Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 10-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 3.0i & 328xi
What do these warning lights mean?

Any ideas?
Sorry the pic is upside down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warninglights.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	344950  
Ads by Google
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
those look like the dreaded transfer case problem lights

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=566880
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers - July'14
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 10-09-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 PM

That is what I thought at first too, but the ABS light is not on. The auto transmission light is.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Are they on permanently, or do they go away when car is turned off and later restarted?

If the latter, most likely nothing to be concerned about - electronic gremlin, possibly caused by low battery.

If the former, you need to look up: The terrible triad (TTT).

The TTT is usually the 4x4, BRAKE and ABS lights, I believe.

But your combination occurs too, I think. Some have reported all 4 lights on - might depend on year or the actual source of the problem.

When the A/T light is on, the transmission seems to operate in a protected mode, and makes the drive really odd.

Turning steering wheel lock to lock while idling might fix it if it was the steering angle sensor that needed re-initialising.

If transfer case fluid has never been replaced that should be the next thing to do.

Third, might be worth the $100 for a diagnostic as it could be any of a number of sensors that have failed.

If it is the transfer case itself, or its actuator, you should hear some audible clues.

Can't see your odometer unfortunately in the picture - but this can happen at any mileage and any year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warninglights.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	344969  
Old 10-09-2012, 01:00 PM

The car was shut on and off several times and the lights are still there. The mileage of the car is right around 59,000. When should the transfer case fluid be changed?
I have noticed a slight shudder lately under very slow acceleration when I take my foot off of the gas.

Last edited by Lost240; 10-09-2012 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:10 PM

BMW say it is lifetime fluid - but that just means the lifetime of the transfer case.

The lifetime can be short if the fluid doesn't get changed. Chains get worn if lubricant properties get exhausted.

Varying opinions here for change interval. Anywhere from every 25K miles up.

2004 models should definitely have had their fluid changed before about 50K miles (I'd guess) as initial fill appeared to be Dexron III ATF before the special BMW Transfer Case Fluid became available.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:15 PM

do you think its fluid related or actuator related? I am just curious because I know my e83 has almost 60k on it and I want to make sure that this doesn't happen
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 10-09-2012, 01:20 PM

I am dropping the car off this evening at my local shop. I will let you know what they find.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Ok. I just went outside to bring the car to the shop and now all of the lights are off and everything is running just fine. I am hoping this was just an electronic Gremlin....
Old 10-09-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost240 View Post
Ok. I just went outside to bring the car to the shop and now all of the lights are off and everything is running just fine. I am hoping this was just an electronic Gremlin....
Definitely have it checked out though by a reputable BMW Mechanic
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace

Old 10-09-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
The car was shut on and off several times and the lights are still there.
Quote:
Ok. I just went outside to bring the car to the shop and now all of the lights are off and everything is running just fine.
From my experience, it takes a cold start, or at least an hour shut off, for you to see if it is a false alarm or the real thing.

My expectation would be that no codes will have been left, so you might want to hold off on the diagnostic hookup expense.

Your slight shudder on lifting off the gas could be checked out if you think it is something more than the usual effect.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and get the transfer case fluid done would be my recommendation.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
From my experience, it takes a cold start, or at least an hour shut off, for you to see if it is a false alarm or the real thing.

My expectation would be that no codes will have been left, so you might want to hold off on the diagnostic hookup expense.

Your slight shudder on lifting off the gas could be checked out if you think it is something more than the usual effect.

Make sure your battery is fully charged and get the transfer case fluid done would be my recommendation.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I had a feeling that dropping it off for the codes to be checked wouldn't make a difference. I think I will get the transfer case fluid changed and have the battery checked.
Thank you all for the quick responses.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post

It turns out that you were right. My battery had a low charge and was replaced. No more dash lights!
They explained to me that if the battery is low, the car will begin sequentially shutting off modules in order to reduce the power draw on the battery so the car will still start. So in this case the DSC was off and a few other modules were off triggering the lights.

Thanks again for all the help!
Old 10-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
It turns out that you were right. My battery had a low charge and was replaced. No more dash lights!
They explained to me that if the battery is low, the car will begin sequentially shutting off modules in order to reduce the power draw on the battery so the car will still start. So in this case the DSC was off and a few other modules were off triggering the lights.

And you would think a low/bad battery would trigger the battery light.... Good way to make us running around in circles !

Old 10-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:

That is probably the most logical explanation I have ever heard on why the random lights happen when the battery starts to go.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:03 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
That is probably the most logical explanation I have ever heard on why the random lights happen when the battery starts to go.
Funny, I thought the same thing at first, then I realized that is misleading, thus my previous post.