Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
While fixing Guibo/shift shaft seal what else should I replace?

Howdy,

My next project is to replace a leaky shift shaft seal and guibo.

What else should I fix while I am doing this and down there? I have 110K miles on the same clutch and I am thinking maybe do the clutch? Any ideas? How hard is the clutch?

Is the guibo the same as a universal joint?
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 05:58 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
This is the best DIY instructions for clutch replacement:
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/cj/cj.html

It is not easy to get at the bolts on the top of the transmission. The rest of the job is a doable DIY however.

If you have the transmission out, you should replace the shift detent pins too:
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplass...hift_pins.html (also a great DIY from Vinci)

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
For the shift shaft seal, especially if you're doing it without removing the trans. there's a pretty easy fix. Instaed of risking damage to the shaft (scratches/gouges that will insure the new seal will leak) by trying to remove the old seal, push it in further; there's enough depth in the housing for two (2) seals to be stacked in there. Lubricate the rubber lip of the new seal before pressing it in, and now its only job is to catch what leaked past the original seal.

The shift pins are always a good idea, but I'd wait until the transmission was already being removed for a clutch job.

And yes, Derek's write-ups should answer any questions you have about the job(s); I could even volunteer his phone number for you...

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes View Post
For the shift shaft seal, especially if you're doing it without removing the trans. there's a pretty easy fix. Instaed of risking damage to the shaft (scratches/gouges that will insure the new seal will leak) by trying to remove the old seal, push it in further; there's enough depth in the housing for two (2) seals to be stacked in there. Lubricate the rubber lip of the new seal before pressing it in, and now its only job is to catch what leaked past the original seal.

The shift pins are always a good idea, but I'd wait until the transmission was already being removed for a clutch job.

And yes, Derek's write-ups should answer any questions you have about the job(s); I could even volunteer his phone number for you...
First off, I appreciate both of your responses.

So you think I should just put the new shift shaft seal behind the old one? I am not removing the transmission because I just planned to do guibo and seal unless I should do something else while there.

Is there a link to how to do Guibo and Shift Shaft Seal? Thank you.

So should I do the clutch while doing the guibo and seal? I don't want to move the transmission unless I have to.

Last edited by lovemyz3; 10-06-2012 at 07:23 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 AM

Any links on how to do giubo and shift shaft seal? Dealership wants $665 + tax
Old 07-25-2013, 07:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Most of the info you need is buried in this link (mentioned above):
http://webspace.ringling.edu/~dplassma/cj/cj.html

Once you get the shift linkage disconnected, just lubricate the new shift shaft seal and tap it in using a deep socket, driving the old seal farther into the case.

Guibo installation instructions and torque specs are near the end of the link.