemon the car because it goes on the title and they cant get much for it when it goes to auction. Call BMWNA and tell them whats up, they will talk to your dealer and in about 2 weeks you can be ordering your new car(doesnt have to be another F30). They will give you back the money you have spent on the car minus a fee for mileage used.
I took your advice and called BMWNA and officially put my complaint in. I'll let them take my vehicle next Thursday to do whatever testing they wanted to do and to start the puma case. I did mention to the BMWNA Rep and if there isn't a fix, I'll end up starting the process of Lemon Lawing it. I also told them that I was a bit disappointed that they wouldn't test these new F30's before selling them to ensure people wouldn't get stuck with this issue. I guess they are just hoping that most people won't care but you'd think they'd know their customers are a bit pickier than most. At least I think so.

IF they contact me to turn this vehicle in, I really don't know what I'll do. Not sure if I'll move to a 5 series or just leave BMW altogether. I'm still a bit bothered and frustrated about this.

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i
Old 10-04-2012, 10:18 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
I know someone tried this, but can anyone actually get a video of this occurring? Perhaps with a passenger behind the driver for safety? I have had my car for over a month and I can't say for sure that I have this issue. I am thinking I do not. I think there is a lot of good descriptions here, but a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

I think it would really help to level set people, not to mention inform the community of what is a problem, and what isn't.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 10-04-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samualcc View Post
I know someone tried this, but can anyone actually get a video of this occurring? Perhaps with a passenger behind the driver for safety? I have had my car for over a month and I can't say for sure that I have this issue. I am thinking I do not. I think there is a lot of good descriptions here, but a picture (or video) is worth a thousand words.

I think it would really help to level set people, not to mention inform the community of what is a problem, and what isn't.
I will try but it's very hard to keep the camera steady when driving
Old 10-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
I will try but it's very hard to keep the camera steady when driving
All you probably need to do is get one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/JOBY-JB01249-0...rds=gorillapod

And strap your phone/camera to it. It could be secured in a number of places, like the driver headrest posts.

You make the video that demonstrates the issue and you upload it to Youtube and try to get enough of a buzz about it that it gets picked up on sites like F30post, Bimmerfest, etc, not to mention potentially getting attention from BMWCCA.

If the problem is as serious as has been described this is exactly the kind of negative press BMW does not want, which will motivate them to fix the issue, OR to release something about it being "normal" in which case people can decide for themselves if it is acceptable before making a purchase decision.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:

And strap your phone/camera to it. It could be secured in a number of places, like the driver headrest posts.

You make the video that demonstrates the issue and you upload it to Youtube and try to get enough of a buzz about it that it gets picked up on sites like F30post, Bimmerfest, etc, not to mention potentially getting attention from BMWCCA.

If the problem is as serious as has been described this is exactly the kind of negative press BMW does not want, which will motivate them to fix the issue, OR to release something about it being "normal" in which case people can decide for themselves if it is acceptable before making a purchase decision.
Makes sense.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:46 PM

Quote:

Im sure they are trying to find a fix, its obviously a serious issue and a lot more complicated than a software fix. It's a hardware issue. Bmw is helping me out but if someone else wants to do this and make a video that would be funny.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Im sure they are trying to find a fix, its obviously a serious issue and a lot more complicated than a software fix. It's a hardware issue. Bmw is helping me out but if someone else wants to do this and make a video that would be funny.
The problem is that not all users have reported the issue, but you've implied that it is present on all of the cars as you've not only experienced it on six F30 cars you've driven but an X3 with the same steering system as well.

If this is the case then BMW either needs to report that "this is how it is" or they will need to do some kind of massive recall....
Old 10-04-2012, 03:58 PM

Quote:
The problem is that not all users have reported the issue, but you've implied that it is present on all of the cars as you've not only experienced it on six F30 cars you've driven but an X3 with the same steering system as well.

If this is the case then BMW either needs to report that "this is how it is" or they will need to do some kind of massive recall....
why would they do that? Just because i can find the problem doesn't mean others can. Maybe it is how it's supposed to be(which would be bs) but i have yet to drive an F30 that doesn't have the issue. My shop forman also has the issue on his F30
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
why would they do that? Just because i can find the problem doesn't mean others can. Maybe it is how it's supposed to be(which would be bs) but i have yet to drive an F30 that doesn't have the issue. My shop forman also has the issue on his F30
If the problem is difficult enough to find that others "can't find it" then that would imply that the problem is only a problem if it rubs a particular person the wrong way.

I suspect that it is the way it is because that's the way it's supposed to be... but the problem identified in the previously cited TSB regarding out of round rims, etc, has exacerbated the issue in some cases to the point where it is very noticeable and objectionable.

In any event, good luck to those with the problem.... and I'm glad that I either don't have it, or don't care.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
You are just contradicting yourself.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
You are just contradicting yourself.
How so?

Also, to those that are having the issue, contact BMWNA and talk to them. they have been very helpful.

And to those thinking it's just me, go to the link i posted a few page back...20 page thread on f30post of owners having the same problem.

There is a difference between road feel and taking your hands off the wheel and watching the steering wheel shake(between 40-60). The wheel didnt shake in my e90's, it didnt shake in me E60's. Which leads me(and my shop forman) to believe it has to do with the electric steering.

Last edited by justinnum1; 10-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sedan
Is it just me or is the vibration better on sport mode compared to Eco mode?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:18 PM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
I am picking up my 328 Monday after 2 month wait. It will be tough turning it down if I find it has this problem. I have to believe bmw will make it right.

