Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535ix
Auto OFF feature - dealer disabled!!

Ok, great news and I wanted to share it! I am fortunate to have a great service manager at my local dealer. I told him how much I hated the auto off feature and asked that he turn it off. He didn't know that they (dealer) can do it, but I explained to him that based on my knowledge learned here (thanks bimmerfest) that he can do it! He looked it up and found the service bulletin information and was able to recode my car. He said that he saw that there was a note that they are now doing this for all M5s that are coming into the country. He said my car was the 1st that they've done and he's pretty sure that they'll be doing a lot more.

On a side note, I was out with my wife tonight and it was a beautiful night so we had out windows down and were stopped at a light. A nice 2012 5 series pulled up next to me in the next lane over and his engine died. When it started back up it was so noticeable that my wife asked if the guy's car just stalled. Poor guy, I wanted to follow him and enlighten him on my experience. who knows, maybe he'll read this thread.

to all of you who hate this feature, you are not alone... there is hope!! seek it out, make it happen... get rid of that stupid feature forever!!!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 07:39 PM
BimmerLover

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi
I am THAT guy...lol JK

Current: 2012 528xi. Delivery date 03/13/2012.
Dark Graphite Metallic / Oyster-Black interior. Cold Weather / Premium / Technology pkg. BMW Apps. Rear fold down seats.

Prior: 2005 530i. Cold weather/Premium Pkg
Old 10-05-2012, 02:31 AM

Mein Auto: F430 Spider
My 2013 550xi didn't even come with the auto on/off feature.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by John NY View Post
My 2013 550xi didn't even come with the auto on/off feature.
It has not been incorporated on the 550s yet, but likely will be when the updated engine comes out. I think the new 750 has it now.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
chill535ix, Most of us here are well aware of the auto start stop program to the last state TSB. Personally, I still have not reprogram it yet, I sort of like the ASS system when it shuts off the car at a light. I sit there in total silence like a hybrid and I am not spewing out polution out of my tail pipes. When I drive in bumper to bumper traffic, I just turn it off, one push of a button doesnt bother me at all. If I need quick accelaration, I just pop it in DS mode and the ASS shuts off. I thought about getting my dealer to reprograming the ASS, but for now, I will leave it the way it is.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
+1
I use the system on occasion, when traffic is light but traffic lights seem long. In heavy traffic I turn it off but then turn it back on when needed. I wouldn't bother with re-coding either. I like using it with AUTO Hold since I just have to touch the gas and it re-starts. On some occasions I turn the steering wheel to start it before the light changes. Once in a while, while sitting at a very long traffic light, the car will turn itself back on without any prompting from me.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
I'd be very interested in some type of analysis on the actual gas savings vs additional cost incurred through engine wear.

Personally, I can't stand the feature.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
I'd be very interested in some type of analysis on the actual gas savings vs additional cost incurred through engine wear.

Personally, I can't stand the feature.
What additional cost incurred through engine wear? Or let me phrase it another way, what engine wear will the auto start stop cause?
Old 10-05-2012, 10:16 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
I'll have mine coded off eventually. I really think it will be incredibly annoying once these cars are 5+ years old and the engine runs much rougher.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 10-05-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
I'll have mine coded off eventually. I really think it will be incredibly annoying once these cars are 5+ years old and the engine runs much rougher.
Exactly. Could you imagine 10 years down the line being in one of these on the 405 in heavy traffic, you're in the center lane of a 6 lane freeway and your starter fails . Trust me, this feature is nonsensical and will certainly cause issues down the line. No way would I trust this on an older car.

As for me, I'm happy to spit my emissions right out the tail pipes, where it's meant to come out. If I wanted a prius, I would have bought one.

Like another poster said, do I really want to wonder if my car will start up 47 times today?!
Old 10-05-2012, 04:04 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Well, tbh these cars were designed for the "3-year lease turn and burn" market who won't care about potential long term issues anyway. A lot of other cars have this same feature so it as a standard feature is going to be popping up everywhere soon, I imagine. I usually just turn it off the first time or so I hit a stop sign and notice it, no biggie.....but I also have a six-speed so maybe it's not as annoying for me.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 10-08-2012, 04:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
bmw issues a service bulletin to reprogram this feature upon drivers request.
yet they dont inform drivers they have that option.
how can you request what you dont know exists?

when they do notify dealers do they also instruct them to notify drivers who come in for service,or do they prefer they just bury the bulletin?
and how many other bulletins that might give us additional choices now or in the future might we be unaware if?
you go into the service department, and the service people themselves arent aware. we have to inform them ,when it is them who should be informing us.

i guess if you dont belong to a forum such as this that provides this information,you are in the dark. and it appears bmw is quite o.k. with that.
i had mine reprogrammed last week.
when my service advisor had this uncertain look on his face when i requested the change,i made it easy for him and just handed him a printed copy of the bulletin that was posted on this site.

someone here took the time to school me . i then schooled by service advisor.
who then schooled my service technician, who i assume had to school the service manager to get authorization.
the info trail had to climb uphill,when it should have rolled downhill.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:05 AM

Does any other auto manufacturers inform their customers of TSB, I do not think so.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:03 AM
BMW's Since 1989

Mein Auto: 2014 328xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
Well, tbh these cars were designed for the "3-year lease turn and burn" market who won't care about potential long term issues anyway. A lot of other cars have this same feature so it as a standard feature is going to be popping up everywhere soon, I imagine. I usually just turn it off the first time or so I hit a stop sign and notice it, no biggie.....
No biggie - I agree. Keyser Soze sums this up exactly as I feel. I simply turn it off if it bothers me under the driving conditions. Just as I have to agree to the legal statement and select Navigation on startup from time to time. Also, not biggies.

