Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-12-2006, 08:39 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Question X3 Coolant and Wiper Fluid

What are the brand names of the Coolant and Wiper Fluid that everyone uses for their X3?

Thanks everyone!
Ads by Google
Old 11-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 x3
coolant i use only bmw, windshield fluid anyone that dosnt contain rainx
Old 11-13-2006, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3, 1991 300zx
I've come to like the yellow Prestone De-Icer Windshiled Washer Fluid for the winter months. Their calims about peventing icing and re-freezing of the fluid are true. For the summer month, I just use a generic brand.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:46 PM
jb & ab

Mein Auto: X3 jb F250/5th wheel ab
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
I've come to like the yellow Prestone De-Icer Windshiled Washer Fluid for the winter months. Their calims about peventing icing and re-freezing of the fluid are true. For the summer month, I just use a generic brand.
De-Icer Windshiled Washer Fluid what's that

ab
Old 11-13-2006, 07:30 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerfan View Post
What are the brand names of the Coolant and Wiper Fluid that everyone uses for their X3?
Thanks everyone!

Ain't nothing like the real thing baby (Marvin Gaye)............

The original BMW factory wiper fluid. Actually have had the car 18 months and only had to fill up the wiper fluid once.

Can't beat the smell and AAA content of the factory stuff

Hard to get - but my dealer gets in a few cases now and then, for customers who want the factory stuff.
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired

Last edited by JG; 11-13-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
I just had an eye opening experience at my BMW dealer who was "diagnosing" a windshield washer fluid leak in my 2004 X3. I was presented with an estimate of over $700 to "replace the connector" AND to replace the carpet in the vehicle because the failure of the connecter caused the washer fluid to leak into the passenger compartment and soak the carpet. Disregarding the obvious question about why a vehicle was designed in such a way that an entirely external apparatus could foul the interior, I told them that I had checked and found that this was a common problem with the 2004 X3. They agreed, but said that it was the result of "using the wrong concentration washer fluid." Curiously BMW acknowledges that they make no note in the user manual or anywhere else about using a particular fluid or fluid concentration. They agreed to cover the cost of the fluid reservoir parts IF I had the carpet replaced at my expense and paid for all labor. If I only wanted the fluid reservior repaired, I would have to foot the entire bill of just over $500.00. The really interesting thing is that I've used nothing but dealer supplied fluid.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
coolant i use only bmw, windshield fluid anyone that dosnt contain rainx
Ditto that with emphasis on not using Rainx. It might be OK for airplanes but never, never use it on a car windshield. It makes visibiity worse in two ways: The raindrops slide up the windshield thus obscuring more of it. And when the wipers wipe, a film is left that creates huge headlight glare. I know there are many fans of Rainx out there (and that there will by some flames in reply), but this was my experience, and maybe they don't live in the rainy Northwest. Also, you can never get the stuff off. Silicone has it's uses but not on your windshield!

Since the original post is from Seattle, I can tell you that you can find a Mr. Clean brand of washer fluid at Shucks, rated to -30F. Works fine. I went with the coldest rating I could find after the day my washers froze up on Snoqualmie pass at +14F. Haven't seen such cold temps since so I can't say how good it actually is.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG View Post

I love the smell too! What AAA stands for?
WOW another old thread resurrected....
Old 01-27-2009, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
A follow-up to my note about the washer fluid leak in my X3. I went to the dealership and went over the car with the service technician. It turns out that the fluid in the reservoir under the hood reaches the rear window washer via a plastic line that runs through the passenger compartment. Between the two front seats on the passenger side is a connecter that links the front part of the line to the rear part. According to the technician this connecter is designed to pop open if the fluid freezes to prevent the line tiself from rupturing(thus the comment about my using the wrong concentration fluid). I told him that the fluid in the reservoir was fluid that they put it at the last servicing, so why was it the wrong concentration? He said that the "free" maintenance package only covers one bottle of the washer fluid and they dilute it with water to fill the reservoir. He also said that when they encounter the popped connector they always use electrical tape around it to prevent it from popping again! So, if I have this straight, BMW designed the system specifically to flood the interior with washer fluid at a known point, rather than risk having the line rupture at some arbitrary point. AND their service procedure ensures that it won't pop at the designed point again; instead it ruptures the line itself. FIRST LESSON LEARNED: Ask for undiluted washer fluid at service intervals and pay for the extra fluid needed. SECOND LESSON LEARNED: The foam beneath the carpeting of the X3 is an excellent sponge, but an expensive one! THIRD LESSON LEARNED: Next time buy a Mercedes, where the REAL German engineers work.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:04 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by W. McCollum View Post
Next time buy a Mercedes, where the REAL German engineers work.
uh-uh, another unhappy camper. I've never heard of this issue before....
Mercedes....ha!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:01 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
I just had an eye opening experience at my BMW dealer who was "diagnosing" a windshield washer fluid leak in my 2004 X3. I was presented with an estimate of over $700 to "replace the connector" AND to replace the carpet in the vehicle because the failure of the connecter caused the washer fluid to leak into the passenger compartment and soak the carpet. Disregarding the obvious question about why a vehicle was designed in such a way that an entirely external apparatus could foul the interior, I told them that I had checked and found that this was a common problem with the 2004 X3. They agreed, but said that it was the result of "using the wrong concentration washer fluid." Curiously BMW acknowledges that they make no note in the user manual or anywhere else about using a particular fluid or fluid concentration. They agreed to cover the cost of the fluid reservoir parts IF I had the carpet replaced at my expense and paid for all labor. If I only wanted the fluid reservior repaired, I would have to foot the entire bill of just over $500.00. The really interesting thing is that I've used nothing but dealer supplied fluid.
That is why I keep all paper work and document everything. I would contact BMWNA--I dont think they can afford any bad publicity at this point in the economy.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 01-27-2009, 06:19 PM
TTSam

Mein Auto: E92 M3 - 535 xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Alcohol level.............probably should have said XXX.

