Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-09-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i
Humming Noise During Kickdown After Accident in 2011 F10 535i

I was recently in a car accident (rear car rashed into me and caused me to hit the person in front of me). Just got the car back but...

When I accelerate (0-60), travel at high speeds 60-80mph, or kickdown the car makes a whirring/humming noise. It's not there when you accelerate normally but when accelerating aggressively there is a high-pitched whirring noise that is driving me crazy! It almost sounds like something is loose or a part is loose and is thus vibrating...

Driving the car aggressively is the beauty of owning such a magnificent car and if I have to hear a whirring/humming noise every time I do so then I'm going to be really upset (damn the driver who hit my baby!!).

I checked the ball-bearings and that's not the case. The BMW service guy said that this is normal with BMW cars but I personally think he's an idiot. I have had the car for over a year (purchased brand new) before the accident and there was no such sound. I do believe the accident caused it but I don't know what it could be.

Can anyone give me suggestions? You guys are such an amazing community, please help me get my beautiful car back to the pristine condition in which it was before the crash.

Last edited by ashar33; 10-11-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
your description of kickdown isn't really what a kickdown is. Kickdown refers to a downshift with maximum or strong acceleration when already driving at speed. Sounds like you are talking about accelerating from a stop. I'm thinking it has something to do with the driveshafts.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528 MT
something is probably loose take it back to

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashar33 View Post
I was recently in a car accident (rear car rashed into me and caused me to hit the person in front of me). Just got the car back but...

When I kickdown (0-60) the car makes a whirring/humming noise. It's not there when you accelerate normally but when accelerating aggressively there is a high-pitched whirring noise that is driving me crazy! It almost sounds like something is loose or a part is loose and is thus vibrating...

Driving the car aggressively is the beauty of owning such a magnificent car and if I have to hear a whirring/humming noise every time I do so then I'm going to be really upset (damn the driver who hit my baby!!).

I checked the ball-bearings and that's not the case. The BMW service guy said that this is normal with BMW cars but I personally think he's an idiot. I have had the car for over a year (purchased brand new) before the accident and there was no such sound. I do believe the accident caused it but I don't know what it could be.

Can anyone give me suggestions? You guys are such an amazing community, please help me get my beautiful car back to the pristine condition in which it was before the crash.
to body shop that did repair.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: BMW F10 535i
Thanks for the suggestion but I do understand kickdown - I just used it in the wrong sense. I have edited the post. But I guess what I meant was it's most noticeable when I floor it (pushing the accelerator all the way down past the "click") to go 0-60, I notice the noise the most.

Any other ideas? I will bring it to the body shop as well but they will probably charge my insurance company more.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
drive it with the body shop or BMW shop foreman. Only way that this will get resolved.