Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 10-04-2012, 03:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Sad about trading in old car

Hi all,
I thought I would start a thread about this as surely I'm not the only person. We are officially trading in our old 2000 323i tomorrow. I know its just the memories I'm associating with the car and the car is just an object but darn, it makes me sad. This is the car that I drove 12 hours round trip to pick up my best friend, my rescue dog. My now husband and I spent many nights driving the blue ridge parkway and talking. Heck he even proposed in this car.

I know we need to get rid of it as its getting up there in miles and has a lot of small things that need to be fixed and with the x1 now out it is the logical progression of life but those pesky emotions. sigh.
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 98 540 6sp, 87 Audi
Yep, I know the feeling. Went thru the same thing when we had to trade in our E30 325. We loved that red little thing, Dinan chipped, suspension, it was a blast. When our son was born, we felt we needed something bigger and safer, so we bought a brand new E34 525. I felt so bad to let go of my little red rocket, and almost got emotional a few days later when I saw it on the dealer's used car lot. So many memories, so many crazy drives, it's all now on video and in pictures. For months after the trade, every time I saw a red 325 on the streets, I looked to see if it was mine. Years later, my son grew up and that 525 is now his daily driver, while I am with my E39 540 and his mom in a 335 covertible. But we can't forget the little red 325.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i
I hear ya... But remember we are all fortunate to be turning the page to make new memories that will be just as amazing!!
Hopefully that helps a little...
Old 10-05-2012, 12:14 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
You could always restore the 323i and keep it. Won't be cheap though. Probably more expensive than your new X1.

a/
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:54 AM
NADAVAN

Mein Auto: 2002 525it
I sold my 04 Mazdaspeed Miata a couple months ago. The stork will be visiting soon so I need something with 4 doors and a backseat. I'm looking for an E39 touring now. I walked around in a funk for a few days after sending my little red Miata home with her new caretaker.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Aww thanks guys. Makes me feel a wee bit less crazy. Geist (car's name) is all cleaned up and ready to leave us so its its much harder to forget the problems he has. I feel like I'm morning the loss of a friend or something silly.

I've been trying to think of a steller German name for the new x1 but nothing seems to come close to our old car's name. sheesh. If its this hard to name a car I can't image the difficulty when naming a child

And vavet, congrats on the new arrival! I hope everyone comes out of it healthy and happy!