Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-04-2012, 04:50 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911
Luxury with m adaptive suspension vs. sport with m adaptive

I am in the process of configuring an F30 328i that I will share with my wife. Today I test drove a Luxury Line with standard suspension and a Sport Line equipped with M adaptive suspension. I drove each for about an hour and a half in a mix of urban traffic and rural roads that allowed spirited driving. Even in comfort mode I found that the Sport Line had a nice taut feel to the ride. It felt athletic, an analogy would be a tennis player awaiting a return of serve. It felt up on its toes yet was still very comfortable handing bumps, railroad tracks, expansion joints with ease. Not at all jarring and with little rebound. My chief concern with the Sport Line is the seats. I have a love/hate thing with them. I love the sung fit that increases the sense of oneness with the vehicle...the hate part is that the seats don't love me. After an hour and half of driving I exited with some soreness around the left scapular area due to the bolster (curiously no problem on the right). This is in spite of the fact that I deflated the side bolsters.
I enjoyed the Luxury Line but it did not light my fire the way the Sport did. The main drawback is that with the standard suspension it lacked the taut feel I so enjoyed in the Sport. It just did not feel as involving as the Sport. I found the seats, although not as supportive, were comfortable...no pain involved. As far as looks I prefer the combinations available in the Luxury, particularly imperial blue with saddle interior and anthracite trim. Beautiful.
Here's the question. If I opt for the Luxury and add M adaptive suspension will it have the tight feel I preferred in the Sport? I assume that M adaptive whether in the Sport or the Luxury is the identical suspension. It seems reasonable to assume then that it will have the same feel to the ride. What I am looking for is a Luxury that is in effect a Sport with standard seats and a color combo I prefer. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Marc.
Advertisement
Old 10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
I am not 100% sure on this but yes the suspension is the same, and no matter what line the car will be lower. Ask you CA, he/she needs to know the answer to this question.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Drift View Post
. I found the seats, although not as supportive, were comfortable...no pain involved. As far as looks I prefer the combinations available in the Luxury, particularly imperial blue with saddle interior and anthracite trim. Beautiful.
Here's the question. If I opt for the Luxury and add M adaptive suspension will it have the tight feel I preferred in the Sport? I assume that M adaptive whether in the Sport or the Luxury is the identical suspension. It seems reasonable to assume then that it will have the same feel to the ride. What I am looking for is a Luxury that is in effect a Sport with standard seats and a color combo I prefer. Any thoughts would be most appreciated. Marc.
The M Adaptive would be the same in both the Luxury and the Sport. The difference would be if you test drove a Sport with just the standard sport suspension which is firmer than the sport setting on the M Adaptive.

So you can go Luxury (nice interior choice BTW) and M Suspension and get the best of both worlds.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The M Adaptive would be the same in both the Luxury and the Sport. The difference would be if you test drove a Sport with just the standard sport suspension which is firmer than the sport setting on the M Adaptive.

So you can go Luxury (nice interior choice BTW) and M Suspension and get the best of both worlds.

BJ
This.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-04-2012, 06:45 PM

windsor 027 and boltja M3s thanks very much for your reply. BJ like your choice of mineral gray and saddle. That is a combo we considered as well. Sharp.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:51 PM

Mein Auto: '98 E36 Coupe
Quote:
The difference would be if you test drove a Sport with just the standard sport suspension which is firmer than the sport setting on the M Adaptive.
Actually, I read a post near when the F30 came out from a CA who drove cars with standard sport suspension and M adaptive back to back, including on a track, and he said the standard sport suspension was between the comfort and sport settings of M adaptive in its level of firmness, perhaps tending more toward the sport setting.

To the OP, I agree with what the others said -- M adaptive seems to be the same suspension on all the lines (provided we're talking about RWD versions). M adaptive on xDrive has the higher ride height, and therefore at least somewhat different suspension tuning.

And yeah, that color combo will look amazing I'm sure.

Last edited by E36toF30; 10-04-2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
windsor 027 and boltja M3s thanks very much for your reply. BJ like your choice of mineral gray and saddle. That is a combo we considered as well. Sharp.
Thanks. You can't go wrong with the F30, it's a great car and extremely configurable.

I looked at Imperial Blue too, but eventually settled back into Mineral Grey because I've always owned a grey BMW and Mineral was significantly different enough from Space Grey to really make it feel fresh to me. Like you, I had to have Saddle/Anthracite, therefore I was pegged into a Luxury even though I would have preferred a Sport or M-Sport at times.

I regret not getting the Adaptive M Suspension for the $1000, definitely put that on your configuration.

Good luck, and keep in touch through your ordering/delivery process. You'll need us to get you through the long months, will be a nice Christmas for you though.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-04-2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:05 PM

BJ and E36toF30 thanks for your comments. Hoping to meet with my CA on Saturday to get the ball rolling on the order. Hope the wait is not too long. BJ you're right it will be a nice Christmas present. Marc
Old 10-05-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Actually, I read a post near when the F30 came out from a CA who drove cars with standard sport suspension and M adaptive back to back, including on a track, and he said the standard sport suspension was between the comfort and sport settings of M adaptive in its level of firmness, perhaps tending more toward the sport setting.

