Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Never been blinded by another car's lights. 20/20 vision and been driving for 28 years. .
Come on now, "never been blinded".what planet are you living on?
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i M
Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
cheers
vern
I would ask the same question. Every time a drive at night in Florida (I'm at least once a year there for vacation) I get the bright lights of some trucks into my Eyes because the outside mirrors in most rental cars do not dim.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I have never had a problem with my auto dimming rear view mirror, if you have tinted rear window, it does get too dark at night. The self dimming side view mirror I can do without. I have never been blinded by a headlight in the side view mirror. There are times I need the side mirrors to see other objects at night that are not not lit. The BMW is the only car I have ever owned that I cannot shut off the auto dimming function. In fact, there are quite a few function that BMW does not allow user control. In typical BMW fashion, they think they know whats best for the customer.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
There are times I need the side mirrors to see other objects at night that are not not lit.
Please explain. Maybe I'm the one living on the other planet.
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
It looks like you can code the feature off in the F10 so it would make sense you can also code it off in the F30. Seems like a better solution then tape for those that want it permanently off.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

Tim
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Please explain. Maybe I'm the one living on the other planet.
cheers
vern
For example, when I back up at night, I use the side view mirrors to see whats behind me.

Last edited by The X Men; 10-05-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:45 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
It looks like you can code the feature off in the F10 so it would make sense you can also code it off in the F30. Seems like a better solution then tape for those that want it permanently off.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...hlight=mirrors

Tim
I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow for a broken trim piece so I'll ask if they can that at the same time...
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
For example, when I back up at night, I use the side view mirrors to see whats behind me.
I guess I'm on that planet.The only time my mirrors dim is when a light comes in contact with the sensor.
cheers
vern
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Quote:
I'm taking my car to the dealer tomorrow for a broken trim piece so I'll ask if they can that at the same time...
Let us know what they say. I'm guessing they won't do it for you.

Tim
Old 10-05-2012, 11:52 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
cheers
vern
Not sure why you're so anxious about this but, no having lived in rural areas, the burbs and cities, I've never been in a situation where another car's lights bothered me. I have driven plenty of cars with dimmed mirrors and that has always annoyed me as I look for fine details on cars to discern friend from foe (cops) from a great distance. My dad kinda taught me to tell cars apart by headlights at night... dimmed mirrors it's much more difficult as the image is distorted.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Not sure why you're so anxious about this but, no having lived in rural areas, the burbs and cities, I've never been in a situation where another car's lights bothered me. I have driven plenty of cars with dimmed mirrors and that has always annoyed me as I look for fine details on cars to discern friend from foe (cops) from a great distance. My dad kinda taught me to tell cars apart by headlights at night... dimmed mirrors it's much more difficult as the image is distorted.
I would honestly say that you are in the minority on this one. I've been driving for a long time, in rural areas, the burbs and cities, and yes, if a truck pulls up behind me and the lights shine directly into my eyes by way of the mirrors it is a bit of a problem and, in my opinion, more of a safety risk than the mirror becoming overly dark.

I've never driven a car without auto dimming mirrors in which I did not on occasion have to manually dim or turn the mirrors to avoid being blinded.

For full disclosure I am blond haired and blue eyed, so maybe my eyes are slightly more light sensitive than other people... but I kind of doubt it.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 10-05-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Not sure why you're so anxious about this but, no having lived in rural areas, the burbs and cities, I've never been in a situation where another car's lights bothered me. I have driven plenty of cars with dimmed mirrors and that has always annoyed me as I look for fine details on cars to discern friend from foe (cops) from a great distance. .
If that is your reason I feel very sorry for you ,your IMO a sad state of mind.
cheers
vern
Old 10-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
I would honestly say that you are in the minority on this one. I've been driving for a long time, in rural areas, the burbs and cities, and yes, if a truck pulls up behind me and the lights shine directly into my eyes by way of the mirrors it is a bit of a problem and, in my opinion, more of a safety risk than the mirror becoming overly dark.
+ 1 Safety safety safety.
cheers
vern
Old 10-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
If that is your reason I feel very sorry for you ,your IMO a sad state of mind.
cheers
vern
Dude, what's with the weird ad hominem? Sad state of mind? You make it sound like I just wrote that I prefer my boiled lion cub dipped in a hot mustard v a mirin sauce.

My wife has blue eyes and tells me the sun/lights bothers her. I don't doubt her. I don't doubt you see value in the device, so why make go pejorative because I do not to agree with your take on mirrors? If you go for sad state of mind on this, what happens with a real issue?

Maybe weird choice of wording on your part?
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Not eveyone is built the same way which is why, for example, there are some people who love the sport seats and some who find them uncomfortable. If someone says "Every time I ride in my car with sport seats my back hurts" a response of "I have been driving for 35 years and I have the sport seats and my back felt great after a non-stop drive from Washington to Dallas" adds little to the dialog.

