Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:53 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by russian318is View Post
we are around $1.50 per LITRE in aus and no cheaper for cash.

Last fill up we paid 1.48 per litre for premium unleaded.

That works out to about $9.13/gallon-US

Local prices dropped a few pence over the last few days though. Not sure exactly how much because the stations don't display the price for premium.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 AW M3
Just so everyone knows, the price of oil yesterday and today was in the 88.00 range. The last time oil was this price the cost of gas was closer to the 2.00 mark.

So why the bend over with no vasoline?.....well if no one is asking then they don't have to tell you
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
Last fill up we paid 1.48 per litre for premium unleaded.

That works out to about $9.13/gallon-US

Local prices dropped a few pence over the last few days though. Not sure exactly how much because the stations don't display the price for premium.
Rip off if you ask me. That's like $144 to fill up an M3. Oh my.. Two fill ups is the same price of a round trip ticket to Hong Kong and back from Taiwan which is about 1000 miles round trip. If I were in England I would be using an electric scooter to get around town
330 Coupe Sold
Old 10-08-2012, 06:33 AM
* BLONDETOURAGE 2010*

Send a message via AIM to Missmodena310
Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by E39Freak View Post
Filled up about 5 hours ago.....$4.97/gal for 91 octane in my neighborhood.
Damn lol time we come visit you and get gas! The gas station across from B's work was 5.99$ same as here in calabasas. Bleh!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:22 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
That's like $144 to fill up an M3. Oh my..
We don't see many M3s around here.

Quote:
If I were in England I would be using an electric scooter to get around town

I'm waiting for the i3. We drive about 40-50 miles a day and mostly on country roads. A car with a real 80+ mile range would work for us.
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: x
I think gas prices in my area dropped 10 cents last Friday to $3.60...
Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 AM
resU deretsigeR

Update with better, more correct information.

Gov. Brown is allowing an early switch over to help reduce prices.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,7934574.story

Quote:
Gov. Jerry Brown intervened in the unrelenting climb of gasoline prices by calling for the immediate release of a cheaper, but less environmentally friendly, blend of gasoline.

Brown directed the California Air Resources Board on Sunday to permit oil companies to start selling winter-blend gasoline, which evaporates more quickly in warm weather than the summer blend. Normally, winter blend isn't permitted to be released until Oct. 31.
Quote:
Analysts attributed the sudden rise in gasoline prices in California to refinery and pipeline setbacks. The most immediate problem was the shutdown of the Exxon Mobil Corp. refinery in Torrance on Oct. 1 because of a power failure. It didn't resume production until Friday.

Also, a key refinery in Northern California was forced to reduce production in August after a major fire.

The refinery problems came while suppliers were selling the last of their summer-blend fuel in anticipation of the scheduled release of winter gasoline, which is cheaper to produce because it contains additives.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 10-08-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Are you sure it didn't cost you more to drive to the small town and back than the amount you saved?
Positive. My Sunday errand had my 2 mins away from that gas station anyways. Decided while there that I should just fell her up.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 09 335i Sedan w/ Prem/Spo
Quote:
Probably a local refining or distribution problem. At the same time CA prices went up 20 cents, UK prices went down a few pence.

Isn't this about when some smog districts change their fuel requirements? I haven't lived in CA in years, but around now refineries used to shut down for a few days to change the formulation. Couple that with a pipeline break, a refinery fire, and a little market speculation . . .
California has a winter blend and summer blend of gas due to its emissions laws. The winter blend cannot be sold before Halloween.

A chevron refinery went down in August. It is back up now but they saw its a gas shortage.

A shell refinery lost power last Monday. It was restored to full operations on Friday.

Governor Brown declared a state of emergency or something and told refineries to immediately start using the winter blend.

Now I'm not that trusting of what Big Oil tells us. I wouldn't put it past them to be doing this due to the upcoming election.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 530D Touring 6MT (F11)
Last time we paid under 5 USD/gallon here was like early 1990s or something.

Both diesel and petrol are around 15,5 SEK/litre here (that is equvalent to 9 USD/Gallon). But then the average Swede uses half of the quantity of oil that the average American use a year.

Last edited by The Swede; 10-08-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
Last time we paid under 5 USD/gallon here was like early 1990s or something.

