Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 10-04-2012, 01:38 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
Off topic question here, but after your Indy oil change, did your CBS system reflect the brand new oil hence increase the CBS by a lot? If so then what's the point of the CBS, an automatic way of what I do for my dd after an oil change (reset trip A to count upto 3k for my next oil change)?
Here's my answer -I don't know the specific technical answer to this question, but over the years I have determined that the CBS is not set up to reset itself "backwards". At least not by very much. Once it "counts down" it maintains that count. As I mentioned in my previous post, the oil sensor analyzes the quality of the oil, but the computer uses other data to determine the need for an oil change.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

Since they are QUITE FAR AWAY from me,
How do you live in LA and have a long drive to a dealer? You pass a BMW dealer about every 5 miles around here!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
Interesting but likely either a mistake by the dealer, meaning BMW didn't end up paying for it or they fudged the numbers and got money for it when they shouldn't. Could also be that they changed the oil and did not reset the indicator, leading to the indicator still being set by 15k miles.

Whatever the reason, it is pretty clear how it should work but apparently not clear enough to get a uniform answer from dealers across the nation. Which is really baffling to be honest.
Or maybe they would just rather take care of a good customer. I told them before hand that I already had an oil change and of course their records show that. They said no problem and did it anyway all the while giving me a brand new 535i as a loaner. They are IMO a first class dealer and very good to their customers.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:01 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haskindm View Post
Let me get this straight. You are upset with the dealer/BMW because they want to give you an oil change at no charge? Surely you understand that changing the oil once per year is the absolute minimum. Short trip driving is the absolute most severe condition to which you can subject your car. Moisture accumulates in the oil that does not get evaporated by the heat of a nice long drive. If you took your car on a long trip now you might even see your oil level drop fairly quickly as a good percentage of your oil is now water. I understand that you are leasing the car, but have a care for the poor sod that buys your car when you are done with it, especially if it costs you nothing!
My SBI says that it's not time...plus L.A. is a desert...very low humidity. I took a long trip a few months ago (16+ hrs round trip) and at my oil level hasn't budged from "full." I believe that the SBI would take into account "short trips," otherwise it is worthless.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA

Last edited by pointandgo; 10-04-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasa-d View Post
How do you live in LA and have a long drive to a dealer? You pass a BMW dealer about every 5 miles around here!
True, but I didn't lease it from one of the closer dealers. As you know the definition of "far away" in L.A. is more than a 20 min. drive.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeoman View Post
The BMW oil change interval is 15K miles OR 1 year, whichever comes first. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.
Then what's the purpose of the SBI?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Very interesting observations. Regardless of the true reason behind them urging you to get an oil change, why don't you just get it done? I would leap at the offer!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Op true that different dealer have different policies. Some have great SAs, others just could give a rats behind. It matters on what your individual relationship with the SA is.

I just wanted ask you why are you concerned with your oil level. You should be happy your oil level is full, that means you have a great engine under your hood. A lot of owners of BMW have reported some oil burn issues, nothing too serious but still something.

I honestly dont think that BMW dealers have any incentives to do the work persay. There are profits in getting reimbursed oil changes, however I think they could care less if the car is being neglected for maintenance, actually cheaper to blame future engine trouble on that negligence.

Lastly, I think the CBS System is cracking me up. Its more of a planner rather than a real time oil analysis system. I feel the CBS is still primitive, not blaming BMW, but rather the complexity of monitoring oil in any economical and scientifically sound method. I think we Are far from having mini spectrometers in our cars so yes, until then the planner aka CBS is going to be the best the market has to offer.

Edit: if The results of Andrew B can reproduced on other vehicles who do DIY oil changes than yes, I'm guessing this oil sensor seems to be far more advanced then I thought it was. I wonder exactly what their testing in the oil in real time to determine oil life. Are they going off experimental data sets for viscosity, oil temp range and different metal concentrations and comparing that against real time data points found in each individual car?

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 10-04-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:18 PM
flâneur en cabriolet

Mein Auto: 2007 E93 N54
Quote:
Off topic question here, but after your Indy oil change, did your CBS system reflect the brand new oil hence increase the CBS by a lot? If so then what's the point of the CBS, an automatic way of what I do for my dd after an oil change (reset trip A to count upto 3k for my next oil change)?
I recently changed the oil in my 335i, and forgot to reset the CBS. Looked at it 2 days later (I always watch it after a change), and it reset itself - now indicating 15,000 miles until a change is needed.....
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
Very interesting observations. Regardless of the true reason behind them urging you to get an oil change, why don't you just get it done? I would leap at the offer!
I was planning on it when the CBS indicated to do so. In the meantime I've been busy and have better things to do rather than waste a whole day getting the oil changed prior to the CBS indicated requirement. As my Owner's Manual says:

"Sensors and special algorithms take the different driving conditions of your BMW into account. CBS uses this to determine the current and future service requirements." Engine oil is specifically indicated under the CBS "system."

