Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesmclean View Post
Not sure what you mean by exhaust sticking out. It seems pretty normal to me. And trust me, the sound is AWESOME! I only have 900 miles on mine but so far it's been a pretty sweet 900 miles. Just so much fun to drive. Go ahead, treat yourself to some fun.
The BMW PE definitely protrudes out more than the garden variety 135 due to the fact it was designed to be pared with the BMW Performance Diffuser.

Oner owners have been wringing their hands over this ever since the PE was released.

Personally, I don't see the big deal over this.

I prefer to be incensed and decry the loss of the stock black chrome tips look than the length.

One of the other cons with the PE was a discernible drone at certains rpm bands. Have you detected any such behavior on your is?

And, oh by way congrats! It's still a handsome looking vehicle despite my nitpicks.

Last edited by IndyMike; 09-24-2012 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:40 AM
Buddy

Mein Auto: 135is, 328xi, Triumph TR6
135is exhaust

Like you, I see no big deal with the amount of extension on the exhaust. I never compared it with "garden variety" 1's and my only other point of reference is my wife's 328xi. As for a discernible drone at certain rpms, of course the exhaust note changes over the range of rpm (I've been careful not to exceed 4500 until I have 1200 miles on the engine - trying to behave myself) but no particular "droning" noise. Honestly, the exhaust sound was one of the unexpected pleasant surprises for me when I drove this car. [Maybe at 57 years, I'm just getting old.] I love to slowly accelerate through each gear listening to that exhaust.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Elected by grace

Mein Auto: 1 M; '11 328iT; 08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesmclean View Post
Like you, I see no big deal with the amount of extension on the exhaust. I never compared it with "garden variety" 1's and my only other point of reference is my wife's 328xi. As for a discernible drone at certain rpms, of course the exhaust note changes over the range of rpm (I've been careful not to exceed 4500 until I have 1200 miles on the engine - trying to behave myself) but no particular "droning" noise. Honestly, the exhaust sound was one of the unexpected pleasant surprises for me when I drove this car. [Maybe at 57 years, I'm just getting old.] I love to slowly accelerate through each gear listening to that exhaust.
The stock exhaust on the N54 1 series M Coupe has a very discernible drone at about 2200 - 2500 rpm when you are cruising between that range under load. The easy fix is to stab the throttle or grab for another gear to escape that rut.

In earlier N55 equipped cars with the PE it seems to appear when the car is easy cruising between 1800 and 2300 rpm with the engine slightly lugging within this rpm level.

Of course, you also have the Performance Kit so maybe the engineers tweaked the combo to dial out or reduce any resonance from the exhaust.

Regardless, another trivial annoyance easily lived with if it ever does become noticable.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:48 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
bumped, duplicated post.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:49 PM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
I am always amused the shipping and handling cost is a separate line item. I want to see line items for lights, buildings, entertaining, coffee breaks, etc. You get the point. I agree, this post is not about the 135is.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Strategic Parker

Mein Auto: '05 MCS : '05 ZHP
Yes, tailpipe length aside, the sound is absolutely intoxicating. It was surprisingly loud when they first started it up, but it's got great sound all around. I'm new to the 1 scene and read somewhere that the N55 will sound a little deeper with the PE than the N54 due to different midpipes.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 135is
I just mentioned the exhaust note in another post, we picked up my Wife's 135is up today and it is LOUD!!! It resonates through the Cabin, Fantastic!!

The loud exhaust and stiff ride really adds to the character of the Car. I'd never driven the Car before we drove it off the Dealer's Lot and was actually shocked, but pleasantly surprized at how loud it is.

It's a very, very quick little Car too...