Both diesel and petrol are around 15,5 SEK/litre here (that is equvalent to 9 USD/Gallon). But then the average Swede uses half of the quantity of oil that the average American use a year.
Sweden is ranked 3rd (Gasoline) and 2nd (Diesel) in fuel taxes put forth by your government.
http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp...0#.UHL2ZU1ZWSo

The USA tends to commute twice the distances to work as any other western country as well, thus the higher usage.

Last edited by Sportsdad; 10-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 530D Touring 6MT (F11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
Sweden is ranked 3rd (Gasoline) and 2nd (Diesel) in fuel taxes put forth by your government.
http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp...0#.UHL2ZU1ZWSo

The USA tends to commute twice the distances to work as any other western country as well, thus the higher usage.
I'm fully aware of that and accept it. Well 20-30 % lower prises would of course be nice since I both enjoy driving, own two boats and fly helicopter regulary. But on the other hand we get a lot for the fuel taxes we pay in terms of exellent public transportation, good roads, funds for research in alternative fuels (remember Sweden is to 100 % dependent on foreign oil) so we can lower our usage of oil etc.

And because the average Swede drive much less then the average American we don't have higher costs for comuting. I used to live in the US for a year and remember how totaly different culture that you have where living without a car just wasn't an alternative. So I understand the outrage over fuel prices that is taking place in the US at the moment.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM
resU deretsigeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post

In countries with $9/gallon fuel there is a large incentive to drive fuel efficient cars.

Maybe $5/gallon fuel will help Dodge sell a few more of these.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2...d-from-19-295/
Old 10-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
Quote:
In countries with $9/gallon fuel there is a large incentive to drive fuel efficient cars.

Maybe $5/gallon fuel will help Dodge sell a few more of these.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/05/2...d-from-19-295/
Absolutely, self-motivated incentive at those price$ !
Old 10-08-2012, 11:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5
I'll just leave it here...

Old 10-08-2012, 02:02 PM
Hydrocarbon Man

Mein Auto: Too slow to name
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryItalia View Post
Just so everyone knows, the price of oil yesterday and today was in the 88.00 range. The last time oil was this price the cost of gas was closer to the 2.00 mark.

So why the bend over with no vasoline?.....well if no one is asking then they don't have to tell you
Here's $88 of truth for you. Not a single facility in California refines West Texas Intermediate, so quoting that price doesn't mean a damned thing.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: X3
we've had ~4.50 for over year now here in Chicago, was close to 5 few weeks ago.

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 10-08-2012 at 11:08 PM. Reason: Removed political comments - only in P.S. please.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
You reap what you sow. California has always had this NIMBY attitude about the energy industry from production to refining to distribution. Now that one domino falls, prices go up. The granola head solution to this problem is to blame business rather than look in the mirror.

(Sorry to go all "Poli-Sci" on you.)

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 10-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Please confine political discussion to P.S. Thank you.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Here's $88 of truth for you. Not a single facility in California refines West Texas Intermediate, so quoting that price doesn't mean a damned thing.
Actually, it does mean a damned thing. The price/cost of the crudes that California refineries process is almost certainly based on the market price of WTI or Brent. That is just how the contracts are structured.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).
Old 10-09-2012, 04:21 AM
You don't get the irony

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Please confine political discussion to P.S. Thank you.
then perhaps this thread should move there

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 10-09-2012 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Policital references removed. Forum rules - NO poli sci outside poli sci.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerMikeTX View Post
Actually, it does mean a damned thing. The price/cost of the crudes that California refineries process is almost certainly based on the market price of WTI or Brent. That is just how the contracts are structured.
are you saying that Cali buys Oil @ ~$200+/barrel?
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnycakes View Post
then perhaps this thread should move there.
No, we don't move threads because some people can't contain themselves. Feel free to start a new thread there though if you want to take the conversation there.

Last edited by 1Dreamer; 10-09-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Mazda6, R90/6 R60/5
No CA requires the gas stations to sell "special" blends of gas that are only made in CA. So when there is a refinery fire or something else that shuts down a couple of refineries there is a supply shortage... and the prices shoot up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
Old 10-09-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
No, I did not say that, did I? Every crude has its own individual price. WTI or Brent is just the starting point for making the adjustments under the contract to arrive at the final price. Most refineries process many different crudes from many locations, each with its individual price.
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).