Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-05-2012, 05:17 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi 2013
Just got my 2013 328xi - Have a few ?s

Just got my 2013 328xi - Have a few questions, if anyone can help me out:

1. How come there is no track forward or reverse button on the wheel? is there a special setting i need to change to have my volume button act in that manner?

2. When i test drove the car at the dealership they had a button for the handbrake, in my model i actually have a handbrake. Is it because the car i test drove was a different model (luxury,sport,..)

3. I have heated seats - shouldn't i have heated wheel? if so how do i turn that on?

more questions to come as I start driving it more...

thanks in advance for all your help
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
1. The car now uses the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel to "scroll" through songs. If you have the Tech Package, the song list will appear on the HUD. If you don't have the HUD the song list will appear on the LCD between the gauges. Either way, you rotate the wheel one stop north and push it in to "skip".

2. You are mistaken. It's a manual handbrake.

3. Heated steering wheel is a separate option from heated seats alone. Winter package needs to be on your build.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-05-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi 2013
BJ,

Thank for the reply,

1. is there a way to automatically have the side mirrors go up and down? Go up when the car is turned off and down then the car is on?
2. You are right about the HUD - just not used to that i guess (my tsx 09 had a button for it)
3. I only have heated seats

4. any idea on how i can get just a rear view camera installed? without paying crazy amount of money at the dealership?
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojasray View Post
more questions to come as I start driving it more...

thanks in advance for all your help
I think you'll find people here are more than willing to help if you at least try to peruse the manual before asking some basic questions.

The F30 all have a manual handbrake, so you are mistaken on what you experienced at the dealership.

If you didn't get winter package you don't have a heated steering wheel.

You can't "skip" tracks with the steering wheel buttons, you will have to use the buttons on the radio. You can select songs from the current playlist with the scroll wheel but there's no way to "skip" that I am aware of.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojasray View Post
BJ,

Thank for the reply,

1. is there a way to automatically have the side mirrors go up and down? Go up when the car is turned off and down then the car is on?
2. You are right about the HUD - just not used to that i guess (my tsx 09 had a button for it)
3. I only have heated seats

4. any idea on how i can get just a rear view camera installed? without paying crazy amount of money at the dealership?
You can code the mirrors to go up and down based on comfort access or key fob for the F10, I would guess you can do the same on the F30 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

There will probably be a rear camera retrofit from one of our sponsors coming soon.

Tim
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
You can't "skip" tracks with the steering wheel buttons, you will have to use the buttons on the radio. You can select songs from the current playlist with the scroll wheel but there's no way to "skip" that I am aware of.
There's a way to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to skip (sort of).

Without looking at the display, scroll the wheel down one click (you'll feel it) and push it in.

In reality, you're bringing up the 'list' and choosing the next track, but if you don't look at the list it's the same thing as the blind 'skip' feature.

Wheel down + Push in = Skip on steering wheel

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: F30
I thought power-folding side mirrors is a standard feature, no?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
They are. But you have to manually fold them in using the button on the driver door. The OP is asking how to have them automatically fold.

Tim
Old 10-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
In the US you need to hit a button to fold them. In other countries, they do it automatically.

If in the US you start the car with them folded and drive a few yards they'll unfold automatically, but they won't fold in when you put the car in Park.

BJ

Old 10-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
They are. But you have to manually fold them in using the button on the driver door. The OP is asking how to have them automatically fold.

Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
In the US you need to hit a button to fold them. In other countries, they do it automatically.

If in the US you start the car with them folded and drive a few yards they'll unfold automatically, but they won't fold in when you put the car in Park.

BJ
Thanks.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
There's a way to use the scroll wheel on the steering wheel to skip (sort of).

Without looking at the display, scroll the wheel down one click (you'll feel it) and push it in.

In reality, you're bringing up the 'list' and choosing the next track, but if you don't look at the list it's the same thing as the blind 'skip' feature.

Wheel down + Push in = Skip on steering wheel

BJ

The problem with this is that my playlist is set to "shuffle all songs" but when scrolling in the i-drive it just shows all of the tracks alphabetically.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
You can code the mirrors to go up and down based on comfort access or key fob for the F10, I would guess you can do the same on the F30 -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

There will probably be a rear camera retrofit from one of our sponsors coming soon.

Tim
Rear camera retrofit is of interest to me depending on cost. Will it work with the i-drive?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The problem with this is that my playlist is set to "shuffle all songs" but when scrolling in the i-drive it just shows all of the tracks alphabetically.
Yes. No workaround for Shuffle unfortunately.

BJ

Old 10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Electric Red '02 330CiC
Quote:
I think you'll find people here are more than willing to help if you at least try to peruse the manual before asking some basic questions...

"Send lawyers, guns and money/The sh*t has hit the fan"
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Yes. No workaround for Shuffle unfortunately.

BJ
E90 has a random setting in idrive that will play shuffled songs non-alphabetically. Are you saying the F30 eliminated this feature?

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
E90 has a random setting in idrive that will play shuffled songs non-alphabetically. Are you saying the F30 eliminated this feature?
No, what we were talking about is the lack of a skip forward button on the steering wheel. The ability to play songs randomly still there, still in the same place in the iDrive settings.

What we were lamenting is the fact that you can't use anything but the skip forward button to the right of the 1-8 buttons to advance the next track while in shuffle mode. Because of the head up display and the song title list in the gauges, BMW now gives a scroll wheel where the skip forward and skip back buttons used to be on the steering wheel. It's great when you're in playlists or album mode, but doesn't advance the track when you're in shuffle mode.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-05-2012 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
No, what we were talking about is the lack of a skip forward button on the steering wheel. The ability to play songs randomly still there, still in the same place in the iDrive settings.

What we were lamenting is the fact that you can't use anything but the skip forward button to the right of the 1-8 buttons to advance the next track while in shuffle mode. Because of the head up display and the song title list in the gauges, BMW now gives a scroll wheel where the skip forward and skip back buttons used to be on the steering wheel. It's great when you're in playlists or album mode, but doesn't advance the track when you're in shuffle mode.

BJ
Thank you for the clarification.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,