BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

US-335D, DPF off and Ecotune tune and pipe

16K views 39 replies 12 participants last post by  brettboat 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with ECOTUNE out of Scotland that provides a DPF removal pipe and an ECU tune re-map on a US-spec 335D? They claim they've sold some to US customers and that the results are amazing... The major negative is that you have to physically remove your ECU and ship to their Scotland shop due to the encryption on 2009 and up models. How does this new tune and DPF removal affect the still present DEF system and urea process? On a side note, I live in an emissions exempt state for diesel vehicles. Any information/thoughts is much appreciated as I can't find much info regarding the DEF system after the DPF removal and re-map.

#2 ·
not surprising given no def on european version. One good thing is def is still downstream of the dpf so likely little effect. whats it do to the egr system as thats right around there?

powered by lemings

#9 ·
Sorry to bump up such an old thread but I figured it would be better than starting a new one.

Any updates on this? I want to remove my DPF but do not want to remove/ship the ECU. No reply from Ecotune.

Any shops in the US do this yet for the 335D? I see quite a few VW TDI places but nothing specific for the 35D.

#10 ·
There was a discussion last week about if the ECU could be reprogrammed via a handheld and from what everyone said that is not possible in the states. Only one mentioning I have seen of a DPF removal in the works I recall also talking about reprogramming of the ECU. So would look like no luck presently with doing a DPF removal and not wanting to remove your ECU to have it reprogrammed. Unless of course you are close enough to some of the few places that do the actual reprogramming.

#12 ·
Thank you sir!

Been reading many threads that the DPF might not be all that restrictive in the 35D but it is still a science test. My guess is that, like every other diesel, it is but there isn't any definitive information yet (except for when it gets full of carbon).

I'd feel more comfortable shipping my ECU to Canadia than across the pond either way :)

#13 ·
Thank you sir!

Been reading many threads that the DPF might not be all that restrictive in the 35D but it is still a science test. My guess is that, like every other diesel, it is but there isn't any definitive information yet (except for when it gets full of carbon).

I'd feel more comfortable shipping my ECU to Canadia than across the pond either way :)
Have you read through a thread(on another forum) where someone overseas did remove the DPF, had their tune changed and ultimately put the DPF back on? I thought he said he saw next to no gain and did not feel the soot was worth that very small gain. Personally I'd not get high hopes on this gaining power stateside until someone is the test subject and has a good person tuning for the change.

#16 ·
According to someone who has done it on a euro car, it is not worth it unless you plan on doing some "heavy tuning" source:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=535271

Via other threads on here and elsewhere it has already been shown that euro tunes in general will not work on north america cars. So it is going to require someone who can do "heavy tuning" on this side of the pond which is really going to limit your choices. Like I said before, I'd wait for someone else to spend their time and money in the R&D on this on a north american car to see if it is an option worth spending time on.

#17 ·
Considering the volume of gases passing through there ... incredibly small. That being said, as the DPF ages, or if a malfunction occurs and regens aren't effective, that back pressure could readily become a problem for the system. I have no data regarding how much back pressure is "too much".

#19 ·
It's real shame some of these things ended up being different from the euro cars. Sure would be nice to just order a tune/dpf removal and so on from there and slap it on without issue. From what I recall they even have a different EGR setup that can easily be bypassed but not sure anyone has found a solution yet for the cars over here.

#21 ·
Starting in 2014 (or before) the Euro cars will be the same as ours. That is when their emissions requirements catch up to ours. The reality is (and I think others here agree) that BMW and MB and Audi/VW have been using the US/CA for a beta test site for the new emissions systems required soon over there.

#23 ·
As I recall there is a guy by the name of turboEddie in another forum that is actively seeking in removing the whole system and working in conjunction with Lenny to see of the it can be removed, I met a guy down here in Puerto rico whom happens to know about a guy in Poland that actually works in your computer via OBD II using the my friend laptop, I asked how did he managed to do that he told me that the Polish guy had the BMW program to enter via OBD II and he managed to make MANY changes on your car. I will keep you informed on this because if its true this Polish guy MIGHT be the Key for ALL OF US!! and if so trust me I will post this PRONTO!! to you. As I write I am sending a txt to my friend will keep everyone posted ok

#26 ·
I'm into speculation, so here's a far-out guess: the US exports X5d vehicles. The USA has export controls under ITAR for encryption and products that have encrypted portions. Therefore, DDEs exported from the USA have to meet different standards (be more easily de-crypted, generally) than those exported from Europe.:angel::bigpimp:

#27 ·
It might be something like that. I just know the stuff we put out that has to be encrypted we are able to come up with routines that meet te needs for all countries the products go to instead of having different methods for different countries. But that is related to oilfield and not automotive.

#33 ·
@snipe,
Yes, this thread has been dead for awhile so I thought i should kick it in the pants. Snipe, do you happen to know the long term plan for the state of Texas with regard to no emissions testing for diesel vehicles? I ask this as if we both were to have the software mod and bypass our DPF, we would be at the mercy of the state not changing their mind on testing. I've got a while beofre warranty is up (25 months or 27,000 miles to go). Likely i will reach time first.

#34 ·
Sorry but I have no idea. With that said though, I thought the gasoline car test is not even a sniffer but instead it plugs into the ODBII. I do not see why an inventive programmer could not trick a cars computer into telling the emissions machine what it wants to know. Of course that inventive programmer would probably be breaking some laws and facing some big fines.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.