Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Even though China is now the world's biggest market for cars, I would think the US is still BMW's biggest market.
I don't know the numbers but in terms of economic growth both short and long term where a segment can afford BMW-s, nothing comes close to China. And over there brand means even more than here. BMW and Mercedes stand to really benefit.

Even before tensions grew between the Chinese and Japanese, the Chinese preferred German. Now I'd hate to be a Lexus sales rep.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
I don't know the numbers but in terms of economic growth both short and long term where a segment can afford BMW-s, nothing comes close to China. And over there brand means even more than here. BMW and Mercedes stand to really benefit.

Even before tensions grew between the Chinese and Japanese, the Chinese preferred German. Now I'd hate to be a Lexus sales rep.
In terms of economic growth, I dont think anybody can compete with China.

I read today that Japanese car sales is down almost 50% in China and things will likely get worst for the Japanese auto makers. I am not picking sides here but it seems to me the Japanese have a lot more to lose in this island dispute than the Chinese does.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
The world wide numbers came out today for BMW, including the F30 3 series -

"The BMW 3 Series achieved sales of 39,302 vehicles last month (prev. yr. 35,842/ +9.7%)"

The way I read that is that sales in the US might be down for reasons I'm sure have been discussed in the thread already but that overall BMW F30 sales are up.

Tim

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-09-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:

I read today that Japanese car sales is down almost 50% in China and things will likely get worst for the Japanese auto makers. I am not picking sides here but it seems to me the Japanese have a lot more to lose in this island dispute than the Chinese does.
The article said BMW sales are up 55% in China since the Japan-China tensions started (a month ago).
Old 10-09-2012, 03:01 PM

Quote:

50% surprises me. Maybe it reflects some sales before the dispute escalation. I'd expect at some point it'll approach 0. There is a lot of ill will boiling to the surface. You have a certain percentage angry and willing to act to the point that the rest of the people want to just stay out of the way of this.

Even doing business there I try to keep tabs on protest activity not that it's been a problem for foreigners...yet.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-09-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
The article said BMW sales are up 55% in China since the Japan-China tensions started (a month ago).
Kind of makes you wonder how the Germans were able to instigate things.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:

If the natural gas and oil reserves are hundreds of billions of dollars worth, Japan would have to lose a lot of business in China to make up for it.

Not to mention that giving up those islands to China is sending a signal to China that they can continue to push on other things, like Taiwan without protest from Japan or their proxy, the US.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
If Lexus and Infiniti can't sell in China, maybe they will try to sell more in the US by shipping more units and cutting price more?

Camry half price special, anyone?

Last edited by dtc100; 10-09-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Here since day one

Mein Auto: 535ix, GL450, 991S, NSX
I had noticed I don't see many F30's and when I asked my local dealer a few months ago they made a VERY good point ... they were't ordering as many of them until the Xdrive came out.

Now that the xdrive is available i am betting you will see a lot more of them on the road especially here in the Northeast.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Anything is better than a 2011 328i, a car conceived in 2003, launched in 2005, and found everywhere. I could open a box of Corn Flakes, find a 2011 328i in there.

BJ
Mine came from a box of Raisin Bran. I need the fiber.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:36 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Mine came from a box of Raisin Bran. I need the fiber.
You're lucky.

Me, I'm looking for a sway bar. I hear they're most readily found in boxes of Cocoa Puffs.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30, 704 SS option
Well.....BMW Canada has introduced a lower priced model, the Classic, which lists for $39,990. Unfortunately, it is available in an automatic only and sport seats and suspension are not available which rules it out for me.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Quote:
Even though China is now the world's biggest market for cars, I would think the US is still BMW's biggest market.
In 12-24 months, it will be China > USA > Germany.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
If the natural gas and oil reserves are hundreds of billions of dollars worth, Japan would have to lose a lot of business in China to make up for it.