To the OP, I agree with what the others said -- M adaptive seems to be the same suspension on all the lines (provided we're talking about RWD versions). M adaptive on xDrive has the higher ride height, and therefore at least somewhat different suspension tuning.

And yeah, that color combo will look amazing I'm sure.
I believe you are correct, the M sport setting is a little firmer than the standard sport setting. I think this is why I loved the 335i I tested with the M adaptive suspension it felt sharper than the 328i sport line (granted i never drove a M suspension equipped 328i). the 335i luxury sport setting wasn't even close to the same sharpness. this is what I drove to the BMW USA event.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:

Unless BMW is now laughing at its customers, it's not quite the same thing.

Normally, a "sport suspension" for companies like BMW and Audi means a drop in height, and stiffer SPRINGS and stronger dampers. I confirmed by searching on the bmwusa site that the adaptive M suspension is merely variable rate dampers and has no effect on the springs. But I couldn't find any info on the sport suspension. If they do have stiffer springs, as they should, then the suspension won't feel the same. Perhaps the standard suspension with M dampers is a good enough compromise, but if the sport suspension has actually stiffer springs, it will still feel different.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post

Normally, a "sport suspension" for companies like BMW and Audi means a drop in height, and stiffer SPRINGS and stronger dampers. I confirmed by searching on the bmwusa site that the adaptive M suspension is merely variable rate dampers and has no effect on the springs. But I couldn't find any info on the sport suspension. If they do have stiffer springs, as they should, then the suspension won't feel the same. Perhaps the standard suspension with M dampers is a good enough compromise, but if the sport suspension has actually stiffer springs, it will still feel different.
I don't know about the stiffness of the springs, but both the sport suspension and the M Adaptive suspension have a 10mm lower ride height than the standard suspension.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:

That makes sense. I thought, however, that the "Adaptive M Suspension" replaces the "Luxury Suspension" or the "Sport Suspension" in whatever car it's in. That it's not an add-on, but rather the entire enchilada.

BJ

Old 10-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
That makes sense. I thought, however, that the "Adaptive M Suspension" replaces the "Luxury Suspension" or the "Sport Suspension" in whatever car it's in. That it's not an add-on, but rather the entire enchilada.

BJ
It does.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
The online configurator shows "adaptive M suspension" as an option for the Sport Line. It can always be a mistake, but the impression I have is that it is still an add-on, but an add-on to a suspension that has most likely stiffer springs than the luxury line.

In any case, there is so much that can be done with actively adaptive dampers, both to enhance handling and performance in ways that is not possible with a completely passive setup. For example, think about how the left springs/dampers get loaded up when you make a very abrupt right turn. Both springs and dampers play a role in how much transient body lean you get. Adaptive dampers can increasing damping just at that moment and then dial back once you settle into the curve. I wish BMW elaborated more on what they do with this setup, but they seem to have the attitude of "don't worry, what we do is good for you, but you don't need to understand it."

On a lease car, I don't see any down side to this option. It's almost a no-brainer. On a long term buyer's car, you would have to find out what your replacement options are. Will there be third party alternatives? Will BMW offer them at reasonable price or will they want say $4000 instead of the typical $500-800 for a typical set of four dampers?
Old 10-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
The online configurator shows "adaptive M suspension" as an option for the Sport Line. It can always be a mistake, but the impression I have is that it is still an add-on, but an add-on to a suspension that has most likely stiffer springs than the luxury line.

In any case, there is so much that can be done with actively adaptive dampers, both to enhance handling and performance in ways that is not possible with a completely passive setup. For example, think about how the left springs/dampers get loaded up when you make a very abrupt right turn. Both springs and dampers play a role in how much transient body lean you get. Adaptive dampers can increasing damping just at that moment and then dial back once you settle into the curve. I wish BMW elaborated more on what they do with this setup, but they seem to have the attitude of "don't worry, what we do is good for you, but you don't need to understand it."

On a lease car, I don't see any down side to this option. It's almost a no-brainer. On a long term buyer's car, you would have to find out what your replacement options are. Will there be third party alternatives? Will BMW offer them at reasonable price or will they want say $4000 instead of the typical $500-800 for a typical set of four dampers?
The Adaptive M suspension replaces the sport suspension.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:08 PM

My reading also indicates that the M adaptive suspension replaces the sports suspension if ordered in the Sport Line. If you configure a Sport Line at the bmw site and check M adaptive suspension it will prompt you that the choice will delete the sport suspension. I am hoping that adding M adaptive to the Luxury will give me the same ride I enjoyed in the M adaptive equipped Sport Line I test drove. I can't see why it wouldn't given that it is the same suspension. Marc
Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
My reading also indicates that the M adaptive suspension replaces the sports suspension if ordered in the Sport Line. If you configure a Sport Line at the bmw site and check M adaptive suspension it will prompt you that the choice will delete the sport suspension. I am hoping that adding M adaptive to the Luxury will give me the same ride I enjoyed in the M adaptive equipped Sport Line I test drove. I can't see why it wouldn't given that it is the same suspension. Marc
It should. the only time I know the ride height is not lowered is on the x models.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
My reading also indicates that the M adaptive suspension replaces the sports suspension if ordered in the Sport Line. If you configure a Sport Line at the bmw site and check M adaptive suspension it will prompt you that the choice will delete the sport suspension.
That in itself doesn't necessarily mean much.

