Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:53 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Im an AA frequent flyer as well.. 3mm life, hit Plat Exec this year in July (!). Currently sitting in First on a comp upgrade (love that gogoinflght). Actually flew 29 segments in the last 30 days, with a handful USair and Delta- maybe 24 on AA.

I have zero concerns with safety. Zero. Putting aside the business aspect, the AA group is top notch when it comes to safety - of course IMO. Something has gone wrong with their seat hardware/install procedures IMO,. New track, new fittings- something. I do not believe this was willful sabotage. But we will know shortly, I think.

Now, customer service, hassle and delays will be an entirely different story. I can tell you that I get the Clooney 'Up in the Air' treatment. So if I am on a flught that is looking delayed, or I have a tight conn=ection, I just call (or email my admin) and have them book a duplicate segment as 'backup'..stuff like that. If you do NOT have status, Uggghhh.

I was on several delayed flights. One was an obvious work slowdown by the pilot- the log book had listed a 'know issue' of a piece of metal that covers an actuator as having 3 missing rivets. Prior pilots signed off on the log and flew 'as is'. THIS pilot declared it was not safe- that it could come off and hurt someone on the ground- and demanded maintenance remove the other 15 rivits and take off the piece. 2.5 hours of my life, and 5 hours of sleep as opposed to 7 that night! I had a few other delays, one 1 hr another 2 hours, but not signifciant as they were away from the hub.

I am, however, nervous about my 1.4MM miles. My advice would be to use them sooner rather than later.

A

PS On the merger talks, my limited understandsing is that USair has secured labor agremenets from pilots and FAs...and AA/AMR is wanting to sweeten the deal for their corp shareholders... so the pilots and FAs want management to take this deal in the shorts, USAir having already bought them. Pilots are sticking it to corporate to force them to take what USAir is offering. I do not know enough about the relatvive culpability of Pilots and FAs versus corp as to the current position of AA to be able to say 'Labor killed them' or 'mismanagement did it', so cannot say who deserves to be shafted.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
"Did we land, or were we shot down?"

Ok, Ok...if it is airplane joke time...

Quote:
Allegedly the German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They, it is alleged, not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206. Speedbird 206: "Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway." Ground: "Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven." The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop. Ground: "Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?" Speedbird 206: "Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now." Ground (with quite arrogant impatience): "Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt before?" Speedbird 206 (coolly): "Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark,...... and I didn't land."
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 AM
trailingthrottleoversteer

Mein Auto: Ram 1500 R/T
In Maui now, left on Tuesday and flew 5 hours on American to get here from LAX. Plane took off almost 4 hours late, and there were 3 plane changes.

This is email they sent:

Quote:
We know that the delay of your recent flight was an inconvenience to you (not to mention disruptive to your travel plans), and we apologize. At the same time, we'd like to offer a more tangible gesture of our concern. Accordingly, we've credited your AAdvantage® account with 5000 bonus miles. This mileage adjustment will be visible in your account in just a few days. You can view your account via http://www.aa.com/aadvantage.

Thank you for flying with us, and for your business, which we never take for granted.

Sincerely,

B. J. Russell

Customer Relations

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
In Maui now, left on Tuesday and flew 5 hours on American to get here from LAX. Plane took off almost 4 hours late, and there were 3 plane changes.

This is email they sent:
this is f#$%.

We flying to Miami on 10/20 on AA

'13 320i Alpine White/Black/AT
Old 10-04-2012, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:

This is email they sent:
So they only gave you $50.00 (Equivelent)?? Wow. You should ask for your TIME back (the 4 hours) and tell them what you earn per hour if you calculated it out per hour...
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I am, however, nervous about my 1.4MM miles. My advice would be to use them sooner rather than later.
Years ago, I was sitting with about 700k miles on United when they started talking about bankruptcy. For Christmas, everyone in the family got a card that said "free plane tickets to where ever you want." I burned off the last of them on a trip to Europe with friends.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

4 hours of my life...or worse, 4 hours less sleep when I am already sleep deprived and jet lagged- is not worth ANY reasonable amount. They could offer me 50k miles or $1000 to 'take a later flight' and I'd tell them to pound sand.

The really galling thing is after a horrendous delay, on (final) arrival, the pilot profusely thanks you for your patience and understanding...and I want to scream "I had no F%#^ing choice, if I did anything other than sit here you'd have had me arrested!"

But 5k is a nice gesture, at the very least.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:

The really galling thing is after a horrendous delay, on (final) arrival, the pilot profusely thanks you for your patience and understanding...and I want to scream "I had no F%#^ing choice, if I did anything other than sit here you'd have had me arrested!"

But 5k is a nice gesture, at the very least.
Yeah. Platinum here. About 12 trips from Executive. Still got the upgrade to first for 5 upgrades each (me and Mrs. Rizzo) for the trip - regardless of the delay. Since i was on vacation - it was not much of a big deal to me. If I had to be someplace for biz and was late... it would have been a real pisser, but that has not happened yet. I dont think they GAS about non Executive members though. I dont think they put much effort into the folks that fly a couple times a week for pleasure...My guess is they only give high ranking Aadvantage members the good treatment. Mrs. Rizzo did not get a 5k bonus in her account...