Nevertheless, I gave in and have an appointment for next Wednesday with an agreement that my car will get in-and-out quickly. I expect free coffee and jelly donuts or else.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Op true that different dealer have different policies. Some have great SAs, others just could give a rats behind. It matters on what your individual relationship with the SA is.

I just wanted ask you why are you concerned with your oil level. You should be happy your oil level is full, that means you have a great engine under your hood. A lot of owners of BMW have reported some oil burn issues, nothing too serious but still something.

I honestly dont think that BMW dealers have any incentives to do the work persay. There are profits in getting reimbursed oil changes, however I think they could care less if the car is being neglected for maintenance, actually cheaper to blame future engine trouble on that negligence.

Lastly, I think the CBS System is cracking me up. Its more of a planner rather than a real time oil analysis system. I feel the CBS is still primitive, not blaming BMW, but rather the complexity of monitoring oil in any economical and scientifically sound method. I think we Are far from having mini spectrometers in our cars so yes, until then the planner aka CBS is going to be the best the market has to offer.

Edit: if The results of Andrew B can reproduced on other vehicles who do DIY oil changes than yes, I'm guessing this oil sensor seems to be far more advanced then I thought it was. I wonder exactly what their testing in the oil in real time to determine oil life. Are they going off experimental data sets for viscosity, oil temp range and different metal concentrations and comparing that against real time data points found in each individual car?
I'm not concerned with my oil level. I merely indicated that it remained at the "full" level.
BMW says that it uses "special algorithms" in its CBS system. I'm sure they don't want their engines to be damaged under "rental" as with mine. I'm trusting their system.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:06 AM
Original Owners Club

Mein Auto: '10 E93;'66 MGB;'73 240Z
Mine have all been "annual" oil changes with low miles:

12/16/09 - In service date
12/22/10 - Oil change - mileage = 5173
12/22/11 - Oil change - mileage = 8217 (3074 since last change)

Upcoming
12/XX/12 - Oil change - est mileage = 11,000 (2800 since last change)

It does appear that the dealer reset the indicator after each change, as I currently show 13000 until next service.

Other Cars:
1973 Datsun 240Z
1966 MGB Roadster

Last edited by DougN; 10-05-2012 at 06:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:51 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
does the CBS show remaining miles or miles at the odo?

Last edited by spicytofu; 10-05-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytofu View Post
does the CBS show remaining miles or miles at the odo?
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the CBS indications shown on the center display indicate miles-to-go until the indicated service is required.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 10-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Fungineer

Mein Auto: 2011 E92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
If I'm understanding your question correctly, the CBS indications shown on the center display indicate miles-to-go until the indicated service is required.
I see, it doesnt seem to change. Ive been at 11k for a while and I have driven about 6k so far. I guess it is right since it will be about 16k when I get my first change.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
When questioned, my SA had to admit the "scope" was a guy scrolling through iDrive.

Wow. What excellent service.

Attachment 344322
Interesting. I don't have iDrive.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
I was planning on it when the CBS indicated to do so. In the meantime I've been busy and have better things to do rather than waste a whole day getting the oil changed prior to the CBS indicated requirement. As my Owner's Manual says:

"Sensors and special algorithms take the different driving conditions of your BMW into account. CBS uses this to determine the current and future service requirements." Engine oil is specifically indicated under the CBS "system."

Nevertheless, I gave in and have an appointment for next Wednesday with an agreement that my car will get in-and-out quickly. I expect free coffee and jelly donuts or else.
Don't forget the free WI-FI, soft drinks, and morning paper!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:44 PM

OK, It's DONE...today! 6,672 miles. CBS actually showed 7,000 miles until next service (!)...and Zero oil consumption. Is it useless with its "mathematical formulas" that monitor driving conditions? What the heck...I gorged myself on free donuts.

Brake fluid flush and microfilter also changed (although not authorized by BMW NA according to the ticket?).

I asked the SA why my CA didn't work...he said that I didn't have it!

Checked out the new 328i and decided what I wanted for my next car. It's quite larger. My sales adviser wasn't there to give me a test drive.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 10-10-2012, 07:02 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Checked out the new 328i and decided what I wanted for my next car. It's quite larger. My sales adviser wasn't there to give me a test drive.
So your are going to ditch the E9X flock for a what? 5 Series? No, No - a 6 Series four door coupe.. That is so oxymoronic to me...

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 10-10-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
So your are going to ditch the E9X flock for a what? 5 Series? No, No - a 6 Series four door coupe.. That is so oxymoronic to me...
No, no! A mix up of words. I would rather get a job in a funeral parlor than go to the 5-series threads (it would be more exciting).

I'm 3-series ALL THE WAY. Was just noting the the new Gen looks a little larger.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)