Quote:
I am hoping that adding M adaptive to the Luxury will give me the same ride I enjoyed in the M adaptive equipped Sport Line I test drove. I can't see why it wouldn't given that it is the same suspension. Marc
But if it is indeed the same suspension, ie. dampers AND springs, then BMWs lines concept makes even less sense to me. You can't get a sport suspension on the Luxury line, but you can get an adaptive M suspension? And if you get an adaptive M suspension on the Sport Line, you end up having the same suspension in a Luxury adaptive M? Then your differences are seats and cosmetics? This is getting so convoluted that being able to pick all these options individually would actually be less complicated. Of course, if BMW provided a little more info on their website, we wouldn't have to second guess.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
The Adaptive M suspension replaces the sport suspension.
this

Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:

But if it is indeed the same suspension, ie. dampers AND springs, then BMWs lines concept makes even less sense to me. You can't get a sport suspension on the Luxury line, but you can get an adaptive M suspension? And if you get an adaptive M suspension on the Sport Line, you end up having the same suspension in a Luxury adaptive M? Then your differences are seats and cosmetics? This is getting so convoluted that being able to pick all these options individually would actually be less complicated. Of course, if BMW provided a little more info on their website, we wouldn't have to second guess.
Actually, the Adaptive M suspension makes perfect sense and is most useful on the Luxury and Sport models.

We've got wives. So it gives us the opportunity to buy a softer Luxury and stiffen it up on-demand or the firm Sport and soften it up on-demand.

Think of it as the M-ILF Suspension.

BJ

Old 10-07-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Actually, the Adaptive M suspension makes perfect sense and is most useful on the Luxury and Sport models.

We've got wives. So it gives us the opportunity to buy a softer Luxury and stiffen it up on-demand or the firm Sport and soften it up on-demand.
I completely agree. But my point was simply that if the Adaptive M is the same exact suspension on both sport and luxury lines, it kind of dilutes the distinction between lines, at least in a functional aspect. But I like the fact that this basically would allow you to chose the nicer exterior of the Luxury line and still get essentially a sporty suspension.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:01 AM

Quote:
I completely agree. But my point was simply that if the Adaptive M is the same exact suspension on both sport and luxury lines, it kind of dilutes the distinction between lines, at least in a functional aspect. But I like the fact that this basically would allow you to chose the nicer exterior of the Luxury line and still get essentially a sporty suspension.
Well your comment about the nicer exterior is objective. But I agree if you think about it, the only reason why anyone would get a Sportline is the sport seats (and naturally some visual differences) since you can put adaptive suspension on all lines, including the no line 335i. For my money is the one option that can enhance your F30 (other than the lighting package for you 328i owners). The reason I went with a sportline to be honest was the sport seats. The enhanced speed factor (read rev limiter is at 155 in the Sportline) is another reason someone may go this route. Personally i will not be taking the car anywhere near those speeds...

Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:

Think of it as the M-ILF Suspension.

BJ
Old 10-08-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, and I think that's its purpose. Usually something "M" branded means it's a sport-only option, but I think this time BMW made this available to do the opposite in certain situations. The Adaptive M Suspension is the great equalizer, in many ways situationally pushing the 'undo' button on either the Luxury or the Sport models.

I regret not getting it on my Luxury, I was just uninformed at the time I placed my order. Now I'm researching sway bars and Koni FSD's to give me a little stiffness back without going back to my E90 M-Sport feel which was brutally bad.

BJ

Old 10-08-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Well your comment about the nicer exterior is objective. But I agree if you think about it, the only reason why anyone would get a Sportline is the sport seats (and naturally some visual differences) since you can put adaptive suspension on all lines, including the no line 335i. For my money is the one option that can enhance your F30 (other than the lighting package for you 328i owners). The reason I went with a sportline to be honest was the sport seats. The enhanced speed factor (read rev limiter is at 155 in the Sportline) is another reason someone may go this route. Personally i will not be taking the car anywhere near those speeds..
For me, I had to have the Saddle interior which meant I had no choice but the Luxury. I wanted the Sport seats desperately (still do) but BMW just won't let me have them. I like the aluminum trim around the windows, blingy, but would have given it up for Sport seats, just couldn't do without Saddle.

I simply didn't know about the benefits of the Adaptive M Suspension back when I placed my order in June, perhaps because it wasn't available on the Luxury in 2012 so no one discussed it.

I'm going to need some performance enthusiast help on how to reduce body roll on my L328i as understanding that stuff is not in my wheelhouse. Coilovers, springs, shocks, sway bars, that's Greek to me. In fact, I think I'm going to start a thread on that.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-08-2012 at 06:30 AM.