Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Samsung Galaxy S3 not working in aux input

I have tried everything to get my Galaxy to play music through the aux input located on the back of the arm rest on a 2007 x3, but it will not work. Any suggestions. Other devices work fine.
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2012, 09:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
If you plug some headphones into the galaxy can you hear music? And are you sure you set the radio to AUX??

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue | '07 E92 328xi - Space Gray)
Old 10-06-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
I suspect the galaxy is detecting open circuit. It needs some impedance to activate the audio.
The aux connection wiring is simple, but complex. It has from memory a 200kohm resistor across the head unit inputs to trigger the AUX function in the head unit. But to protect this "AUX trigger" resistance level the AUX socket audio signals are then capacitively coupled to the head unit. If this was not done, any device connected could reduce the 200kohm thus disabling the AUX function. This means that any device connected to AUX does not "see" the expected 100kohm impedance. This is quite ok for device that do not have intelligent output switching. The galaxy does have automatic switching hence a problem. You could fix by opening the socket and connecting a 100kohm resistor from each input to ground. Or maybe there is a hack available for the galaxy to override the automatic headphone detection.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3-current 2002 S500
well your first problem is that you have a galaxy s3 and not an iphone lol jk just having some fun!! hope you get it working i cant stand the radio!
Old 10-12-2012, 04:21 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Thanks for all the help!!

I have been doing some research and impedance looks like the issue. I did have an Iphone and I loved it . I just wanted to try something a little different. The only thing I didn't like was the small screen. Everything else I use is APPLE . Will keep you updated if I can get it fixed.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
Search the Google Play store for an app named SoundAbout.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: E46 318I Saloon
HI Guys

I am having this issue aswell where as im getting music but very low and very bad quality

Are there no way we could fix this issue?

Im in the same boat as others had iphone worked perfectly then got samsung and now can listen to music through the aux

Jokes aside there must be a way around this???
Old 12-14-2012, 07:18 AM

Mein Auto: E46 318I Saloon
I tried this and it didnt work ?

Have you had experience of this working ?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3 2.5
I have an S3 and have it working with a BlueTooth / FM transmitter... I've had the Galaxy S1,S2 and S3 and have had no problems.. http://www.jabra.com/products/speake...jabra_cruiser2
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 325Ci Coupe
Hey guys, sorry to bring up an old thread, but I'm an E46 owner (325 coupe) and am having trouble with my AUX input as well. Bought the BMW aux input kit, installed it, plugged up my Samsung Note 2, and nothing. Can't even pull up the AUX menu on the stereo.

Has anyone found a working fix for this?
Old 07-30-2013, 11:55 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Smartcircuit
Mein Auto: Tracker
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3cellent! View Post
I have tried everything to get my Galaxy to play music through the aux input located on the back of the arm rest on a 2007 x3, but it will not work. Any suggestions. Other devices work fine.
My daughter has the same phone Samsung galaxy S3 and the same issue with her AUX connection not working.
The phone needs to have low impedance connection in order for it to work correctly with your radio AUX input.
I made her a special cable with the correct impendence matching resistors built into it, it looks no different than a
1/8 inch (3.5mm) inch Female to Male extension cord. It is 2ft long connects into the existing cable.
She said it works great now. If you need one let me know.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzep23 View Post
well your first problem is that you have a galaxy s3 and not an iphone lol jk just having some fun!! hope you get it working i cant stand the radio!
yep.... Fu samsung!

your Tv's
my fridge..
my old phones

and there support sucks 2
Old 08-01-2013, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
In have a Galaxy S4 and had the same problem. Every now and then the headphone to aux connection doesn't work. I ended up putting in a MediaBridge and going bluetooth audio streaming instead.

BMWCCA Member
Old 08-02-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 2009 AT
Connection on the AUX port.

Same problem. It is a combination of playing the music app and plugging and unplugging the AUX port from the phone or from the car until it takes.

It does work from time to time.

I have tried various connectors and they all have the same problem. Old phone worked so I may use that just to play in the car.

Plug phone to car. Start music. Sometimes it takes and other times it ignores the cord and plays on its speakers. Unplug the cord from the phone and plug in again. App usually stops, start it up again. If that does not work do the same thing unplugging/plugging from the car.

It may be worth doing if you are going to play continuously for a long time. Probably not worth the bother for short trips. If the app stops playing and has to be restarted the AUX connection often dies.

Stone-age car electronics. Time for a better entertainment system?

I pop open the bin in the dash and put the phone in there. No, I would not pay for the stone-age BMW nav system since I get Google Maps on my phone with traffic, 3-D images, internet search, nav and whatever they can think of next.

