Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 10-05-2012, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Aftermark Angel Eye Xenon Headlights

Hey guys, I've been looking around for a set of headlights to replace my stock halogen ones. What I would like is to keep it stock looking but have angel eyes and xenon projectors. I would really love the oem hella ones but they are really expensive and I can't afford them. I was hoping there was a nice aftermarket set that I could get at a fraction of the price or even used for around $350 or less.

I'm hesitant to buy eBay ones because the beam pattern will probably be awful. I've look at DDMtuning and umnitza so far as possible options.

Is it just not worth it to get any aftermarket at all and stick with my stock and put xenon in there instead? Because either way, I'm going to install an HID system.

Your thoughts would be great. Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
You are looking at the right venders. DJ autos are popular, this horse has been beaten so much its now a pulp. ewww ha ha
Old 10-05-2012, 04:13 PM

I like my horses tenderized! lol

The DJ auto is the DDM ones right?

I'm just not sure which to get and if its worth getting at all so I need the input from people in the know.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 540i
Do a search, read for 4 hours, then ask something.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
Do a search, read for 4 hours, then ask something.
lol you really just left a reply just to tell me to search. I actually did already... That's how I found the some of the different headlights available. I just need some more input, hopefully from people who own one of them would be great.

There's actually a set on amazon but it got a bad review so I crossed that off the list.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
I bought Ebay (Chinese) ones with angel eyes for my E39 about 2 years ago. Paid about $250 for both. I have stock HIDs so I just used the stock bulbs and ballest. I had to do a little wireing for the angel eyes, but they work great. I could see where I was going at night. They have not given me any problems to date. The light pattern was a lot wider then the stock ones. My personal opinion is that they are better then the stock ones.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:44 PM

Well, I guess when you ask if DJ auto is "the DDM one" when that's a) the only headlight for E39 ddm sells and b) it says 'dj auto' in the main description it sounds like you aren't doing the research.

Most people that are super happy with DJ Autos have paid for a bunch of Umnitza upgrades that cost more than what I've paid for used Xenon OEMs that needed a headlight restoration ($20+drill). I've found used OEM Xenons between $300-450 locally, but they don't come up super often on craigslist. I don't like having the "Euro cutoff" I'd rather have the standard US cutoff. If you are more focused on just the looks, the DJ Autos are the cheapest reasonable upgrade.

DJ Auto thread: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1226650
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM

Honestly...those DMM tuning lights look....and I mean look exaclly like the Chinese ones I bought off Ebay. Right down to the headlight adjusting points, the connectors, relays and wiring. WOW! Looks light someones just ordering them from the Chinese and marking the price up.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:11 PM

totally possible, maybe post a link of what you bought (login to Ebay, go to Purchase history if it is within 90 days)? Not really my thing but could be useful for someone else as both Umnitza and DDM tuning have shakey reps.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Ill take a look, but like I said, it was about 2 years ago I bought them. Its so un-canny how they look the same. I keep looking at the pics in your link and even the auto adjust motor cover is the same. Weird. And when I was first talking about getting the Chinese ones from Ebay on this fourm, so many people had negetive comments about buying Chinese parts.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspensilver540 View Post
Well, I guess when you ask if DJ auto is "the DDM one" when that's a) the only headlight for E39 ddm sells and b) it says 'dj auto' in the main description it sounds like you aren't doing the research.
I just don't usually hear it by that name considering like you said its the only headlight they sell so I just call them DDM. Stop trying to berate me on every post and cut me some slack, I didnt memorize the description.
google flagged bimmerforums as an attack site... I wonder what happen with that.
Ive been checking craigslist for a while and nothing local. ebay is good but usually ends up being pretty expensive for the hellas

Jason you wouldnt be able to find that transaction in your ebay history anymore. only way would be to possibly find it in paypal or if you saved a copy of the email. I would be very interested to know which ones you got though since they are so similar to ddms. purchasing direct from ddm isnt too far off though since its $285.

