Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: N/A
iDrive availability

Help me out, please: the prevailing opinion appears to be that iDrive is not standard on the X1. Motor Trend thinks it is. There is at least one official-looking spec sheet on a dealer's site that explicitly says it is. But if iDrive is not, in fact, standard, does that mean the only way to get the display and controller is as a part of the Technology Package? If that's the case, I would need to spend an additional $2,500 to get iDrive plus a nav system I don't even particularly want. It also significantly narrows the price gap between the X1 and the 3 series, which comes with iDrive standard. This matters to me because I can't imagine having an audio system with hard drive and streaming capability that lacks a display.

Is there an aftermarket solution? I see that you can stick some kind of DVD player in the dash, but I'm doubtful it would be recognized by the audio system. Anyone know?

Also, does BMW ever make changes mid-year, meaning is it possible they would add iDrive as standard during the 2013 production cycle?
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Custom User

Mein Auto: X1
No standard iDrive currently. Yes, this could change in the future. In the meantime, you get a "storage compartment" where the iDrive would be.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
it is definitely NOT standard. initially the spec sheet on BMWUSA site said it was, then it was removed in the August revision. I don't know if there is a stand-alone option for iDrive. the dealer should be able to call BMW themselves to find out this info. not all the stand alone options are available on the BMW configurator. for instance power seats are available as a stand alone option for $1000 but not listed on the site, so indeed iDrive may be available independent of Nav. ask your dealer (after informing them their website is wrong).
Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Genname View Post
Help me out, please: the prevailing opinion appears to be that iDrive is not standard on the X1. Motor Trend thinks it is. There is at least one official-looking spec sheet on a dealer's site that explicitly says it is. But if iDrive is not, in fact, standard, does that mean the only way to get the display and controller is as a part of the Technology Package? If that's the case, I would need to spend an additional $2,500 to get iDrive plus a nav system I don't even particularly want. It also significantly narrows the price gap between the X1 and the 3 series, which comes with iDrive standard. This matters to me because I can't imagine having an audio system with hard drive and streaming capability that lacks a display.

Is there an aftermarket solution? I see that you can stick some kind of DVD player in the dash, but I'm doubtful it would be recognized by the audio system. Anyone know?

Also, does BMW ever make changes mid-year, meaning is it possible they would add iDrive as standard during the 2013 production cycle?
If you are planning to do European delivery and would have gotten power seats and don't really care about the utility of the X1, the 328i in a lease is a compelling choice since it has a higher residual value then the x1 28i and European deliverys savings are based upon the invoice price of the car without any options. So, the higher price of the 328i and more standard equipment, actual leads to more savings under ED.

I would think there is about 0% chance they add IDrive as standard for the 2013 X1 production run. If they choose to add it, at the very earliest it would be the 2014 model.

Unless the backup camera requirement goes into law before BMW does another update to the X1, I would expect them to hold off on adding iDrive to the X1 until a new model comes out in about 2015.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 PM

I am planning to do ED, in fact, and have considered the forthcoming 3 series sports wagon as an alternative to the X1. If I have to shell out for the Nav package, or even just an iDrive upgrade (thanks for the tip to ask), the wagon starts to look even better. The problem is, I own an SUV now and am used to banging through potholes on forest service roads; I don't think the wagon could handle that. For some reason, I dislike the X3, maybe because I test drove an earlier model and found it clunky.

I'm just griping, really, because iDrive belongs there standard and, in all other respects, the X1 is perfect for my needs. I've already decided that I would upgrade the audio system myself, so maybe I'll find a way to install a display the head unit recognizes.
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 528i
Try the X3. The price boost from the X1, apples to apples, is surprisingly small. The current model is not clunky. The ground clearance will suit your needs better than either of the other two models.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:31 PM

Imagine that: I could become the first X3 owner ever to drive his vehicle off pavement and get it dirty. You should see the SUV I drive now: it has scratches along both sides from tree branches and a flattened exhaust system. BMW would probably gladly pay me never to purchase one of their models. That said, I am going to test drive an X3 next week, but if it's weighted more toward luxury than performance and utility, I won't buy one. For me, the X1 seems just right, and I'd be content to keep it off Utah slickrock so I don't trash it. I just want a display for my music