Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche 911
The Waiting Is The Hardest Part

A short while ago I posted a thread on configuring an F 30 that both my wife and I could enjoy. I appreciate the helpful input from the members of this Forum. In the interest of closure here is the final build: Luxury Line,, Imperial Blue, Saddle Dakota leather, anthracite trim, Premium package, Dynamic Handling Package, Lighting Package, Harmon Kardon and heated front seats. I am pleased with the final result which should result in a car that is fun to drive when asked to scoot and comfortable as a daily driver.
The car was ordered yesterday. Now comes the hard part...the wait. My dealer did not have a German build allocation at the present time. SA chassis are available. I am in a position where I can wait on delivery. They are searching the dealer network for a swappable spot for a German build. Hoping this happens sooner rather than later. Thanks again for the advice. Marc

Last edited by O2Drift; 10-07-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Advertisement
Old 10-07-2012, 04:17 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
You forgot the Technology Package. Was that a typo?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Hi BJ, after consideration I decided to forego the Tech Package. I hope I don't regret it.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:37 PM
Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjam3s View Post
you forgot the technology package. Was that a typo?

Bj
+1
Old 10-07-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Drift View Post
Hi BJ, after consideration I decided to forego the Tech Package. I hope I don't regret it.
Do you want us to be honest and give-you-the-business or would you prefer us to keep our mouths shut and pat your back while you forego the second-biggest must-have feature-set on your car?

Up to you.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
A short while ago I posted a thread on configuring an F 30 that both my wife and I could enjoy. I appreciate the helpful input from the members of this Forum. In the interest of closure here is the final build: Luxury Line,, Imperial Blue, Saddle Dakota leather, anthracite trim, Premium package, Dynamic Handling Package, Lighting Package, Harmon Kardon and heated front seats. I am pleased with the final result which should result in a car that is fun to drive when asked to scoot and comfortable as a daily driver.
The car was ordered yesterday. Now comes the hard part...the wait. My dealer did not have a German build allocation at the present time. SA chassis are available. I am in a position where I can wait on delivery. They are searching the dealer network for a swappable spot for a German build. Hoping this happens sooner rather than later. Thanks again for the advice. Marc
I highly recommend the rear view camera and park distance control. This technology is so helpful on a daily basis it is a shame to miss out on it. You'll be fine without the Tech pkg. I also highly recommend BMW Assist. This feature could literally save your life. Do a search for posts with my name and "assist" to read about the technology BMW has pioneered.

Your dealer should be able to modify an order he already has in for a dealership stock order (Priority 3) to a Priority 1 order (Customer sold) and give you an order number immediately. Do they have no German build Priority 3 orders at all in the system? This is very, very, very easy to do.

Congrats on your purchase.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-07-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Dont worry about not getting tech package. Not a must must have imo.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Dont worry about not getting tech package. Not a must must have imo.
I agree but if you get the NAV like I did, you get everything except the HUD I believe. And you must admit the I-drive display without the tech package or the NAV looks tiny and dare I say like an afterthought.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
I agree but if you get the NAV like I did, you get everything except the HUD I believe. And you must admit the I-drive display without the tech package or the NAV looks tiny and dare I say like an afterthought.
I dont mind it. i rather have no idrive at all but one thing i dont need is Nav, and the HUD is worthless because i use prescription sunglasses that happen to be polarized. The apps are cool, but not necessary. HK is a must have for me.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Nice selection. I wouldn't sweat the options you neglected. There are usually opinions both way on them (save, evidently, the lighting package). Yes, the waiting will be the hardest part.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:57 AM

Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it. In response to your question BJ I much prefer a candid opinion. I passed on the Tech package because I have no real need for the Nav which is a big chunk of the package. I know that it is a great system but in 99.9% of instances I know exactly where I'm going.For the rare instances when I'm in unfamiliar territory I have a free-standing GPS. In addition my situation does not call for updated traffic reports, etc. Likewise I'm also good without the apps. Tturedraider, I can see how the rear view camera and parking distance control would be helpful, particularly in an urban environment and I appreciate your suggestion that I take another look at these options. In my case perhaps they are not as needed. In my location it is very rare that parallel parking is necessary. In the vast majority of situations I encounter in daily driving parking is a breeze. The car is in my garage at home, in a multilevel parking structure at work or in a lot for shopping, errands, etc. BMW Assist is another matter. This is an option that you might be very glad you had should you need it. I will contact my CA today and ask about converting a Priority 3 spot to a Priority 2. Thanks for the suggestion. I am grateful for the informed opinions. Marc.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it. In response to your question BJ I much prefer a candid opinion. I passed on the Tech package because I have no real need for the Nav which is a big chunk of the package. I know that it is a great system but in 99.9% of instances I know exactly where I'm going.For the rare instances when I'm in unfamiliar territory I have a free-standing GPS. In addition my situation does not call for updated traffic reports, etc. Likewise I'm also good without the apps. Tturedraider, I can see how the rear view camera and parking distance control would be helpful, particularly in an urban environment and I appreciate your suggestion that I take another look at these options. In my case perhaps they are not as needed. In my location it is very rare that parallel parking is necessary. In the vast majority of situations I encounter in daily driving parking is a breeze. The car is in my garage at home, in a multilevel parking structure at work or in a lot for shopping, errands, etc. BMW Assist is another matter. This is an option that you might be very glad you had should you need it. I will contact my CA today and ask about converting a Priority 3 spot to a Priority 2. Thanks for the suggestion. I am grateful for the informed opinions. Marc.

ZTP Technology Package

609 Navigation system
(My opinion, the best quality stock GPS in any car, fast, great detail, split-screen utility)

610 Head-up Display

(The biggest win in the Tech Package, speed/nav/audio menus project on your hood, a can't-miss feature)

6NF Smartphone Integration
6NL BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB
6NR BMW Apps

(If you use an iPod or an iPhone, these give you some significant wins like the lack of a Y cable, on-screen album art, the ability to send addresses to the nav from your phone or web browser, three-years of an OnStar-like emergency service called BMW Assist, and then of course the Apps which only have Facebook and Twitter right now but will soon have Siri integration and other things. The enhanced Bluetooth also gives you wireless music streaming from Pandora and the ability to receive texts and emails into iDrive and have them read to you while you drive.)

6UH Real Time Traffic Information
(Very useful, even if you only use your nav a handful of times a year)

6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
(Larger display between and beneath the gauges with additional information)

AAA Big-Ass Widescreen Display
(The only way to get the gorgeous wide display is with the Technology Package. The screen is such a dominant feature in the car it's hard to stare at it 24/7 with the smaller LCD in there)

Something to understand is that the F30 is a technological wonder, could be the most advanced/connected passenger car ever made. So to cheat yourself of the full integration of the driving experience and the technical experience is viewed by many to be a poor compromise.

BJ

Old 10-08-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
You know, BMWs used to be about the driving experience more than gadgets and blinking lights. Hard to believe I know.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

ZTP Technology Package

609 Navigation system
(My opinion, the best quality stock GPS in any car, fast, great detail, split-screen utility)

610 Head-up Display

(The biggest win in the Tech Package, speed/nav/audio menus project on your hood, a can't-miss feature)

6NF Smartphone Integration
6NL BMW Assist with enhanced Bluetooth and USB
6NR BMW Apps

(If you use an iPod or an iPhone, these give you some significant wins like the lack of a Y cable, on-screen album art, the ability to send addresses to the nav from your phone or web browser, three-years of an OnStar-like emergency service called BMW Assist, and then of course the Apps which only have Facebook and Twitter right now but will soon have Siri integration and other things. The enhanced Bluetooth also gives you wireless music streaming from Pandora and the ability to receive texts and emails into iDrive and have them read to you while you drive.)

6UH Real Time Traffic Information
(Very useful, even if you only use your nav a handful of times a year)

6WA Instrument cluster with extended contents
(Larger display between and beneath the gauges with additional information)

AAA Big-Ass Widescreen Display
(The only way to get the gorgeous wide display is with the Technology Package. The screen is such a dominant feature in the car it's hard to stare at it 24/7 with the smaller LCD in there)

Something to understand is that the F30 is a technological wonder, could be the most advanced/connected passenger car ever made. So to cheat yourself of the full integration of the driving experience and the technical experience is viewed by many to be a poor compromise.

BJ
BJ, I got all of the above with just the NAV selected except of the HUD. when i test drove the car, i couldn't see anything projected and I couldn't figure it out, then the rep told me its your sunglasses they are polarized. Dude i can't drive without sunglasses even on a cloudy day, plus they are prescription therefore it was just NAV and I am glad BMW allowed this stand along. I hate spending any money on things I don't really use.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 10-08-2012, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
You know, BMWs used to be about the driving experience more than gadgets and blinking lights. Hard to believe I know.
1. Welcome aboard.
2. Now it's both.

