Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bm323 View Post
and the Panny doesn't handle well?

Did your E60 handle better than the Panny turbo, and which E60 turbo did you own and enjoy, causing you to purchase the F10 without test driving it?
I think you misunderstood. The Panny does handle well but if you are willing to spend the significant extra $$$ on a turbo over the S or GTS you're IMO a power and speed junkie. The S and GTS handles as good and are not underpowered. Thereby it's very likely that someone who opts for the Panny turbo will be wowed by the M5's fairly extreme power resources and speed, the two cars speaks to the same audience. Mental picture of Clarkson shouting "POWER" or trashing the tires of the SLS AMG. I also think variable steering assist is standard on the turbo, IMO that ruins the steering on both the Cayenne and Panny. ( It costed me almost $2k to get rid of Servotronic in my Cayenne order since I needed to go a la carte instead of package but thankfully it is an option and only forced on you in the Hybrid and Turbo ).

Last edited by solstice; 10-09-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I think all of you are forgetting one very important point.
The last M5 was horrible.
Just watch this video and you'll know BMW gone a long way in fixing all that was wrong with the last M5:

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashhell View Post
Just watch this video and you'll know BMW gone a long way in fixing all that was wrong with the last M5:

I still lust for that car watching that video. It is sooooo cool. And I Do know how the video ends when it's not truncated... All those things complained about works flawlessly in for example a Lexus ES, doesn't make me want one of those.

Like with an with Alfa Romeo there are a lot of things you can forgive in a car that cool and that fun.
Complicated, maybe. Horrible, not a chance.

Last edited by solstice; 10-09-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
At the invitation of my SA I got to experience both the M5 and M6 yesterday. My reaction - wow! - both are beautiful, powerful expressions of BMW and M. I was especially impressed with the artful nature of the M6.
If you have test driven the various F10s, does the F10 550i handle like the 535i (other than the bigger engine in the former) and likewise, does the F10 M5 handle like the 535i and 550i (other than the bigger engines)?

And how does the M5 and 550i handle compared to the F10 GT?

Last edited by bm323; 10-10-2012 at 07:39 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:

the last m5 is only one word

epic.

i love this video

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Anyone else see the tesla s vs m5 video... All I can say is wtf!
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10 AM
Silverstone F80 M3

Mein Auto: '15 F80 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
Anyone else see the tesla s vs m5 video... All I can say is wtf!
Why would this surprise you? The Tesla Model S has a boat load of torque at 0 rpm, has zero drivetrain loss, and does not have to shift.

Did you notice that once they hit 100 the M5 was starting to gain hard?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
I still lust for that car watching that video. It is sooooo cool. And I Do know how the video ends when it's not truncated... All those things complained about works flawlessly in for example a Lexus ES, doesn't make me want one of those.

Like with an with Alfa Romeo there are a lot of things you can forgive in a car that cool and that fun.
Complicated, maybe. Horrible, not a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
the last m5 is only one word

epic.

i love this video
Quote:
The E60 M5 represents the last in a long line of NA engines, and the sound of that engine at full scream is enough to give you goosebumps. it's also harsh and the SMG is very clunky (like grandma moving through shifts, even at the highest settings) and it takes the top half of the revs to really get the pull vs the effortless (lazy?) power all across the curve on an S2 550. it's a tough decision.

this is really simple to break down though. if your heart is in control you would probably take the E60. but the rational brain would choose the 550. the purists would take the e60 m5 9x out of 10.
Quote:
i went from a HPFP laden 535 sport (which, besides the limp mode on twisty mountain roads i really loved) to the 550i X with (now) Dinan Stage 2. they are VASTLY different, i continue to be amazed by the refinement, raw power, smooth when it wants to be, aggresive when it wants to be swiss army knife that is the 550. it's true, she gained weight and is not as surgical as the e60, but as i mentioned, this trade is worth it to me. 85% of the E60 in the twisties, 150% of the E60 in all other modes.
Quote:
i don't. would have bought one if i did big guy. i have always loved 5 series, this is my 2nd one, it won't be my last one. i have also always loved M3s, but the choice this time was OBVIOUS. 550i xdrive with Dinan s2 FTW
-------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm
you mean your din an will take down my M3 on a straight line ?

