Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:23 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Not trying to be a jerk, and I've got no dog in this fight, but I think there are a few things on modern cars that have solved old mechanical necessities and eventually they get to the point where no dual-functionality is needed. Power windows work. No need to put handcranks in there as a backup anymore.

Certainly there will be people with compromised eyesight to whom a darker mirror reduces visibility. BMW offers the standard manual day/night mirror, no? It's what I had on my E90.

BJ
Power windows are not really analogous to the autodimming mirrors. Power windows are controlled by the driver (and passengers). The car does not automatically raise and lower the windows based on conditions and if it did a manual override would be necessary.

A better analogy would be automatic on/off headlights or autodimming mirrors. Most of the time these are set it and forget it systems but there are times where you need to override the system because what the car did was not approriate to the situation.

The same holds true of the autodimming mirrors. The majority of the time the system works perfectly but there are situations where the mirrors are dimmed and I don't want them to be and I want the ability to override the system. Some drivers would perhaps never use an override feature and some would keep the system permanently disabled but I want the ability to determine when I want the mirrors to dim automatically.

I have never heard of a car with power windows that had handcranks as a backup system.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 10-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
...Power windows are controlled by the driver (and passengers). The car does not automatically raise and lower the windows based on conditions...

2014 328i / Liquid Blue / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 6 MT / Moonroof / Rear Camera + PDC / Xenons / DHP / 12K+ Miles / Bought 10-16-2013
2003 325i / Gray Green / Beige Leatherette / 4 DR / 5 MT / Moonroof / 219K+ Miles / Bought 12-21-2002 / Sold 10-21-2013
1998 Civic EX / Vogue Silver / Gray / 4 DR / 5 MT / 122K+ Miles / Bought 12-30-1997 / Totaled 08-2002
1988 Sentra / Gray / Gray / 2 DR / 4 MT / 190K+ Miles / Bought 06-1994 @ 120K+ Miles / Died 12-1997
Old 10-06-2012, 06:27 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
I'm guessing it's either safety related or the more obvious answer: The technology is so good that there isn't a need to defeat it.
"So good" like A.S.S.?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
"So good" like A.S.S.?
True, but it sort of supports my theory that if BMW believes very strongly that they've solved a problem, they move on. If they believe they've got something that needs a little field-experience and/or it's a big safety concern, they give an easy out.

Another way to view it: If ASS wasn't defeatable, people wouldn't buy the car. The rearview mirror works automatically and doesn't need to be defeated because it's not a dealbreaker to a sale.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
True, but it sort of supports my theory that if BMW believes very strongly that they've solved a problem, they move on. If they believe they've got something that needs a little field-experience and/or it's a big safety concern, they give an easy out.

Another way to view it: If ASS wasn't defeatable, people wouldn't buy the car. The rearview mirror works automatically and doesn't need to be defeated because it's not a dealbreaker to a sale.

BJ
Looks like you got a "dog in the fight". LOL Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-07-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
If ASS wasn't defeatable, people wouldn't buy the car. The rearview mirror works automatically and doesn't need to be defeated because it's not a dealbreaker to a sale.
I understand your thinking, but I doubt BMW has or would lose sales whether or not either feature can be defeated. There is some hyperbolic speech here as to such issues, but this is unlikely to result in action in the real world.

It continues to surprise me that BMW (and its apologists) claims to be in the forefront of technology, yet fails to offer features that other manufacturers have already had - and then does not implement them as well. A.S.S. is a great example. The failure to include a dimming mirror off switch is another. (The feature works well, but the lack of a switch fails to allow for driver preference - one of the reasons for buying a luxury car.)