The roof of the bin amplifies the tinny speakers on the phone which sits on a silicone backrest. Stone-age but it works well enough for words though not for music. I find it amazing that, with just occasional drop offs, I can play internet radio while driving and am not reduced to listening just to local stations.

Tried a bluetooth (Motorola maybe) system with auto detection when the phone came into the car. Thing is that it never let go of my phone even when it was out of the car and inside the house. Maybe the Jabra is better.

Last edited by PPXYZ; 08-02-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 08 e83 LCI
If the aux in dissapears when charging look for a ground loop isolator.

For dash mounts consider this. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=705421
Old 08-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Marginal at best!

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M-sport
I noticed the same problem with my s3. I happened to have a small Bluetooth speaker that has an out port I plug it into my aux jack & my phone sends the music to it. It works great & no wires to my phone! You can get them on ebay & amazon for around 20$.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by udmx3 View Post
I noticed the same problem with my s3. I happened to have a small Bluetooth speaker that has an out port I plug it into my aux jack & my phone sends the music to it. It works great & no wires to my phone! You can get them on ebay & amazon for around 20$.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo.../dp/B004CLYJ2I

http://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-1-3-5m.../dp/B004E8YRS0

Seems as if both may be required for a wireless setup. Would be nice to have the AUX jack in the dash instead of in the back seat.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 PM

The PAC 3.5MM ground loop isolator works. S3 => long 3.5mm cable to reach the back of the armrest => PAC GLI => AUX port. Plugged in, played music, recognized it in AUX mode on the radio.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
Updating the older post with more details ie what is happening

The AUX connection in the head unit is activated by a resistor as follows:

AUX left <-----+----
-----------------|
....................|
AUX right <----+----

The problem with this is that any device connected to the AUX input will load the input down and the 200k resistance "seen" by the head unit will change

Thus two blocking capacitors are used as such

AUX left +-----+----capacitor ------ galaxy
-----------------|
....................|
AUX right <----+----capacitor ------- galaxy

Now no matter what is connected to the AUX connection, the 200k resistance is still "seen" by the the head unit.

But the Galaxy expects to see the following to activate the audio output - the typical AUX load presented by any "normal" equipment the galaxy would connected to:

galaxy left output-------------+
----------------------------------|
----------------------------------|
galaxy ground output--------+
---------------------------------|
---------------------------------|
galaxy right output ----------+

So the Galaxy needs 100k between the left and right (red and white) to ground to sense a connection and switch audio to the port. A normal ear piece will do this.

The problem is that the AUX connection no longer provides the 100k ohm to ground due to the blocking capacitors.

Thus you need to add two 100k ohm resistors like following to the aux cable you use - the cable from the galaxy to the aux socket

galaxy white -------+-----------------------> to aux audio input
-----------------------|
---------------100k ohm resistor
-----------------------|
galaxy ground -----+-----------------------> to aux audio input
-----------------------|
-----------------100k ohm resistor
-----------------------|
galaxy red ----------+------------------------> to aux audio input

Hope this clarifies this

Edit: had to fix formatting - clunky but it works I hope

Last edited by x3oiler; 08-19-2013 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Drat - formatting did not work - will try to fix
Old 06-05-2014, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5
Ground loop isolator for aux input fix

I have the S5 and am having the same resistance issues. Not as tech advanced as you. Would a Bluetooth receiver plugged into the aux input circumvent the problem or do Imhave to use a ground loop isolator?
Old 06-06-2014, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
I have a Galaxy S4. Before that I had a BlackBerry. For both I used the aux cable plugged into the plug in the rear ash tray. I always kept the cable plugged in and just let the connector dangle near me by the console. I don't know whether this is the problem that everyone is referring to, but frequently I'd get no sound or connection when I plugged my device in.

The solution was simple once I figured it out. You have to plug the cable into the device first and then into the aux plug.

Since it's cumbersome to reach over and plug into the aux plug I purchased an extension cable (M-F) which I keep attached to the cable coming from the aux plug (M-M). So sequence: plug the cable into the device. Then break the connection at the extension. And then plug the extension back in. The device now works fine through the aux output.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 Auto
I have a Note 2 and have no issues whatsoever in playing music via the aux input (2008 X3).
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
Aux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophaholic View Post
I have a Note 2 and have no issues whatsoever in playing music via the aux input (2008 X3).
I have a 2008 X3 and been having the same problem. Iíve always thought it was my phone and didnít really use my phone for music, so I didnít bother with it. My aux connection has been repaired and replace and I got another Galaxy and same issue. So, I contacted Samsung yesterady and was told itís the car and referred me to this siteÖ.. so itís not only my car.