I actually sent a email to ddm regarding their hid kits and headlights a while ago but still havent heard back. not a good sign for their customer service department so far lol.

It would really nice to have a good warranty in case something goes wrong with the angel eyes like ive heard from the posts ive read.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM

I was just explaining myself, not berating you. Did you notice I helped? Sheesh.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: '99 528i/5-spd M52TU
myst, I may have missed it in your sig but from the sound of things you have a pre-facelift car, right?

You've got some choices but I have to agree with the cost-related point aspen made in his second post. If it were me doing this over again, I'd still buy used Hellas.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:36 PM
www.umnitza.com

Mein Auto: ///M
Orion V4 and Projector39 - an unbeatable combo. And looks can be very deceiving, if you are buying a look alike from ebay, those are legitimately beautiful and quality lights for about 2 months, then they start to crack, yellow/fade, and the adjusters break, but they do have a good initial look.

We just did another install today:

Call US! 877 486 6489
Available: 9am-5pm M-F
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 PM
www.umnitza.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitemyst View Post
I just don't usually hear it by that name considering like you said its the only headlight they sell so I just call them DDM. Stop trying to berate me on every post and cut me some slack, I didnt memorize the description.
google flagged bimmerforums as an attack site... I wonder what happen with that.
Ive been checking craigslist for a while and nothing local. ebay is good but usually ends up being pretty expensive for the hellas

Jason you wouldnt be able to find that transaction in your ebay history anymore. only way would be to possibly find it in paypal or if you saved a copy of the email. I would be very interested to know which ones you got though since they are so similar to ddms. purchasing direct from ddm isnt too far off though since its $285.

I actually sent a email to ddm regarding their hid kits and headlights a while ago but still havent heard back. not a good sign for their customer service department so far lol.

It would really nice to have a good warranty in case something goes wrong with the angel eyes like ive heard from the posts ive read.
Bimmerforums is fine - just proceed through. they had a user link to a site that had virus content, it's been removed but google is stupid.

Stay far away from ebay headlights, they look great for 2 months, then you will wish you never bought them.

Please feel free to give us a call, way too many people love our headlights for it to be a fluke that they buy ours instead of doing more research. The fact is, if you do a LOT of research, our headlights are the only ones you'll buy <-- not a sales pitch but the truth - if you are willing to spend a little more to get the very best.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 10-06-2012, 04:40 PM

I did a LOT of research and did not buy your headlights, but OK It is true there are loads of ppl that love their Umnitza headlights though. The Euro cutoff is one thing you have to really think about going away from OEM, there seems to be a pretty wide divide on it. So it isn't as simple as just doing research -- there's a preference here.

Last edited by aspensilver540; 10-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Quest_908

Mein Auto: 01 530i and 04 aviator
price

the umnitza headlights are still $800 or more if you get the fx retrofit and v4 angel eyes. you could almost just go to the dealership and get factory xenons installed on your halogen car. My dealership said that would be around $1200, not a very big difference especially when you consider the factory warranty on their headlights
Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM
www.umnitza.com

Well, that's true except:

For $800,
1) you get FXR pattern/bixenon - this alone is worth the price of admission because the product output is phenomenal - easily 3X better than the factory lights.
2) you get angel eyes that are superior to anything from the factory for that year of car (they are brighter and better quality than the ones on the newest cars as well and have night control built in like the newest models.
3) you get headlights that are EURO, not US spec - so you don't have the amber sides/reflectors.
4) you get plug and play compatibility without reprogramming (it may require reprogramming on some factory units if you don't already have Xenons)

And your "factory warranty" is no different than our warranty on our lights - except in 2 key places (Orion V4 are lifetime warranty, and depending on your choice Canbus Ballasts can be purchased with lifetime warranty as well).

