Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-29-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 - 2004
Replacement Battery for Keys

Hi All

Does anybody know if you can replace the battery in the key fob on my 2004 X3. I only have the 1 key so i need to get the battery replaced on this fob because it isn't working at all even thought they are supposed to be recharging when in the ignition. Are they a sealed unit or do split to replace the battery
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Sealed unit but the battery can be replaced. See video:

Old 09-29-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Nice, I recall another DIY series here a few years ago -- no video but still pix -- same thing except it required very light soldering as I recall. The battery was a Radio Shack thing for about $2.00 and epoxy was used to close the case. Still a pretty easy to save a couple hundred bucks! This video probably should go up in the "Pay it Forward" thread for future use too.

Last edited by UncleJ; 09-29-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
If you have bought a used BMW and have only been given one key that doesn't seem to work well, don't assume that just replacing the battery will fix it.

Others on this forum have found the following can also be factors:

- previous owner may have gone swimming with the key or laundered it (corroded internals)

- there may be a substance on the key shaft that prevents charging (clean with solvent)

- the receiver may need replacing on early X3s (some upgrades were done under warranty)

I don't think there too many on this forum that have had a key battery die that are original owners.
Even if you neglect to periodically charge an unused key, they seem to keep going and going.

So don't tear a key apart until you have ruled out other causes, possibly with the help of a locksmith who can test it and reprogram if needed.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 - 2004
Cheers All

I will try all the options before i open the key case up,

Cheers Again for all your suggestions