We will see more and more of AS/S on cars in the U.S. as we follow (yet again) Europe's lead with something they've done widely for years. I do think it would have been better if BMW had set up AS/S from the beginning to default to the last on/off selection, but understand they were probably going for the final increment of mpg certification by setting it up to default to ON.

Sometimes I find it useful. Since it's no biggie, and I don't crave a change, I think I will leave mine the way it is, and avoid the possibility that a dealer technician may inadvertently corrupt my system software when he tries to modify it.

Last edited by jimpal; 10-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Does any other auto manufacturers inform their customers of TSB, I do not think so.
tsb are from factorys,the people who make the cars, to dealers,the people who service the cars.
they are often very technical as the name states,and beyond the comprehension of most.
so no i dont expect them to go to owners.

but specific info that is in a tsb ,ecspecially info that gives the owners a choice involving one of their cars features,should be bought to the owners attention . that notification can come in a number of differant ways. how bmw decides to inform me is their choice.
but i do expect them to inform me.

what good is there in giving your customers a choice,
if you dont also inform them they now have a choice?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:51 AM

Unless its a safety recall, you wouldnt hear from BMW.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:26 PM

I just have to report back that now that I've been driving around for five days without that STUPID feature, I feel so liberated! It's so nice to not have to either remember to turn it off, or wait for the first time the engine dies and then remember to shut it off. I didn't realize how annoying the feature was until I didn't have to deal with it anymore.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 AM
Can has cheezburger

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
What additional cost incurred through engine wear? Or let me phrase it another way, what engine wear will the auto start stop cause?
My understanding working on cars as a teenager was that engine components only had a certain number of "starts" in their usable lifetime. That was a long time ago, forgive me if I don't remember specifics (my "shop" car was a 69 Plymouth Duster, Canary Yellow of course).

It could be a myth or it could be a problem that has long since been rectified.

Regardless, allow me to rewrite my question -

Has anyone seen statistic on actual efficiency improvements from the Start/Stop feature?

I'd be interested in seeing them just for my own knowledge.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post

Regardless, allow me to rewrite my question -

Has anyone seen statistic on actual efficiency improvements from the Start/Stop feature?

I'd be interested in seeing them just for my own knowledge.
There is no way to quantifier the fuel savings from ASS since everyone's commute is different, but most experts estimate it to be 5% to 10% saving in fuel and it can also substantially reduce air pollution during idling.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i Platinum
Can someone provide me this TSB ?

What dealer did you go to ? Im also in NY

Last edited by aman27; 10-09-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:31 PM

any dealer can do it. i went to new jersey,where i purchased the car.

SIB 12 15 12

INFORMATION
The Automatic Start/Stop (MSA) system is a further BMW Efficient Dynamics measure aimed at meeting BMW's commitment to reducing CO2 emissions and enhancing fuel economy.

BMW, always a leader in innovative technology, will be the first automobile manufacturer to bring MSA technology to all new models.

Automatic Start/Stop systems will become prevalent in the future, as manufacturers strive to meet increasingly stringent emissions and fuel economy requirements.

By automatically switching the engine off when the car is stationary, MSA can improve fuel economy and reduce emissions.

New F-vehicles now incorporate the second generation of MSA (MSA II), which has been further developed to operate in combination with an automatic transmission and the BN2020 electrical system.

A detailed description of the MSA Automatic Start/Stop function can be found in the ICP Technician library under Technical Training course ST1112.

SITUATION
Some drivers have expressed the desire to deactivate this function in certain situations. This can be done manually via the Automatic Start/Stop function button with the LED switched on, indicating that the start/stop function is deactivated.

However, by default, the Automatic Start/Stop function is reactivated each time the engine is started.

At the request of an owner, it is possible to modify this default logic to "Last user mode."

With this logic, the current MSA's activated or deactivated setting is stored and used on the next trip.

Note: All new BMW M models have the "Last user mode" as the default setting from production.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528i xDrive
Does it take long for the dealer to do this? Also was there any unforeseen consequences associated with the change?

Thanks!

Mike
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
I need to ask my dealer. Thanks for posting.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 528Xi
I'm not completely sold on the Auto- S/S yet & I am curious about the long term impact on the engine & starter mech.

I've only had the car 3 weeks & it has all of 700 miles on it, mostly on the freeway & I'm rarely in stop & go traffic. I imagine that any fuel savings in my case would be minimal. But the Auto-S/S doesn't really bother me, I kind of think its cool & I can see where it would add fuel savings & MPG if you spend a lot of time in traffic or lines. The sales person claimed that it saves about a gallon per tank not sure what that comes to in idling time. They told me if I wanted they would at no charge reverse it so that the default is that it's off & you would have to turn it on each time you drove if you wanted it.

But really I can just as easily turn it off myself & you can control it by the brake.. Say your in an intersection & don't want the engine to go off as you anticipate turning momentarily, you just press the brake with greater pressure as the vehicle comes to a stop then let off some pressure. It takes a few times to figure it out but it works well. Likewise you can just move the steering wheel & it will not engage.

I guess time will tell on how the system holds up, like anything else the more complicated something is the more there is to break.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 535-XI
Crazy thing with this auto shut off feature.I've been by-passing mine since i purchased in August
A few weeks ago after getting gas i forgot & realized it did not shut off at the next several red lights ????
Now when i leave it off it no longer seems to shut down & then every so often does .
This has me concerned what if it's somehow defective & shuts down & then not re-start
I hate to go to a dealer to repair it since i hate the feature but this seems crazy
Any thoughts ?
Maybe just get it coded out & forget about it ?