Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:20 PM
rmorin49's Avatar
rmorin49 rmorin49 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hagerstown, MD,
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,104
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Sell or Trade My 335d?

My retirement is looming on the horizon and thus I will likely downsize my stable and that means the 335d will probably not make the cut as it is my daily commuter and I will no longer be making a daily commute. What to do, trade it or sell it? Is there much demand for used 335d's? Mine is in perfect condition with almost exclusively highway miles. I searched on bmwusa and there appears to be a glut of used 335d's out there.
__________________

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:22 PM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 781
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Year? Mileage? Color, etc?
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:25 PM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is offline
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,999
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
Year? Mileage? Color, etc?
DUH, look up!
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Flyingman's Avatar
Flyingman Flyingman is offline
hang up and drive!
Location: Miami
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,999
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorin49 View Post
My retirement is looming on the horizon and thus I will likely downsize my stable and that means the 335d will probably not make the cut as it is my daily commuter and I will no longer be making a daily commute. What to do, trade it or sell it? Is there much demand for used 335d's? Mine is in perfect condition with almost exclusively highway miles. I searched on bmwusa and there appears to be a glut of used 335d's out there.
Lose the Z-4. Keep the D.
__________________

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-05-2012, 08:05 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,758
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Just wait for the next gas price spike and then sell.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2012, 12:22 AM
bimmerdiesel's Avatar
bimmerdiesel bimmerdiesel is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bedford MA
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 810
Mein Auto: 335d
+1 to dunderhi's post. And if you can then till more BMW diesels are launched.
I thought i should sell mine too since i lost my bachelorhood recently and am actively looking to get a place of my own but at same time diesels resale is not high as i expected. its as much as normal e90 and mine is paid off and only expense I have in future is gas and some maintenance.
__________________

335d Black Sapphire/Biege/Premium/Sport/Cold/Nav/CA/PDC/iPod

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:52 AM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 781
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
DUH, look up!
I only see model year listed in OPs profile. Anyone serious about selling a vehicle would list more details than "I took care of it well" and "exclusively highway miles".
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2012, 07:38 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerdiesel View Post
+1 to dunderhi's post. And if you can then till more BMW diesels are launched.
I thought i should sell mine too since i lost my bachelorhood recently and am actively looking to get a place of my own but at same time diesels resale is not high as i expected. its as much as normal e90 and mine is paid off and only expense I have in future is gas and some maintenance.
I'd thought if/when more diesels are launched it will actually hurt our already lower than expected resale values. I am probably jaded on this though because I have had my car for three years and for over two of those I have wanted to sell it. Initially I got in my head I should wait for the Eco credits on new ones to go away but it took the model car to go away for the credits to be gone. Then I started looking to trade in and discovered it just was worth a lot less than I thought it would be. So to this day it rests in my garage and is used only when we need a second car to drive.

To the OP though if you no longer will need a commuter car and that is the cars very purpose then I say sell it. It is only going to devalue with more time and if you have no need for it then why lose more and more money on it.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Axel61's Avatar
Axel61 Axel61 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Puerto Rico
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 903
Mein Auto: 335d
Sad to hear u plan yo sell yours,snipe. I for one plan to stay w mines,people are not used to hearing DIESEL on car anywhere in the USA and Puerto Rico and that alone detracts any future purchase

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App
__________________
RENNtech Flash, WAGNER IC,Koni FSDs,Execuhitch,VMR710 19"
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:19 AM
rmorin49's Avatar
rmorin49 rmorin49 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hagerstown, MD,
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,104
Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kidd View Post
I only see model year listed in OPs profile. Anyone serious about selling a vehicle would list more details than "I took care of it well" and "exclusively highway miles".
Here you are:

26,XXX miles (2nd scheduled service just performed)
Black Sapphire/Oyster Interior/Wood Trim
Premium Pkg
Cold Weather Pkg
Navigation
Satellite Radio
USB/ipod
Garaged/Waxed Monthly/Near Perfect Condition
__________________

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Savannah
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Better to sell a late model on your own. I once did it by putting a sign in it and letting it sit in an upscale parking area, but nowadays you apparently get crank calls and people just trying to drive it for fun.

Listing it in www.autobytel.com or www.cars.com usually works well.

The appeal of the d as a commuter car should sell it soon enough. Patience is a virtue. I wouldn't get low-balled on the price either.

As far as how many are available, one way to tell is e-Bay, and not many are listed, so its difficult to tell. Dealers may have people trading them in who don't like the harsher ride or just aren't "diesel people."

Just my $.02.

PL
__________________
Rose Castorini: I just want you to know no matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else.
Cosmo Castorini: Thank you, Rose. - Moonstruck
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:25 AM
cssnms cssnms is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Murland
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 715
Mein Auto: '11 335d
What am I missing,,, if you plan to downsize then it would seem to me that "trading it in" would be counterproductive to that effort, no? Perhaps you mean sell it to a dealer like CarMax?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Better to sell a late model on your own. I once did it by putting a sign in it and letting it sit in an upscale parking area, but nowadays you apparently get crank calls and people just trying to drive it for fun.

Listing it in www.autobytel.com or www.cars.com usually works well.

The appeal of the d as a commuter car should sell it soon enough. Patience is a virtue. I wouldn't get low-balled on the price either.

As far as how many are available, one way to tell is e-Bay, and not many are listed, so its difficult to tell. Dealers may have people trading them in who don't like the harsher ride or just aren't "diesel people."

Just my $.02.

PL
The dealer I bought my 335d from approached me this week to try and get me to trade it in. I ended the conversation before it could really progress into any sales tactics from them since I have zero interest in any existing BMW models here. I told them they are welcome to buy the car back though to which I got no reply. I think though they were approaching me simply because it was the three year marker and nothing at all to do with which BMW model they sold me.

I routinely look on cars.com and autotrader.com for models I am interest in and seems to give me a decent enough idea of what is available out there. Sometimes I hop over to eBay but seems to be less offerings of what I am looking for on there.

The 335d cars I randomly follow on autotrader.com do not seem to sell quickly at all and not for near what I'd thought they would go for. For some reason it lacks appeal, maybe because it lacked much marketing when new so is unknown to a lot of folks or maybe some other reason.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM
DC-IT DC-IT is online now
Love my Diesel Vehicles
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 502
Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
To to OP.
If you bought it and its paid for, you might want to drive it till it drops. IMO, no other vehicle comes close to the D in performance/FE/price.
When you retire, you only need to fill your tank maybe once a month as you drive less.
Also you may want to take more road trips so the D is still the perfect vehicle.

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I'm 63 this year but have no plans to retire from my business.
I paid for my D in full when I bought it in Nov 2009. This is the first vehicle I've driven for 3 years. All other vehicles lasted not more than 2. With the D I am still enjoying it as much as the day I got it and I can't think of another vehicle that can replace it for now unless BMW brings in the f10d or f30d touring.
But it's nice not to have any lease/loan payments and just enjoy the D.

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
__________________
DC-IT

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI

Last edited by DC-IT; 10-07-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Savannah
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 564
Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe656 View Post
The dealer I bought my 335d from approached me this week to try and get me to trade it in. I ended the conversation before it could really progress into any sales tactics from them since I have zero interest in any existing BMW models here. I told them they are welcome to buy the car back though to which I got no reply. I think though they were approaching me simply because it was the three year marker and nothing at all to do with which BMW model they sold me.

I routinely look on cars.com and autotrader.com for models I am interest in and seems to give me a decent enough idea of what is available out there. Sometimes I hop over to eBay but seems to be less offerings of what I am looking for on there.

The 335d cars I randomly follow on autotrader.com do not seem to sell quickly at all and not for near what I'd thought they would go for. For some reason it lacks appeal, maybe because it lacked much marketing when new so is unknown to a lot of folks or maybe some other reason.
Some other thoughts came to me:

1. If you were buying from a dealer, they often try to sell you on the tax advantage of not having to pay the entire sales tax on the next car, having paid on your current one. The difference in trade in price - what you pay for the new one after you trade yours in - would be what the sales tax would be, at least in some states apparently.

2. BMW's are not known for their super reliability and the 335d is not a known quantity. The used market may be sensitive to this.

3. There is still a recession going on in spite of what you hear from talking heads on cable, so the prices for expensive cars are a bit softer with some exceptions. Diesel customers may be more sensitive to pricing and the economy, I don't know.

My $.02

PL
__________________
Rose Castorini: I just want you to know no matter what you do, you're gonna die, just like everybody else.
Cosmo Castorini: Thank you, Rose. - Moonstruck
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
The sales tax difference here does not appear to equate to the private party sell difference. With exceptions of Porsche dealers I have had $21k trade in offered a few times but I think private party might net me $26k
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 PM
BMWTurboDzl BMWTurboDzl is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: SE United States
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,209
Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
$26k sounds about right pvt party in this economy. It would be 30 ish in 2007
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Stussy109's Avatar
Stussy109 Stussy109 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New jersey
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 172
Mein Auto: 2009 335D sport
i traded my 09 335d loaded in october 2011 for 29k as soon as i heard new body style was being released....I think prices have sunk due to new body style more than anything else, its now an older model. I do miss it.
__________________
Current Rides:
2011 X5D Loaded (Oil Burner)
2012 VW Passat SEL TDI (Oil sipper)
2008 Honda CBR 1000
2007 Harley Davidson Sportster XL 1200

Retired:
2010 Mercedes GL350 (in the shop too much)
2009 335D
2008 Audi A6 3.2 Quattro loaded
2005 BMW M3 Black compertition Pkg with Nav
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms