Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 10-04-2012, 03:00 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Dealer sells car for wrong price. Has buyer arrested

Could this be the worst dealer experience ever?

A Chevy dealer mistakenly sold a customer a car for $5,600 less than they wanted to. When the purchaser refused to sign a new contract for a higher price, the dealer told the police he'd stolen the car.

Posted on Autoblog:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/02/c...-after-having/

Quote:

A Virginia man spent four hours in jail after purchasing a Chevrolet Traverse from Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake, VA. The dealer's sales staff accidentally sold the SUV to Danny Sawyer for $5,600 less than they should have, and when Sawyer refused to sign a new, more expensive contract for the correct amount, the dealership called the local police alleging the buyer had stolen the vehicle.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Ads by Google
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Hope he wins!
Old 10-04-2012, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: IS350
Wait....so basically he already signed the contract for $5,600 less than original price. Now they want him to sign a new contract ? If it's so, they should go after the sales person. Wish him wins
Old 10-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Wow! I hope he wins. Dealerships and stupid choices like this are what give car dealers in general a bad name. If I was a car dealer and worked hard to build up a reputation I would be so frustrated at places like this that tear down the entire car industry.

Tim
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
I agree with the story, that $5,600 seems like a great discount for the dealership right now. Buncha dumbasses.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 Chevy Corvette z06
very similar what happend to me recently at a bmw dealership in NJ . We signed all the paperwork. they accepted my trade. then realized the salesman ****ed up the numbers and refused to give me my money, or honor the contract that states its legally binding right on top.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328Ci; A4 1.8T
If the customer had mistakenly paid $5,600 too much would they have allowed him to void the contract? Somehow I don't think so.

I wonder if local laws would permit him to go after the dealer for false imprisonment.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post

I wonder if local laws would permit him to go after the dealer for false imprisonment.
Perhaps not. The civil case and the publicity are probably his best option.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.