Quote:
100% yes. it's happened before, will happen again. not many cars can fck with me bro
----------------------------------------------

Quote:
the engine is a monster. the car is more fighter bomber than fighter. some have had a very hard time adjusting to this new reality, some cant take it because of the "isolation". isolation to some = refinement to others.
Quote:
It's a prerequisite for M3 owners to come over to the F10 board and hate on the F10. you are the 3rd in an illustrious group.

boy is that M5 fierce.
Now, now ... let's be consistent since you both rely on reviews, not have double standards ... if one seeks to rely on reviews, the reviews generally say that the F10 M5 is better than the E60 M5.

Automobile http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588709

Insideline: Slightly Less Exotic, yet Still a Better Sport Sedan http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m5/201...rst-drive.html

Road and Track:Still the king of all sports sedans, the new M5 improves in every way. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2013-bmw-m5

Motortrend: A Bigger Bang: Latest Sedan Takes A Big Step Forward http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz28ur7o7Am

Autocar: Objectively it's the best M5 we've ever seen; bigger, faster, more efficient, vastly easier to live with and still an exercise in handling brilliance.

------------------

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588616

Last edited by bm323; 10-10-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:01 AM

Yeah, but you are forgetting that highyo met "religious icon of your choice" at the M driving school after those statements
I think he still has and love his 550 as well so I don't think he deserves the solstice treatment as being dragged over hot coals by you and tadtaggert.

It is also possible for a human to change his or hers opinion slightly or significantly over time. It's not a criminal act and the discussions are far more interesting when it's cars being judged not the commenters.

Last edited by solstice; 10-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
-------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_enthusiasm
you mean your din an will take down my M3 on a straight line ?

----------------------------------------------

Now, now ... let's be consistent since you both rely on reviews, not have double standards ... if one seeks to rely on reviews, the reviews generally say that the F10 M5 is better than the E60 M5.

Automobile http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588709

Insideline: Slightly Less Exotic, yet Still a Better Sport Sedan http://www.insideline.com/bmw/m5/201...rst-drive.html

Road and Track:Still the king of all sports sedans, the new M5 improves in every way. http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2013-bmw-m5

Motortrend: A Bigger Bang: Latest Sedan Takes A Big Step Forward http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz28ur7o7Am

Autocar: Objectively it's the best M5 we've ever seen; bigger, faster, more efficient, vastly easier to live with and still an exercise in handling brilliance.

------------------

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=588616
all of the above statements i made are true and i stand by them 100%. where is the double standard?

i stated when posting this thread (note the quotes in teh "trash" part) that i can NOT recall an M car being knocked for lack of enthusiasm and vim and vinegar. track times, looks, etc are all awesome. and maybe one day i will own an f10 m5. but again, FIRST time i have seen an M car being knocked for "blah".

i stand by the SMG tranny in the old M5 being a disaster. i drove it hard at the performance school and it was not in the M3s league, even if it was faster

My 550 will torch an m3 off the line, but will never match it for sheer driving excitment and overall driving/steering feel. no shot.

where is taht a double standard?

by the way, this is border line stalking

and as you can see from one of the above quotes of mine, if i wanted to buy the m3, i would have.

and i did. and it's the best car i have ever driven. the d2 f10 is my wife's car now, and i still love it. but there is only one M3

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual

Last edited by highyo; 10-10-2012 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Highyo has only one problem which is that he hasn't driven the M5.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-10-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
I guess M5 has become daily driving car and less fun car. It is NOT a car which makes people take a drive just for the fun of it.

There is a member on other forum who has both F10 M5 and Pana GTS. The car he chooses to drive just for the fun of it is GTS. M5 is not an addicting car anymore like older M5 or any M3.

This another video review that discusses this
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=743783
Old 10-10-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
I guess M5 has become daily driving car and less fun car. It is NOT a car which makes people take a drive just for the fun of it.

There is a member on other forum who has both F10 M5 and Pana GTS. The car he chooses to drive just for the fun of it is GTS. M5 is not an addicting car anymore like older M5 or any M3.