The same holds true for eyesight and many other areas of our physical makeup. That fact that bright lights or dim mirrors bother (or don't bother) someone has no bearing on the way the same thing will effect someone else. The autodimming mirrors are a valuable feature for some and an annoyance to others and to still more they are valuable some of the time and annoying some of the time. BMW should have provided a mechanism so that the driver can decide when the mirrors should autodim and when they should not.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-05-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:33 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
Not eveyone is built the same way which is why there are some people who love the sport seats and some who find them uncomfortable. The same holds true for eyesight and many other areas of our physical makeup. That fact that bright lights or dim mirrors bother (or don't bother) someone has no bearing on the way the same thing will effect someone else.

The autodimming mirrors are a valuable feature for some and an annoyance to others and to still more they are valuable some of the time and annoying some of the time. BMW should have provided a mechanism so that the driver can decide when the mirrors should autodim and when they should not.

CA
Amen. Basically, make everything defeatable...
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Amen. Basically, make everything defeatable...
I'd rather not have the airbags, anti-lock brakes or power steering defeatable but yes, I agree that comfort features like dimming mirrors should be user selectable.

Hopefully BMW can do a code update on your car that permanently disables them.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Dude, what's with the weird ad hominem? Sad state of mind? You make it sound like I just wrote that I prefer my boiled lion cub dipped in a hot mustard v a mirin sauce.

My wife has blue eyes and tells me the sun/lights bothers her. I don't doubt her. I don't doubt you see value in the device, so why make go pejorative because I do not to agree with your take on mirrors? If you go for sad state of mind on this, what happens with a real issue?

Maybe weird choice of wording on your part?
"Dude" thats not weird,read post #35,"discern friends from foe( cops)" now thats weird,Dude.
chees
vern
Old 10-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
"Dude" thats not weird,read post #35,"discern friends from foe( cops)" now thats weird,Dude.
chees
vern
While I do not speed excessively (always within about 7 mph of the speed limit on the freeway -which is slow for San Diego), I do keep my eyes open for the cops. My car is red for god's sake!

Sorry, don't like anyone sneaking up on me... Guess that's odd to you? You peg it at the speed limit and never get black and white fever?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
While . Guess that's odd to you? You peg it at the speed limit and never get black and white fever?
All the time. Thats why I have mirrors, Speed limit Info. Speed warning set and radar detector and any thing else that I can find to put in my car. I never buy RED cars thats a magnet for cops and in a poll compiled in the UK it attracts birds to poop on your car. LOL
cheers
vern
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I can think of absolutely no reason why BMW did not provide a defeat switch for the auto dimming feature.
The only rational reason is to save cost. BMW does not include a number of features one would expect, especially in a more expensive vehicle.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
The only rational reason is to save cost. BMW does not include a number of features one would expect, especially in a more expensive vehicle.
My wife's minivan has an auto-dimming mirror 'off' switch, and on occasion she'll reach up to adjust the mirror to her liking and accidentally hit that switch without realizing it and it causes blinding glare at night.

An on/off switch in a rearview mirror costs around $0.75 cents, so I'm guessing it's either safety related or the more obvious answer: The technology is so good that there isn't a need to defeat it.

Unlike rain-sensing windshield wipers or DTC where there are specific situations that turning it off is required, there really isn't such a situation with the rear view mirror.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
My wife's minivan has an auto-dimming mirror 'off' switch, and on occasion she'll reach up to adjust the mirror to her liking and accidentally hit that switch without realizing it and it causes blinding glare at night.

An on/off switch in a rearview mirror costs around $0.75 cents, so I'm guessing it's either safety related or the more obvious answer: The technology is so good that there isn't a need to defeat it.

Unlike rain-sensing windshield wipers or DTC where there are specific situations that turning it off is required, there really isn't such a situation with the rear view mirror.

BJ
The technology is not so good that there is no need to defeat it. To some people, myself included, the technology is annoying at times and there are times that I want to override it.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-06-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

BJ
+1 Was waiting and waiting for you to chime in. Keep em coming
cheers
vern
Old 10-06-2012, 01:03 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
+1 Was waiting and waiting for you to chime in. Keep em coming
cheers
vern
Not trying to be a jerk, and I've got no dog in this fight, but I think there are a few things on modern cars that have solved old mechanical necessities and eventually they get to the point where no dual-functionality is needed. Power windows work. No need to put handcranks in there as a backup anymore.

Certainly there will be people with compromised eyesight to whom a darker mirror reduces visibility. BMW offers the standard manual day/night mirror, no? It's what I had on my E90.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House