Last edited by Mykatie; 10-04-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykatie View Post
I am picking up my 328 Monday after 2 month wait. It will be tough turning it down if I find it has this problem. I have to believe bmw will make it right.
Take a test drive at delivery to find out if you have the problem before you complete the deal then you can decide what to do depending what you find out . Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
Here is a crappy to capture the video this morning. I couldn't get everything in frame and will have my wife take some better video from the passenger seat.

http://s1154.photobucket.com/albums/...B53B295AB3.mp4

It's probably hard to tell since the camera itself is shaky, but mine has always been more of a tactile vs. visual shimmy. If you blindfolded me and put me behind the wheel, I could tell you within 1mph how fast we were going between 40-60mph based on the level of pulse I feel in the steering wheel. Any mph below 40 and above 60, and the wheel is dead silent.

(And my F30 is nowhere near my first BMW, so I am very familiar with how the Bavarians drive)
'89 635 CSI - 4AT
'99 323is - 5MT
'97 328is - 5MT
'12 328i Sportline - 8AT Sport

Non-BMW Cars:
'95 Saab 900 SE - 5MT
'07 Infiniti G35 - 6MT
'08 VW GLI - 6MT

Last edited by diesel86; 10-05-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 AM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
Here is a crappy to capture the video this morning. I couldn't get everything in frame and will have my wife take some better video from the passenger seat.

It's probably hard to tell since the camera itself is shaky, but mine has always been more of a tactile vs. visual shimmy. If you blindfolded me and put me behind the wheel, I could tell you within 1mph how fast we were going between 40-60mph based on the level of pulse I feel in the steering wheel. Any mph below 40 and above 60, and the wheel is dead silent.

(And my F30 is nowhere near my first BMW, so I am very familiar with how the Bavarians drive)
Ugh... that would annoy me to no end. My car arrives in NYC in two weeks... I sure hope this doesn't affect my 335. I did order ZDH, so maybe with VSS I'll be okay?

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 10-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post

The vibration IS visible.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
RZ

Mein Auto: 2013 528 Alpine White/Oys
BMWNA called me today to follow-up with me on my call to them last week. She apologized that I'm having this issue and was told that BMW is taking the steering wheel shaking issue very seriously. She also addressed my concerns about it being a safety issue - she said that there is no danger involved in driving my vehicle. She did say that this issue is being reported primarily by owners in Florida - which I couldn't believe. I told her that from the blogs I've read about this issue, there are people all over the country complaining about the steering wheel vibration. She said that she'd be contacting me Friday, the day after I take my car back to my BMW dealer. They are going to do a few other tests and open a puma report. She asked that I be patient and that they would keep me updated on this issue. I did however tell her that I'm not sure how long I'm going to be willing to be patient before I start the paperwork on claiming it under the Florida Lemon Law. We'll see how this goes.

Is everyone on this Post from Florida????????

12/13/12 2013 528i Alpine White, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, Premium Hi-Fi Sound, Heated front Multi-Contour seats

Just Ordered 2/27/13: 2013 328 Conv, Liquid Blue Metallic, Oyster/Black Dakota Leather, Conv Pkg, Premium Pkg, Prem Sound Pkg, Navigation Sys
To Replace our leased 2010 128 Conv, Sports Pkg

Previous BMW: 2013 328 "Trade Assist"
Previous BMW: 2009 328 Convertible
Previous BMW: 2008 535i
Previous BMW: 2007 550i

Last edited by RDZumbaugh; 10-09-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDZumbaugh View Post
BMWNA called me today to follow-up with me on my call to them last week. She apologized that I'm having this issue and was told that BMW is taking the steering wheel shaking issue very seriously. She also addressed my concerns about it being a safety issue - she said that there is no danger involved in driving my vehicle. She did say that this issue is being reported primarily by owners in Florida - which I couldn't believe. I told her that from the blogs I've read about this issue, there are people all over the country complaining about the steering wheel vibration. She said that she'd be contacting me Friday, the day after I take my car back to my BMW dealer. They are going to do a few other tests and open a puma report. She asked that I be patient and that they would keep me updated on this issue. I did however tell her that I'm not sure how long I'm going to be willing to be patient before I start the paperwork on claiming it under the Florida Lemon Law. We'll see how this goes.

Is everyone on this Post from Florida????????
What concerns me is that if she is willing to fabricate a story that the issue is being reported "primarily by owners in Florida," she is just as likely to be blowing smoke when she says, "BMW is taking the steering wheel issue very seriously."

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Old 10-09-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline
I'm not from Florida...although it's a nice place to visit. AZ Bimmer here with steering wheel vibes. Haven't taken it back in since the latest TSB came out. I guess I should just so I can prove I've jumped through all the right hoops.
'89 635 CSI - 4AT
'99 323is - 5MT
'97 328is - 5MT
'12 328i Sportline - 8AT Sport

Non-BMW Cars:
'95 Saab 900 SE - 5MT
'07 Infiniti G35 - 6MT
'08 VW GLI - 6MT
Old 10-09-2012, 06:35 PM
RbDude

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i / F30
I'm in MD and I also have the steering wheel vibration issue. I traded in my trusty 2006 e90 330i for a 2012 328 last month. I took it to the dealer last week, they rotated the tires, balanced the wheels and adjusted the alignment. Still not fixed, I'm headed back to the dealer soon.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Took delivery of my 335i yesterday, took it out on the parkway this morning, no vibration issues. I was so happy I can't tell you guys.

Car tracks straight also, I could take my hands off the wheel for an appreciable amount of time. My car does have adaptive suspension and variable steering.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.