Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-05-2012, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535Xdrive
Wheels: 18s or 19s for 2012/2013 535xi

Do you think stock 18 inch wheels are good looking enough for a 2012 or 2013 535xi.

I don't and that's why I am almost walking away from a good deal (8500 off msrp) on a well equipped 2012. The only thing it doesn't have is sports package or 19 inch wheels.

What do you guys think? Do it or order one with bigger wheels?
Ads by Google
Old 10-06-2012, 02:09 AM

Mein Auto: F10 535xd
Why don't you go for it, buy 19 inch wheels separately and keep the 18 inch for the winter kit ? I had the same questions when I purchased mine, changed the order from 18 to 19 in the last moment and now ordering the winter set-up on 18s. Definitely the 19s look much better
Old 10-06-2012, 09:57 AM

I like your idea, I thought about it too but then it would be pain to change wheels now and then, worth mentioning the need of wheel alignment each time (recommended).

Thanks for the tip.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i / Stage 2
When I was shopping for a new 5 at the end of July I faced a similar dilemma. I was going to order a 2013 535i but the end of the model year deals on the 2012's 5's were just too enticing to pass up.

The dealer that I was working with had a 550i on the lot that I fell in love with and was offering a deal that seemed almost to good to be true. The final price was about what I was going to have to spend on a 2013 535i once I got it equipped the way I wanted. The only problem was I really didn't like the wheels that came with the sport package 550i. In fact, of all the wheels BMW has offered through the years these would have to be near the bottom of my list.

So decided on the spot that the deal was to good to pass up and I would just replace the stock wheels with aftermarket wheels where you have a basically unlimited choice of styles and sizes especially since none of the wheels offered on any the 5's really do much for me. The ones I liked best were the 2012 19" 535i sport wheels but they don't offer them in 2013.

I ended purchasing the car and ordered some aftermarket wheels within a week of picking it up. They just arrived this past Monday and I had them installed the same day. I have to say I'm beyond thrilled with the new look. 1000% improvement in the look of the car and they about 10 pounds lighter per wheel. The thing that really surprised me is how many co-workers came up and gave me unsolicited complements on how nice they look on the car.

Looking back, I have absolutely no regrets going this route and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:52 AM

I am actually leaning towards getting one with sports package.....it also included the multi-contour seats which everybody just raves about. The one I am getting has style 331 style wheels.....I like them.

Pulling the plug Monday morning.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:38 AM
Verified Trusted User

Mein Auto: 2012 535i, Space Grey
I got the stock 18" wheels with my 535i, sold them to a east coast guy here on the forums for $1000 bucks.
Bought the 19" rims and tires for $1900 with 200 miles on them from a forum member.
Total cost to go from boring stock 18" to 19" ----- $900 bucks. IMO that is the best way to go !!
2012 535i, April build, Space Grey, Oyster Interior, 19" M sport rims/tires, premium pkg, premium sound, side/top cameras, heated seats, comfort access, ceramic controls, OEM spoiler, painted front reflectors, 35% tint, rear Fog lights, coded to my liking.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: F10 535xd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav13 View Post
I like your idea, I thought about it too but then it would be pain to change wheels now and then, worth mentioning the need of wheel alignment each time (recommended).

Thanks for the tip.
19s would be too big for winter set-up in my view. They look nicer but your ride will be too harsh on icy/frozen roads. If you live in Seattle you would probably want to have winter tires. If you want to change only tires on the same alloys, then go for the practical solution and choose the 18s
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eleven View Post
When I was shopping for a new 5 at the end of July I faced a similar dilemma. I was going to order a 2013 535i but the end of the model year deals on the 2012's 5's were just too enticing to pass up.

The dealer that I was working with had a 550i on the lot that I fell in love with and was offering a deal that seemed almost to good to be true. The final price was about what I was going to have to spend on a 2013 535i once I got it equipped the way I wanted. The only problem was I really didn't like the wheels that came with the sport package 550i. In fact, of all the wheels BMW has offered through the years these would have to be near the bottom of my list.

So decided on the spot that the deal was to good to pass up and I would just replace the stock wheels with aftermarket wheels where you have a basically unlimited choice of styles and sizes especially since none of the wheels offered on any the 5's really do much for me. The ones I liked best were the 2012 19" 535i sport wheels but they don't offer them in 2013.

I ended purchasing the car and ordered some aftermarket wheels within a week of picking it up. They just arrived this past Monday and I had them installed the same day. I have to say I'm beyond thrilled with the new look. 1000% improvement in the look of the car and they about 10 pounds lighter per wheel. The thing that really surprised me is how many co-workers came up and gave me unsolicited complements on how nice they look on the car.

Looking back, I have absolutely no regrets going this route and would do it again in a heartbeat.
So, what aftermarket wheels did you buy?