Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi m sport
tire rotation

had my car in for service yesterday.
its one year old. 5,000 miles.

they had to do a minor repair on the driver seat.
i requested an oil change and tire rotation.
i also asked to reprogram the stop start button to go to last setting on startup.

came away 2 out of 4.
oil change,reprogram,no problem.

tire rotation,advised they dont do them.
reason given. it causes more problems then it solves. dont know exactly what that means.
i called good year. they said rotate them. tommorow il call the service manager and get more info on why bmw wont rotate them. if they still refuse,and dont provide an explanation that makes any sense,il just get it done on the outside.

is tire rotation or lack of it a bmw policy or a dealership policy?

the seat repair another disappointment.
from delivery i had a horizontal crease in the leather of the bolster panel.
service manager inspected it claimed it wasnt the leather that was creased it was the foam underneath the covering that was causing the crease. he ordered the new foam. it came in he installed it. i picked up the car the crease is still in the leather. the right thing would have been to order and replace the foam and the covering. they chose not to,now the panel with the visible crease looks the same as it did before the repair. i have new foam that i cant see and an old crease in the leather that i can.

one other point worth mentioning.
i was given a 528 loaner .
getting in and out the wheel would go up for easier exit from the car,and would lower back into position when starting up the car.i blieve it called its called the easy entry exit feature. i never even knew i had it.i was aware i had a power adjustable wheel,but it seems the position i keep my wheel set at does not engage the feature.
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
I beleive BMW doesnt recommand tire rotation because of the negative camber of the wheel alignment.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 AM

Mein Auto: 535I 2012
How many of you rotate your run flat tires?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35D /2011 M37X
The only reason BMW does not recommend rotation is that due to " free " maintenance
schedules every 15k would mean an additional service at 7500 k, I waited until 16k to rotate my tires due to slight tire cupping on the front tires, I feel no adverse effects from this at all and plan to rotate every 7500k when these current tires are replaced. Also another profit item for dealerships ( tires ) .
Old 10-04-2012, 08:54 AM

the question that needs to be asked is how does an auto makers recommendation trump that of the tire maker?
bmw says dont rotate them....good year says rotate them.

if you dont rotate tires you can void the tire warranty.
this particular tire,good year ls2 ,does not have a mileage warranty,but it does have a pro rated roadside hazard warranty.it is covered in full for the first year.
by not rotating them you will affect the value of the claim on the tires with more wear.
if bmw installs any tires from the factory that do come with a mileage warranty,then they will be affected even more.

my feeling is manufacturers should stick to what they know. bmw makes cars. good year makes tires.
good year would not tell bmw how to service their cars. why would bmw tell good year how to service their tires?

has the hidden built in cost per car ever been revealed for the maintenance?
what about the average cost actually spent for maintenance per car?
Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
@joel, so what are the tire warranty/insurance that comes with the vehicle?

also curious about the steering wheel raise. i though BMW's dint have it, only lexus did.

when i asked my CA abt this lexus feature, guess what he replied?

"BMW is more focused on whats inside the car than these things"
Old 10-04-2012, 09:50 AM

the ls2 is covered for roadside hazards by good year in full for the first year.
after that its pro rated based on wear for up to 6 years.

heres where it gets a bit more interesting.
that coverage only affects tires purchased before sepember 1,2012.
after that date only tires that have a manufacturing defect will be covered.

it seems good year got tired or making good on the claims.
so rather then doing the right thing for them and their customers, either improve on the tire or just discontinue it,
they did whats best for good year,and simply eliminated the warranty.

the next question. is bmw still continuing to install these problematic tires at their factory?
if so,they will benefit from increased profits for tire insurance offered by bmw,and accompanied by a continually escalating price for the coverage.
in the event it ends up they paying out more then they are taking in,they will eithe continue to raise the insurance or just follow good years lead,and discontinue it.

so good year is no longer responsible....they win.
bmw will benefit from increased tire insurance ....they also win
bmw drivers will now pay,and pay more for what up until just last month was no cost.... they lose.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 AM

ralph i attempted to answer your message.
it came back,it didnt go through.
i think i have to reply from the forum.
instead il just post here.

i assume it means delivery date.
either purchased the tires,or recieved delivery of a new car with them on it before 9-1-12.

the steering wheel feature i had all along. never even knew it.
if the wheel is set in a certain position like mine is,it will not automatically move.
it has to be set where it might be difficult for you to exit.

play around with it in differant positions.you will see.

joey

you might find more info here. or you call call them.

http://www.goodyear.com/en-US/services/tire-warranty/
Old 10-04-2012, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
bmw has said tire rotation saves such little tire wear that it is not worth the effort
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
BMWs do have the moving steering wheel feature. It does depend on where you set the wheel during normal driving. I set it by moving the wheel manually to the uppermost position after shutting the car off. After a few attempts it started to do it on its own, although I do notice it doesn't do it every time. My E60 seemed to work better all the time.
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-04-2012, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i
To get the steering wheel to tilt up before exiting, the start/stop button has to be pressed again after shutdown. So after setting transmission in park, press start/stop button to shut off engine, the dash is still illuminated, then press again with your foot off the brake pedal and the electronics will shut down and the steering wheel will tilt up to its maximum position for easier exit.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535 i- F10
I just replaced my gy rf on my 2011 535i with a set of michelin MXV4s. I rotated my goodyears 4 times and they served me well with a mileage of over 37,000. I found no problem at all in rotating the tirest. the michelin seemed excellent. I am very happy with them so far.