As an insured driver who was on a parental figures porsche the only kind of porsche worth driving has the words turbo on the tramp stamp spot
Old 10-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, but you are forgetting that highyo met "religious icon of your choice" at the M driving school after those statements
I think he still has and love his 550 as well so I don't think he deserves the solstice treatment as being dragged over hot coals by you and tadtaggert.

It is also possible for a human to change his or hers opinion slightly or significantly over time. It's not a criminal act and the discussions are far more interesting when it's cars being judged not the commenters.
Sure, say so then. He doesn't and you haven't

Quote:
all of the above statements i made are true and i stand by them 100%. ...
recall our exchange between wants and needs - someone else could thrash your M3 and say it's inferior to a 2 door car eg Lotus. You have said that you need a 4 door car. Therefore, shouldn't and can't compare the M3 to the M5 or the F10

Last edited by bm323; 10-10-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
all of the above statements i made are true and i stand by them 100%. where is the double standard?

i stated when posting this thread (note the quotes in teh "trash" part) that i can NOT recall an M car being knocked for lack of enthusiasm and vim and vinegar. track times, looks, etc are all awesome. and maybe one day i will own an f10 m5. but again, FIRST time i have seen an M car being knocked for "blah".
Double standard in that you rely on reviews but disregard the reviews that say the F10 M5 is superior to the E60 M5. You have also disregarded the links/reviews posted above where the CTS knocked out the E60 M5 for "blah"
Old 10-10-2012, 08:53 PM
The Driver

Quote:
Double standard in that you rely on reviews but disregard the reviews that say the F10 M5 is superior to the E60 M5. You have also disregarded the links/reviews posted above where the CTS knocked out the E60 M5 for "blah"
Agree. Psychologists would have a field day with this kind of behavior.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
The Driver

Quote:

I'm addicted to my M5. It's my third car, and the only one where I have racked up 2000 miles in just the first 9 days. That's addiction for you.

As for the other guy - he's much older than me and doesn't appreciate forced induction. Read the review I posted by KIP who has a Panamera Turbo and test drve an M5.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Old 10-10-2012, 09:13 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I'm addicted to my M5. It's my third car, and the only one where I have racked up 2000 miles in just the first 9 days. That's addiction for you.
That's European Delivery for you!

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 10-10-2012, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
As an insured driver who was on a parental figures porsche the only kind of porsche worth driving has the words turbo on the tramp stamp spot
N/A porsche is more fun.

911 GT3 is more fun than 911 turbo
Pana GTS is more fun and sounds better than Pana turbo
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
N/A porsche is more fun.
This depends ... how often you can rev high taking into account speed limit, traffic etc ... it can get tiring, and the "lag" in a NA can be longer than a turbo

Last edited by bm323; 10-11-2012 at 12:16 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
N/A porsche is more fun.

911 GT3 is more fun than 911 turbo
Pana GTS is more fun and sounds better than Pana turbo
Natural boobs are nice, but sometimes fakes are just too tempting to pass up
Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 535i
I believe Ignition has the best review of the M5 yet.
It talks about the good and bad of the M5 and why BMW choose to do it.
Take a look:

(starts at 1:06)

Last edited by smashhell; 10-11-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Take a look:
I seriously need to stop looking, I'm ready to hop in the car and write a check for a crappy black on black dealer inventory one now
Old 10-11-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Take a look:

(starts at 1:06)
I kind of agree and I think most of these reviews professional and owner/test drives mainly say the same thing about how this new M5 drives. The difference is in how the different people value different things. Some (most) see the new M5 as a perfect evolvement of the M5 concept into a more modern, more approachable and overall better and usable car. But then there are others who prefer the old concept of being, to quote this guy "a thinly disguised race car" without the compromises needed to give it a dual personality.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:11 AM

Quote:
... to quote this guy "a thinly disguised race car" without the compromises needed to give it a dual personality.
You're mistaken, mate. He said at 5:35 that the M5 started off as "a thinly disguised race car"; not that the F10 M5 is different from the E60 M5 (or previous M5s) in this regard. His point is that the F10 M5 is different from previous ones in that it is now turbo, it is 2 cars in one, and that BMW has not lost it