Just wanted to give you the best info. Not sure if you had already called or not

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Faithful to the fest

Send a message via AIM to Eurojay89
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Dj auto uses parts from hella the eBay specials don't do not go with the eBay garbage spend the extra cash and go with quality I mean they are headlight one of the main safety features on the car go with dj auto if you are just looking for an updated look don't do the fxr projectors the ones that are in the dj auto are good enough if u want a super clean cutoff then go with the fxr projector

Old 10-08-2012, 06:21 PM
www.umnitza.com

The ones in the DJ Auto are not from HELLA so the projectors aren't "good enough" in many cases. Just saying, since we literally have sold nearly a thousand of these lights.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 10-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Mein Auto: e39 530i e28 535is(Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnitemyst View Post

DDM's reputation seems to be very low prices, but very slow or non existent customer service. Their prices may be hard to beat on certain items, but the quality and customer service might not always be as great as the prices. If you are looking for good customer service DDM, might not be the route to go. But there are people who are very happy with items they get from DDM and if low prices are your top priority then DDM may work out. I personally don;t have any experience with DDM so this i all based on what I have read.

In response to someone saying Umnitza's rep being shaky I will say the following. In my experience with them they have been very helpful and responsive. Even based on some of the complaints people against them it seems they try and work with people. Whether the response always satisfies the person and whether they really addressed the issue well is really hard to tell as only those two parties involved really know what went down in any given situation and its hard to know what really happened unless you were a fly on the wall.

I think someone else mentioned this, but people seem to say the projectors in standard DJ autos are supposedly not so great. I would agree with aspensilver540 in saying that people who are extremely happy with their DJ autos are people who get the upgraded Umnitza lights. If you are really going for great light output, I think Umnitza modded DJ autos, you modding your own DJ autos, or OEM xenon hellas (stock or projector swapped) are going to give the the best lighting performance. So unless you find some good deals locally or on ebay you are probably going to have a pay to get the best lighting performance.

I am not sure if this is an isolated case or indicative of aftermarket headlights, but based on the comments in the thread below aftermarket lights might not always be plug and play. There may be some tinkering/adjusting involved. I am not saying don't get aftermarket lights, just that it might not be smooth sailing. So if you can't deal with some tinkering you may not want to go that route.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1900818

Last edited by Solo12; 10-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:51 PM

Thank you all for your input. Yes I do believe I have pre facelift headlights (1999). I decided against any type of eBay headlights to prevent aggravation later as a lot of people have suggested. However at this point, there is no way I can spend anywhere close to $800 for just headlights. It would def have to be a lower model. I like the look of the DDM headlights over the umnitzas honestly (mainly I like how its smooth as compared to the ridges around the projector on the umnitza) but after reading the link from Solo12 about the DJ auto, it was very informative and I'm more hesitant to start a new "project" considering I have other issues on the car that needs time for me to repair so I can't waste time trying to get headlights to fit and project right (for now anyway).
I plan to call up umnitza anyway to see what kind of deal I can get. I probably wouldn't even mind some used ones honestly.

Thanks again for all your help guys, its appreciated. I have all the info, now I just need to make a decision.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:14 AM
www.umnitza.com

Ask for Tim.

Call US! 877 486 6489
Old 10-09-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
You can get a set of used OEM prefacelift Xenon lights, get an HID kit and a 3M headlight polish kit for under $200 if you are good.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i Blue/Sand
OK. I've been reading about Headlights for 2 days now.....and I'm no more educated than when I started.

I have a 1999 528 with stock headlights. The Driver's side is aimed a little lower than I'd like, but it looks like the adjuster was butchered by someone in the past. The adjuster raises the beam to a certain point and then stops -- there appears to be a piece of plastic jamming the light from moving any higher. OK, all well and good.

I looked for a used OEM Driver's side Headlight Assembly on ebay/craigslist/ et al. There are some in "lightly used" condition for around $125. If I'm going to spend that much for something that may not match the passenger side nor may not last much longer.....I'll spend a few extra bucks to get the famous Angel Eyes Upgrade. But in researching the Forum, I see photos of Fried Cables, burnt-out fuses and Yellowing Headlights !!!

I understand that we like M-tec products. I don't want to have to add ballast, I don't want something that will throw codes, and I don't want something that will run hot.

What's the best product out there that meets my needs ??