Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 & 1999 323i vert
Good job.
Old 06-29-2009, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I realize I'm new here, but what's so hard about installing this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuzzy_pink.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	191438
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4+X3, 2006 530Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by spokelizard View Post
I realize I'm new here, but what's so hard about installing this?

Attachment 191438
LOL

My garage: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Manual, 2007 BMW X3, 2006 BMW 530xi

Retired: 1998 BMW Z3

Member of BMWCCA!
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
I got two sets of confusing instructions - one with the Dice, one a download from BSW. Ambiguous are:

My X3 is prewired for satellite radio (satellite radio is not installed nor will it ever be) - are the instructions the same nonetheless - all connections can be made in the console?

Should I disconnect the battery when doing the install?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by dharmadoggie; 08-29-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spellign :-)
Old 06-28-2010, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 3.5, 2004 330CiC
Footnote=

1. Yes, disconnect the battery when you install
2. What's hard - a.) finding the damn cable - mine was way back under the rug, b.) working in a fairly confined spce with # 10 paws.
3. This is an excellent DYI as long as you don't have DSP. I do.

There are a couple of additional considerations-
1. The DSP is another module about the same size as the basic Dice module. You can't fit both, plus all the cable into the available space.
2. The DSP module wants switched power, which is not readily available in the console.

My fix:
1. For switched power, I tapped into the rear console lighter power with solderless connectors and put a small Radio Shack micro-switch betwen the hot (red) lead znc the hot lead into the DSP module (soldereing required). I drilled another hole in the console tray to accomodate the microswitch.
2. I put the DSP module flat on the console floor next to the other Dice module w/ velcro.
3. Fishing the wires thru the same space as the phone cable is a bitch. I found it easier to cut the back of the bucket and wrap the cables with foam & electrician's tape.
4. I cut about 2" off he bottom of the console bucket with my Dremel and put a piece of thin plastic over the Dice cabling & DSP module and then a piece of high density 1" foam cut to fit over the plastic. I can't put small,loose items in there anymore, but my GPS & flashlight still fit just fine

Last edited by BM2W; 06-28-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: I'm not illiterate, just a lousy typist
Old 06-29-2010, 02:53 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
There is also a nice video on youtube.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: '10 BMW X3;'09 Acura TL
Help with DICE Install on 2010

Hi Everyone. I have a 2010 X3 with BMW Business Radio and was doing the IPOD DICE install. I followed the excellent instructions prepared by XJSChris and everything was going well to a point. When I took apart the center console to find the CD harness, I only found the one marked CD SDARS. As noted in the instructions, CD SDARS is the wrong harness.

I looked and looked but the other 6 pin harness wasn't there. Neither was the 3 pin harness.

Can anyone help me locate it?

Thanks,

John

(BTW, I have the cold weather package and could see all connections for the rear seat heaters and mini aux plug inside the center console area. We currently use the mini Aux to connect our IPod but the unit picks up some kind of interference and I thought the DICE module would be a great improvement.)
Old 07-04-2012, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 E83 3.0si
What a great thread - I just got my 2008 3.0si w Business CD and I'm strongly considering the Dice product. A couple questions for everyone:
1. It looks to me (from the photos on the Dice site) like the ashtray iPod/iPhone adapter mounts the iPhone/Pod in such a way that the touchscreen is facing down a bit. Does that make it difficult to see the screen, or am I being fooled by the photos?
2. My '08 X3 has the AUX input + 12v lighter in the foldout console on the back of the armrest. Does that mean the harnesses in the console will be different than the ones the OP has?
3. General user consensus: good product? Great? So so?

Thanks!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Sanity is over rated

Mein Auto: Silver 2006 BMW X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure X3llence View Post
What a great thread - I just got my 2008 3.0si w Business CD and I'm strongly considering the Dice product. A couple questions for everyone:
1. It looks to me (from the photos on the Dice site) like the ashtray iPod/iPhone adapter mounts the iPhone/Pod in such a way that the touchscreen is facing down a bit. Does that make it difficult to see the screen, or am I being fooled by the photos?
2. My '08 X3 has the AUX input + 12v lighter in the foldout console on the back of the armrest. Does that mean the harnesses in the console will be different than the ones the OP has?
3. General user consensus: good product? Great? So so?

Thanks!
I like mine a lot, text to speech is not great (humorous at times), but it works.
I don't use Ipod so cannot weigh in on the mount, I use USB sticks for music but did bring a plug out for my MP3 as well.
The only issues I have is the text to speech could be better and it always seems to start at the beginning of my stored music and not where I left off.
My installation was straightforward other than my car had the 6 pin harnesses reversed or tagged incorrectly and had no sound until I figured that out.
I didn't use the phone feature in mine as I already had hands free in the car.
I was going for a cd changer, but went with the mediabridge and glad I did.

Silverstar upgraded headlights
Velocity motoring vb3 19" 9.5 wheels
Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 10-05-2012, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e39 530i 2001
Hi!
Couldn't find the solution for the following:
how to disable text-to-speech option (the voice saying "Bluetooth mode, Playlist mode, Song mode, etc.) every time then the mediabridge is ON.
I found this:

TTS (Text-To-Speech) configuration
The default factory TTS configuration would make announcements for the Bluetooth connectivity, answering / making phone calls, selecting different playing modes, except no song title announcement. To control how often voice announcements occur, please press the following preset number in sequence:

Preset Sequence /Function
1-3-5-2-4-6-1 Turn off TTS completely
1-3-5-2-4-6-2 Turn on the phone relative TTS only
1-3-5-2-4-6-3 Turn on ALL TTS feature
1-3-5-2-4-6-4 Reset TTS back to factory default

but it didn't help.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Sanity is over rated

Page 14 in the manual, I think you have to choose the option quickly after selecting source
Attached Files
File Type: pdf announce.PDF (932.1 KB, 77 views)

Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 03-16-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2007 X3
Sounds like you have a solution to the missing manual for my recently acquired 2007 X3 in the form of a PDF. Unfortunately, it does not appear that your posted link will allow retrieval of the PDF. Would you be kind enough to guide me to its acquisition?

Best regards,
Jon Jensen
Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 PM
Sanity is over rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonensn View Post
Sounds like you have a solution to the missing manual for my recently acquired 2007 X3 in the form of a PDF. Unfortunately, it does not appear that your posted link will allow retrieval of the PDF. Would you be kind enough to guide me to its acquisition?

Best regards,
Jon Jensen
Not sure why you are having trouble, I opened it ok and saw it had 32 views
I could email it to you if you have trouble with it

Yokahama S drive tires
Upgraded stereo system
Dice Mediabridge
Hitch install
Old 05-02-2013, 04:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Can anyone point me in the direction of the device unit that will work in my 2005 (UK) X3? I've seen a cpuple and am confused as to which one is the right one for my X3. As far as I know I dont have DSP or anything.

I have taken out the CD changer and see that this was connected by the 3 & 6 pin connectors. I presume this will be the exact 2 cables used for connecting a dice unit?

I am looking to orde this today so that I can fit it this weekend