The Lady that cuts my hair is an AA flight attendant and she told me that the "company" tells her that the high ranking Aadavantage members are the "bread and butter" for the company and are to be treated well.

American always takes good care of me. I was flying back from Dallas a couple of weeks ago. I did not get the upgrade and was sitting in the exit row in coach. After boarding the plane, I got a blocked call on my cell. It was the gate attendant telling me that after everyone boards, to move up to seat 3C and they would get my bag overhead and put it in the gate check compartment.

If we all threw our problems into a pile and saw everyone else's - we'd grab ours back.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:23 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
So they only gave you $50.00 (Equivelent)?? Wow. You should ask for your TIME back (the 4 hours) and tell them what you earn per hour if you calculated it out per hour...
If you check the price of a plane ticket, without including the taxes, I would say a mile is worth about 2 cents now.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
AA is a ****ty airlines, but they got the best frequent flyer program.
I have used the miles to Europe at least 10 trips, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Stockholm, Zurich, Amsterdam. Some airports are not available anymore. When I get sick of Europe, I'll go the other way to Tokyo and beyond, if they still exists.

Program to Date Miles 1,033,230
Total Available Award Mileage + 103,217

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 10-05-2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
The Lady that cuts my hair is an AA flight attendant and she told me that the "company" tells her that the high ranking Aadavantage members are the "bread and butter" for the company and are to be treated well.

American always takes good care of me. I was flying back from Dallas a couple of weeks ago. I did not get the upgrade and was sitting in the exit row in coach. After boarding the plane, I got a blocked call on my cell. It was the gate attendant telling me that after everyone boards, to move up to seat 3C and they would get my bag overhead and put it in the gate check compartment.
^ Sweet.

I've got to say, the 'loyalty programs' work... I get free upgrades on any fare, and probably have flow coach in 4 times out of the last 25 flights this month. Sometimes I clear the list 4 days out, sometimes at the counter, but almost always. Remind me why I want to be treated like cattle on DL/UA/CO or (shudder) Southwest?

I actually think that the super-frequent fliers are a bit more understanding of delays- perhaps it is that they get inured, for if you get upset you'll be miserable- you ignore it and just move on, get to where you need to be.

I just finished booking two round trips-a $500 ticket to LA, and a $1300 ticket to ATL both for next week and I'll only be gone 3 days!.... might even hit concierge key this year

A

PS Should do a "who's flying right now' thread in OT. If you are in the air, post the flight #...
Old 10-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: A car
American cancelled 51 flights yesterday and a bunch again today to fix the seats. I was flying non-rev on another airline and the fallout was that American passengers got put onto my flight to Puerto Rico at full fare by American... I get bumped as I'm non-rev... so I went home - bought a ticket this time so that when I get to that leg of my trip, I'm getting a seat... this will impact for quite some time to come.

It's ALL perspective - get some. No - I am NOT addressing YOU!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM

ok - I heard 51 flights - but I'm reading 271 - that's crazy - daughter who works for another airline heard a rumor that AA pilots have also been caught falsifying their safety reports - ie, they're not checking the aircraft before takeoff, but are signing off that they have... a HUGE no-no... don't know how true that is - it could be just an insider rumor with no substance.. but if it had ANY truth to it...

Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

51 aircraft could easily be 271 cancelled flights.

I did experience AA pilots refusing to sign off on known issues that were in the aircraft log- even though they had been there previously and had be flown by others- as a way of pressuring AA Corp.

Let me ask you this- in what UNIVERSE could you imagine ANY pilot risking THEIR OWN LIFE by not inspecting their aircraft???? Your repeating that nonsense- not "insider rumor", but rather a false or planted rumor- is pretty silly.

IMO
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
^ Sweet.

PS Should do a "who's flying right now' thread in OT. If you are in the air, post the flight #...

/rant/ I'd love to, but it seems that too many of the flights still dont have go-go. The 7:30 LAX-DAL is always packed but no go-go? LAX to OGG (Maui) is 5 hours and no go-go?? ...But Dallas to San Antonio has wi-fi??

Who picks the planes and flights?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Let me ask you this- in what UNIVERSE could you imagine ANY pilot risking THEIR OWN LIFE by not inspecting their aircraft????
You obviously think higher of the human race than I do. People, at all levels, are generally lazy and have amazing abilities to rationalize their behavior.

There are countless videos on youtube of pilots risking their lives by doing stupid things, fortunately generally not in commerical airliners, but the point is still valid.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM

The knock-on effect of AA flight cnxltions is filling other airlines to capacity - talking to staff on JetBlue, cape air and others in Puerto Rico (where we are overnighting) and they say they have never seen so many back to back full to capacity flights.

As a plus side to our ill-timed little adventure into standby flying - we get to visit Vieques tomorrow!

Old 10-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW