Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 AM
PittX52011 PittX52011 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
Why the ED cars not delivered to customers directly?

I wonder why the ED cars are not delivered directly to customers from VDC. Instead sent to PCD or dealer directly. It does make sense for non ED cars, but for ED cars all the paperwork is done, finances are taken care of and I doubt it should be a big cost factor as well. I think it just increases the wait time for customer. Any thoughts?

Last edited by PittX52011; 10-06-2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: repeat word
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,000
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Since I don't live near the VDC it would be inconvenient to drive up to NJ to pick up my car. During my redelivery, the CA gave me some parts/accessories coupons, introduced me to my SA, asked me about the license plate install, and gave me a full tank of gas.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:02 PM
PittX52011 PittX52011 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
I ordered my car from an out of state dealer as my local dealer was charging me too much, that dealer is 700miles away, PCD is 400 miles away, so I think in my case one tank of free gas is not worth it. It would have been nice if I could get delivery at least in my town.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
I ordered my car from an out of state dealer as my local dealer was charging me too much, that dealer is 700miles away, PCD is 400 miles away, so I think in my case one tank of free gas is not worth it. It would have been nice if I could get delivery at least in my town.
Well that is the leverage point by which your local dealer makes money from others.

What you are asking for would be awesome, but the dealers would go nuts.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:24 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,000
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
I ordered my car from an out of state dealer as my local dealer was charging me too much, that dealer is 700miles away, PCD is 400 miles away, so I think in my case one tank of free gas is not worth it. It would have been nice if I could get delivery at least in my town.
How far is the nearest VDC that handles ED cars? There a BMW VDC in Baltimore, but my two Bimmers were processed through Newark.

Have you considered doing Courtesy Delivery to a local dealership? There's a fee, but if they know they will be your servicing dealership they might be willing to help you out.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM
PittX52011 PittX52011 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
I think that's a great idea. I'll check with them if they are willing. My car is released at NJ VDC
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:16 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,000
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
It might be too late if the car is already in the States. I would contact your selling dealer first.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:25 PM
Kamdog's Avatar
Kamdog Kamdog is offline
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,084
Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Any day you don't have to go to Newark, NJ is a good one.....
__________________

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,000
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
Any day you don't have to go to Newark, NJ is a good one.....
I couldn't agree more!
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:15 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,180
Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
I wonder why the ED cars are not delivered directly to customers from VDC. Instead sent to PCD or dealer directly. It does make sense for non ED cars, but for ED cars all the paperwork is done, finances are taken care of and I doubt it should be a big cost factor as well. I think it just increases the wait time for customer. Any thoughts?
Shipping charges are the same amount and paid in the car price regardless of ED. And the shipping charge is set from VPC to dealers only. So even if you live across the street from the VPC you will still pay the $875 to BMW for the contracted trucking company to take your car to the dealer stated in the paperwork.

The flip-side of all this is that in the ED paperwork there is an entry to state which dealership the car will be delivered to once returned to the USA and after VPC. And that entry technically can be changed by the customer to whatever dealer the customer wants, not necessarily to the selling dealer. That's what $875 buys: transportation to any BMW dealer.

Meaning that technically -again- you can buy your BMW at any nationwide dealer, do the ED and ship it to any other dealership for the same $875 paid already once it is stateside. It does not have to be delivered to the selling dealer. Some dealers will do it, most will not. Some dealers will charge you extra for this "Courtesy Delivery", notwithstanding that your ED car was already prepped in Munich and (if you want it) washed and waxed by the drop off company before getting in the ship. So this "Courtesy Delivery" charge would be nothing but giving you the keys of your car.

That's pretty much how shipping stateside really works for ED.

Last edited by Technic; 10-06-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:30 PM
PittX52011 PittX52011 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Shipping charges are the same amount and paid in the car price regardless of ED. And the shipping charge is set from VPC to dealers only. So even if you live across the street from the VPC you will still pay the $875 to BMW for the contracted trucking company to take your car to the dealer stated in the paperwork.

The flip-side of all this is that in the ED paperwork there is an entry to state which dealership the car will be delivered to once returned to the USA and after VPC. And that entry technically can be changed by the customer to whatever dealer the customer wants, not necessarily to the selling dealer. That's what $875 buys: transportation to any BMW dealer.

Meaning that technically -again- you can buy your BMW at any nationwide dealer, do the ED and ship it to any other dealership for the same $875 paid already once it is stateside. It does not have to be delivered to the selling dealer. Some dealers will do it, most will not. Some dealers will charge you extra for this "Courtesy Delivery", notwithstanding that your ED car was already prepped in Munich and (if you want it) washed and waxed by the drop off company before getting in the ship. So this "Courtesy Delivery" charge would be nothing but giving you the keys of your car.