Not to mention that giving up those islands to China is sending a signal to China that they can continue to push on other things, like Taiwan without protest from Japan or their proxy, the US.
I think Japan is really in a tough position. Before the Fukushima accident, Japan was the world's third biggest user of nuclear power, they had planned to increase nuclear's share of the energy mix to 50% by 2030. As a result of the Fukushima accident, Japan has recently announced plans to end its reliance on nuclear power within 30 years. This signals a major shift in how the country will get its power source from. Japan's need for oil and natural gas will increase due to its shift from nuclear power generation. Either way, this will be a lose lose situation for Japan.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
I think Japan is really in a tough position. Before the Fukushima accident, Japan was the world's third biggest user of nuclear power, they had planned to increase nuclear's share of the energy mix to 50% by 2030. As a result of the Fukushima accident, Japan has recently announced plans to end its reliance on nuclear power within 30 years. This signals a major shift in how the country will get its power source from. Japan's need for oil and natural gas will increase due to its shift from nuclear power generation. Either way, this will be a lose lose situation for Japan.
Yeah, it's becoming an issue of national security, which, unfortunately is how wars get started.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yeah, it's becoming an issue of national security, which, unfortunately is how wars get started.
I view this as not a Japanese play for oil near the islands, but simply a display of nationalism in response to economic slowdown. I seriously doubt Japan has any plans to go develop the oil fields in that area.

As always, Japan's timing is incredibly poor, giving Chinese nationalism an excuse to fire up during their own economic slowdown. Japanese companies are begging their government to cut the crap, they're getting crushed.

Regardless, European and American car companies are benefitting.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
That's why Japan attacked Pearl Harbor.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM

Where is our display of nationalism, consider that both Japan and Germany were at war with the US?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
When I was in Shenzhen in September, it seemed as though the government was encouraging protests but things quickly spiraled past what they'd have wanted. Now they're trying to tone it down at the citizen level. The population is still very angry about WWII and feels government acquisition of the islands is effectively a continuation of the resource raid WWII was for China. There are plenty of people whose grandmothers were raped by the Japanese who'd like a what for with Japan.

The Chinese government is pretty smart. With China and Japan the second and third largest world economies they can't afford continuing escalations. Japan has even more incentive to avoid conflict insofar as they can't defend themselves and we sure aren't going to do it.

Look for compromise and diplomatic solutions, achieved slowly and carefully so as to preserve face.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-10-2012, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
When I was in Shenzhen in September,
I was there for 3 weeks exactly a year ago. It was an experience.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
Don't mean to hijack but you're right, it's not Kansas. Toto would be even money to end up hanging naked in a storefront. But there are lots of great things about China, for many it really starts to grow on you. During my last visit I stayed the length of my visa limit and not because I had to, I could get away with three or four weeks a year.

Just be sure not to forget tissues.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Old 10-10-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
When I was in Shenzhen in September, it seemed as though the government was encouraging protests but things quickly spiraled past what they'd have wanted. Now they're trying to tone it down at the citizen level. The population is still very angry about WWII and feels government acquisition of the islands is effectively a continuation of the resource raid WWII was for China. There are plenty of people whose grandmothers were raped by the Japanese who'd like a what for with Japan.

The Chinese government is pretty smart. With China and Japan the second and third largest world economies they can't afford continuing escalations. Japan has even more incentive to avoid conflict insofar as they can't defend themselves and we sure aren't going to do it.

Look for compromise and diplomatic solutions, achieved slowly and carefully so as to preserve face.
Japan's vulnerability is not national security, rather limited resources (why they invaded their neighbors) and an aging population. As their economy continues to suffer, the politicians fan nationalism as an answer. The Chinese government has always used nationalism to its advantage to control the population and suppress the critics.

BTW, China has risen so much there is no looking back, the advances in infrastructures there were mind boggling after two trips there ten years apart. They can only defeat themselves in their own game.

Last edited by dtc100; 10-10-2012 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I was in Shenzhen once. Took a photo of the menu.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dog meat pot.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	345094  
Old 10-10-2012, 10:49 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Don't mean to hijack but you're right, it's not Kansas. Toto would be even money to end up hanging naked in a storefront. But there are lots of great things about China, for many it really starts to grow on you. During my last visit I stayed the length of my visa limit and not because I had to, I could get away with three or four weeks a year.

Just be sure not to forget tissues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
I was in Shenzhen once. Took a photo of the menu.

I am a bit of a picky eater(No seafood for example) so that made things much harder.

animal or vegetable was my first question. I also refused to eat anything that was able to look back at me lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 10-10-2012, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I am a bit of a picky eater(No seafood for example) so that made things much harder.

animal or vegetable was my first question. I also refused to eat anything that was able to look back at me lol.
I was introduced to a popular seafood meal in which while you work on the fish, it could bite your fingers off if you were not careful, because the fish head was kept alive. I chickened out.