BJ

Old 10-08-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
BJ, I got all of the above with just the NAV selected except of the HUD. when i test drove the car, i couldn't see anything projected and I couldn't figure it out, then the rep told me its your sunglasses they are polarized. Dude i can't drive without sunglasses even on a cloudy day, plus they are prescription therefore it was just NAV and I am glad BMW allowed this stand along. I hate spending any money on things I don't really use.
I wear Polarized RayBan's, aren't giving them up either. Like you, I'm sensitive to light and wear them on cloudy days to get rid of the glare.

If you crank the HUD brightness to max you can see the display just enough during the daytime even with the Polarized sunglasses on. And once 4pm comes around and the sunglasses come off, it's brilliant at night.

Because of the HUD, I never look at the gauges or the radio controls. I can see the speed, see nav directions, and scroll through a list of my favorite tracks/stations all on a display hovering in my line of sight, right there over the edge of the hood.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-08-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i xDrive 6MT ZDH
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
1. Welcome aboard.
2. Now it's both.

BJ
To be clear, I like electronic goodies just fine. It's just kind of funny to see what people are calling OMG MANDATORY nowadays given that for much of their history BMWs were relatively spartan cars for the money.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean10mm View Post
To be clear, I like electronic goodies just fine. It's just kind of funny to see what people are calling OMG MANDATORY nowadays given that for much of their history BMWs were relatively spartan cars for the money.
Like kids in a candy store, those coming off of E90's without iDrive can have a completely different experience with the F30. I loved my E90, don't get me wrong, but my F30 retains 90% of the performance and gains 200% more creature-comforts, a trade-off I'm more than happy to accept.

I'm only on a ridiculously fun twisty road once a month but I can appreciate iDrive integration every moment behind the wheel. It's not an insignificant benefit to owning the car, was critical to retaining me as a customer.

BJ

Old 10-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Thanks very much for the input. I appreciate it. In response to your question BJ I much prefer a candid opinion. I passed on the Tech package because I have no real need for the Nav which is a big chunk of the package. I know that it is a great system but in 99.9% of instances I know exactly where I'm going.For the rare instances when I'm in unfamiliar territory I have a free-standing GPS. In addition my situation does not call for updated traffic reports, etc. Likewise I'm also good without the apps. Tturedraider, I can see how the rear view camera and parking distance control would be helpful, particularly in an urban environment and I appreciate your suggestion that I take another look at these options. In my case perhaps they are not as needed. In my location it is very rare that parallel parking is necessary. In the vast majority of situations I encounter in daily driving parking is a breeze. The car is in my garage at home, in a multilevel parking structure at work or in a lot for shopping, errands, etc. BMW Assist is another matter. This is an option that you might be very glad you had should you need it. I will contact my CA today and ask about converting a Priority 3 spot to a Priority 1. Thanks for the suggestion. I am grateful for the informed opinions. Marc.
You might want to give some thought to the back up camera. $400. Believe me, you will come to really appreciate it. It, too, can have a significant safety impact. It could prevent the tragedy of backing over a child or cherished pet.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-08-2012, 10:47 AM

The waiting sucks.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You might want to give some thought to the back up camera. $400. Believe me, you will come to really appreciate it. It, too, can have a significant safety impact. It could prevent the tragedy of backing over a child or cherished pet.
+1. I don't have it but really miss it as I had it for the last 7 years on my Lexus.

I thought this was becoming a feature required by law on all cars?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
+1

The backup camera was the reason for the 8 week wait on my car, they found practically everything else on the lot.

My wife's Odyssey has a backup camera and once you have one you never go back. Now I've got kids and I've got a 100 year old house with a windy driveway and a carport to navigate, but the real reason I love the thing is this: You never have to turn your head or twist your neck again to see behind you. All you need is some decent peripheral vision and you're all set. I could be in a neck brace, still drove without incident.

The guide lines for parallel parking are a major win too, combined with PDC you're bulletproof.

BJ

Old 10-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
+1. I don't have it but really miss it as I had it for the last 7 years on my Lexus.

The government is in the process of preparing a requirement (initiated by President Bush). It appears model 2015 is probably the earliest the cameras would be required.

According to one consumer group fifty children are backed over every week and two of those die; most of the time by a parent or other family member. Toddlers and the elderly are at the highest risk.

Last edited by tturedraider; 10-08-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post

you had a Lexus? Did you ask for forgiveness from us before you bought an F30?

Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:

Any update? You give in to the power of the Tech Package yet?

BJ