Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 323i
Power Steering hoses - which is pressure hose

I need some advice, and help. I have a 2000 323i. I took it to a reputable mechanic who identified several problems, one of which was that my "power steering suction and return hoses" are leaking. I have several questions:
1. Which hoses in the attached diagram are the "power steering suction and return hoses?"
2. I am a novice. Is this ps hose job doable by a novice?
3. Is there a good video to help?

js
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E46Powersteering.png
Views:	344
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	343356  
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2012, 11:04 AM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
The pressure hose has the long, U-shaped loop that extends below the steering rack.

Consider replacing all of the hoses and the power steering fluid reservoir while you're at it.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:43 AM

G. P.,

Thanks, and to confirm, in my mechanic's statement, ''power steering suction and return hoses" the suction hose is the pressure hose? Furthermore, is this the #10 hose in the diagram? Also, do you think a novice could do it?

I will get under the car tomorrow to get an impression on whether I could do this or not.

js
Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 AM
GO FLYERS!!!

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
^^^^^^Agree with the above......hoses #7 and #11 are notorious for leaking and are not all that expensive. Keeping the fluid from dripping into your alternator will save you in the long run as well.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:49 AM
GO FLYERS!!!

#10 is the cooling line that runs behind the radiator...the pressure hose is #3. If you plan to change the lines I mention above be sure to get the quick disconnect tool as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Assenmacher-AS...isconnect+tool
Old 09-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Go Hokies!

Mein Auto: 2001 325i Touring 5-speed
+1 on getting the disconnect tool - makes it easy peasy to remove the #7 & 11 lines hooking to the #10 cooler (which you shouldn't need to replace). Check out Starless's DIY in the Wiki to see if the overall job is something you'd like to tackle.

I replaced all four lines (#1, 3, 7 & 11) & the reservoir. Aside from the pressure line, they're not terribly expensive. Don't forget washers & hose clamps.

Make sure you get the correct #3 pressure hose, for either the LF-20 or the LF-30 pump. Going just by the car's manufacture date isn't wise, as an LF-20 could have been replaced by an LF-30. To be sure, take a look at the pump pictures on Pelican Parts (or another vendor) - they're quite different.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:07 PM

I finally have a little time today to check things out. I took off the air box to get a better look-see. It is hard to tell what is leaking, all the hoses are covered with at least some oil/grease and crud. I decided to replace all the hoses and the reservoir (I assume my daughter never did - so the filter is probably all mucked up.) as well.

Now for the dumb question. I have the hose tool, but it is not clear to me how it works. Can someone help?

js
Old 10-03-2012, 12:29 PM
GO FLYERS!!!

It just slides over the quick disconnect to depress the gray plastic ring into the metal collar and push back the retaining clips inside the collar so that you can then pull off the hose. I think Starless has a picture posted in one of his DIY threads about swapping out the PS hoses.

Yep....here you go......about 10 pictures in

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...455&highlight=

Last edited by hexy27; 10-03-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Power Steering Hose connections

I've removed the four hoses and have started installing the new ones. This has generated some questions:

1. The rack to cooling coil line is attached to the wheel well with two plastic ties. How was I supposed to "untie" them (The hose could not be removed without unfastening them.) and how do I reattach the new hose to the wheel well? (I had to partially cut the fastener.)

2. I connected the end of the high pressure line that attaches with the hollow bolt with no problem, but is the other end that goes into the P/S pump supposed to be forced in? It look like it is supposed to "pop" to seat properly. If I just "gently" put it in and then tighten the nut, the nut does not seat against the pump.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Rambling Wreck

Mein Auto: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaklas View Post
1. The rack to cooling coil line is attached to the wheel well with two plastic ties. How was I supposed to "untie" them (The hose could not be removed without unfastening them.) and how do I reattach the new hose to the wheel well? (I had to partially cut the fastener.)
Refer back to the parts diagram you posted; I believe you'll need the tie shown there. Mine unhooked itself with ease, but I couldn't tell you exactly how since I did the work over a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsaklas View Post
2. I connected the end of the high pressure line that attaches with the hollow bolt with no problem, but is the other end that goes into the P/S pump supposed to be forced in? It look like it is supposed to "pop" to seat properly. If I just "gently" put it in and then tighten the nut, the nut does not seat against the pump.
Mine did not seat against the pump either. Using a flare nut wrench, I hand tightened it just enough to the compress the little O-ring on the end of the fitting. If you overtighten the fitting, you risk cutting or overcompressing the O-ring.