This thread is way old!
911 Retired
328xiT Retired
X3 Retired
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: E36 325 coup, E30 325 cab
Quote:
A follow-up to my note about the washer fluid leak in my X3...(..) .
Ref. X3 I had exactly the same problem as you. My wife drives an X3 and rang me the other day to tell me the driver and rear footwell were flooded with water, at the same time as the washer fluid tank, which had been filled up at at BMW dealer 2 weeks ago, was completely drained. I couldn't figure out whether the 2 events were related until I smelt the fluid on the floor...then I saw your note and it all made sense.
I don't have any intention to replace the carpet (no cash to do so either).. took some work, but loads of towels and my wife's hair drier dried it up just fine !
Fixing the issue is going to be another problem , though. Will have a go at it myself this weekend but reckon it's not going to be as simple as it looks.
A bit surprised that BMW screwed up on the engineering design of this particular car, since I've had , and still have, brilliant 3-series models which have never given me any cause for concern at all...
Old 01-29-2009, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enmosh View Post
.... the driver and rear footwell were flooded
Ah, Enmosh is from the U.K., so that's right - the tubing for the rear washer is routed on the left hand side (as you face the vehicle).

Not sure why this seems to happen when the tank has recently been topped up at a dealership.

It doesn't get that cold in the U.K. for the fluid to freeze.

Maybe they have changed the formulation and some additive is making that connecting piece expand or contract?
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Quote:
Ain't nothing like the real thing baby (Marvin Gaye)............

The original BMW factory wiper fluid. Actually have had the car 18 months and only had to fill up the wiper fluid once.

Hard to get - but my dealer gets in a few cases now and then, for customers who want the factory stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3-terrestrial View Post
Quote:
Alcohol level.............probably should have said XXX.

This thread is way old!
can someone describe the smell of the fluid?
I've noticed a rather strong odor in my X3 the past few days, almost an alcohol type smell.
was going to pop the hood when I get home and check the reservoir but figured I'd ask here as well.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, C230K, 3.2CLS-6
Windshield washer fluid: any generic blue stuff that's good to -20F. I happen to like blue!

WWF consumption: 600 miles/gallon.
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 3.0
interesting..... My washer light went off today, and I had a puddle on the drivers side floor board... hmmm
Old 06-07-2010, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 99' 528i
Same problem here. Filled up the tank and the next morning it was empty. Luckily I had placed a tin oil drainage under the car to catch some of the fluid so I would know I was not crazy. (Also to protect the carpet in my garage, that I use to work on the cars!)

I'm gonna try some good old DAP silicone that I bought today and seal up the grommets and pumps in the tank.
'84 318i
Old 06-07-2010, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 MT
Wow, this is an old thread!

Had my X3 in for 30K service about a week ago. 2 days later the windshield washer fluid light came on. I assumed they screwed up and forgot to add fluid. Now I've got to look and see if I have a leak somewhere, though I hadn't noticed any fluid or odor in the cabin.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
This thread started in '06! The plastic washer fluid tanks can and do crack over time so that might be the cause of fluid loss too.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 AM

I went in and pulled the fluid tank and what I found was one of the pumps was not securely in place. Instead of the silicone I just took two twisty ties and wrapped them around both of the pumps and the bottom parts of the tank, and pulled them tight to secure the seal for the pumps. That did the trick because I have not lost any fluid in a week.
'84 318i
Old 06-17-2010, 10:29 PM

Didn't work. Took alot longer -now a really slow leak, but a leak none the less. So now I will go in and try the silicone route.
'84 318i
Old 06-17-2010, 10:45 PM
Bee Em UU

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Manual states that the coolant is lifetime, thoughts on this? If not, i'd use OEM fluid. As for wiper, I've always been a fan of RainX (I know some previous disagreed), but I am not sure how it will work with the supposed heated headlight washers...

Traded in with 90K Miles:
2007 X3 3.0si Black Sapphire Metallic, Grey Nevada, M Sport Package, Premium, Cold Weather, Navigation, and Xenon.
Prod Date: March 2, 2007
Old 10-07-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
So just FYI if you find your washer fluid leaking out under the hood, it could be the pumps themselves leaking. My wife's 2006 X3 washer fluid leaked out within a week of being filled and i noticed the leaking coming from the pump closest to the engine which feeds the windshield sprayers. I ordered a new OEM pump and grommet/strainer and replaced easily in 15 minutes. Here is a little guide i put together on the process, hope it helps someone as this problem seem pretty prevalent in these cars. You can usually get both parts for < $50. There are several other threads about this on this forums too so just search for them.

Do It Yourself Guide To Replacing BMW X3 Washer Pumps

Hope it helps, you can definitely save yourself some $$$...

Last edited by jvest2000; 10-12-2012 at 03:56 PM.