That's pretty much how shipping stateside really works for ED.
Thanks a lot Technic for your input.
So my car was dropped off at NJ VDC on 09/26. Since then it has dropped off from the list of "track my BMW" when I login. It only shows under my financial account. I spoke with the selling dealer and he told me that it has yet to go through customs before it gets shipped to PCD (the reason it was closer than the selling dealer and I did not know before that it can be shipped to any dealer nationwide).
Can I still change its destination to my local dealer as it has not left VDC yet. The reason I did not buy from local dealership was that they were not willing to sell a dime under European MSRP, however their service department is excellent as I take my X5 there and have no complains at all.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Technic's Avatar
Technic Technic is offline
Test... 1, 2 ,3
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 5,180
Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
Thanks a lot Technic for your input.
So my car was dropped off at NJ VDC on 09/26. Since then it has dropped off from the list of "track my BMW" when I login. It only shows under my financial account. I spoke with the selling dealer and he told me that it has yet to go through customs before it gets shipped to PCD (the reason it was closer than the selling dealer and I did not know before that it can be shipped to any dealer nationwide).
Can I still change its destination to my local dealer as it has not left VDC yet. The reason I did not buy from local dealership was that they were not willing to sell a dime under European MSRP, however their service department is excellent as I take my X5 there and have no complains at all.
No, the delivery dealer must be established at paperwork time. And if you think about it, the VPC is already the delivery dealer as your paperwork stated.

I was exactly in your shoes last year... my local dealer did not budge in price so I went shopping out of state and found one at $XXX over ED invoice. And by doing that I learned about this ED delivery paperwork. And ended up using it to deliver my car to my local dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Quote:
Originally Posted by PittX52011 View Post
I wonder why the ED cars are not delivered directly to customers from VDC. Instead sent to PCD or dealer directly. It does make sense for non ED cars, but for ED cars all the paperwork is done, finances are taken care of and I doubt it should be a big cost factor as well. I think it just increases the wait time for customer. Any thoughts?
It would be a huge cost factor! The dealers get several cars from VDC shipments and they make stops along the way at other dealers. They aren't going to just flatbed your car to your house.. that would be a logistical nightmare for BMWNA, we're lucky if the car even gets to the dealer on time!
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-07-2012, 08:35 AM
FastMarkA FastMarkA is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,589
Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
Two other reasons:

1) There are sometimes last minute paperwork items (i.e. plates) that need to be handled at re-delivery

2) Dealers don't just want to sell you a car. They want to show you their lounge with bad free coffee, and get a chance to tell you to score all "10s" on their survey.

The argument about not going to Newark, however, would be the most convincing although BMW isn't that customer friendly to consider others' well-being.
__________________

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
alewifebp's Avatar
alewifebp alewifebp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 962
Mein Auto: 2014 550i
The VDC is actually in Jersey City. After having toured the VDC, they don't have the staff or facilities to do a proper delivery. Additionally, the quality of the roads leaving the VDC leave A LOT to be desired. Potholes, railroad crossings and uneven pavement are the norm.
__________________
ED on 7/18/2014: 2014 550i, Space Gray, Mocha. M Sport, Cold Weather, DAP, Executive, Lighting
PCD on 9/6/2011: 2011 550i, DSB, black/oyster. Prem 2, Conv, Ventilated, HUD, Sport, DHP, SAT
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 PM
Kar Don Kar Don is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cricket City
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 1,686
Mein Auto: E70 & F04
actually it's Bayonne, NJ.
__________________
2008 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 Iridium Silver/Black Leather -- P2/321/881 (leasetraded 1/10)
2002 BMW 325i --Topaz Blue/Natural Brown Leather --SP/PP/HK/CWP/Bi-xenon (Sold 9/06)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-08-2012, 08:49 AM
Stavrs Stavrs is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: TN, US
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 176
Mein Auto: 2015 M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
No, the delivery dealer must be established at paperwork time. And if you think about it, the VPC is already the delivery dealer as your paperwork stated.

I was exactly in your shoes last year... my local dealer did not budge in price so I went shopping out of state and found one at $XXX over ED invoice. And by doing that I learned about this ED delivery paperwork. And ended up using it to deliver my car to my local dealer.
I did the exact same thing a few weeks ago but with MB. I bought out of state (West coast) and in the paperwork we noted East coast delivery to my local dealer. I didn't pay anything extra (even though the MB ED program absorbs the transportation fee). When the car arrived I just went to the local dealer and picked it up. Of course the local dealer has to be willing to do this and the out of state dealer has to call them to make sure they are okay with it.
__________________
2015 M4 - Mineral Grey/Full Silverstone/Carbon trim, Executive & Lighting Packages, 19" Black wheels, Adaptive Suspension, DCT, HK sound and more...

Other: 2014 Lexus GS350 F Sport, 2014 528i
Past: 2013 MB CLS550, 2011 E92 335ix, 2012 F10 550i, 2009 E92 M3, 2008 E92 M3...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 AM
PittX52011 PittX52011 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southeast
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 211
Mein Auto: 2011 X5, 2013 550 xi
I think it's a great idea. However it seems too late to make any changes this time, but will keep in mind for next time. Thanks for input guys.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM
alewifebp's Avatar
alewifebp alewifebp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 962
Mein Auto: 2014 550i
For anyone curious where the VDC is, click here.
__________________
ED on 7/18/2014: 2014 550i, Space Gray, Mocha. M Sport, Cold Weather, DAP, Executive, Lighting
PCD on 9/6/2011: 2011 550i, DSB, black/oyster. Prem 2, Conv, Ventilated, HUD, Sport, DHP, SAT
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is offline
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,000
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Here's what it looks like on the inside: The Diesel Driver: Inside BMWs Vehicle Distribution Center
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms