Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:11 PM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayerisheteknik View Post
i think you had previous thread going on about this so not sure if you checked the common problems..
is the engine turning over but not starting even after alt replacement???

any codes??

how is fuel pressure???

are you getting spark??

fuel pump relay if no pressure...bad fuel filter...fuel pressure regulator anything is possible...your mechanic should be able to diagnose why its not starting since he is the one working on it

fuses???

it can be lots of things or just some simple little thing....maybe bad ground connection

your mechanic should start with basics first before you start buying parts and guessing and spending lots of $$$$
Yup he did all of that.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i 2005
Try to sync DME to CAS . there is an option for that in INPA under engine i believe so.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: ...
you know someone with same model in your area??? try swapping main ecu not sure if that will work with 7 series though
it worked on my 5 series with tranny going into safe mode so i swapped EGS for tranny and problem solved...
maybe your main ECU is damaged since your alternator died while you were driving if i remember from other thread you posted...
we all know how sensitive bmw are to voltage fluctuations/over and under voltage

this is a mystery....im sure someone on here specializing in 7 series could solve this problem

maybe crankshaft or camshaft sensors???

Last edited by bayerisheteknik; 10-10-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM

it is not going to work because CAS and DME have rolling code. every time u turn ignition on new security code is generated. If you want to do that u need cas and dme from the same car. I doubt it is DME. If DME is faulty it would not read some sensors which connected to DME. Like throttle body it sends the single to DME then DME reads and allows the injectors to release fuel . If DME does not work then it will block injectors from releasing the fuel or it will goes to same mode. Some thing like that.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM

Check fuel pump by putting wires from spare battery to fuel pump bypassing security model. If it works then reconnected and try it again. If does not work try to replace fuse in trunk and behind gloves box. If dose not work than it security module. Before u replace DME check every thing else. I took for me 2 mo to find out what was wrong. By parts from local store try it if does not help return it then try next. I feel you pain
Old 10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
Major

How about starter. It doesnt spin at all when we test it with the separate cable.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:26 PM

i have no idea about starers on ours cars,but if it is starter you should have an error code 99%
Old 10-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Dumb question, but with no jumper cables hooked up does it crank? Btw, if you still have your old IVM, I may be interested in it.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Major

It diesnt crank at all no matter what we try. My mechanic is still testing it.
Whats ivm?
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khabar View Post
i have no idea about starers on ours cars,but if it is starter you should have an error code 99%
Power goes to the starter but it doesnt respond. Solenoid is burned or something. When we connect it straight to the battery it sparks. Indicates that starter is facked unless something for some reason blocking it. Like a safety thing or something
Old 10-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Master Tinkerer

IVM = Integrated Voltage supply Module.

Does it sound like it's making any attempt to crank at all? Any clicking? Any visible tension on the belts when you hit start? And jumping from the posts in the engine bay (not AT the battery in the trunk) yield no different results? Otherwise voltage appears ok in the second hidden menu?

Ah...just saw starter response.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 10-10-2012, 03:14 PM
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keif View Post

Does it sound like it's making any attempt to crank at all? Any clicking? Any visible tension on the belts when you hit start? And jumping from the posts in the engine bay (not AT the battery in the trunk) yield no different results? Otherwise voltage appears ok in the second hidden menu?

Keif they dont charge me for new ivm unless we will have to install it and my old one is garbage. If so ill give u my old one. Kjjklj is selling one dirt cheap. They are 160 something at the dealer. If i end up using new one, just pay for shipping and old one is urs. Ill let u know

Last edited by ***CCCP***; 10-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Major

Ive been told its a bitch to replace starter. Im checking repair manual. Seems like "a lot of fun" so far
Old 10-10-2012, 03:46 PM

you see i asked you at begining of this thread if the engine turns over and you didn't reply

so if it doesn't turn over its automaticly your starter bro

try someone hit the start button and you go under the car and tap on starter few times....maybe starter solenoid is just stuck,sometimes taping the starter with just a wrench or hammer releases the solenoid from being stuck

here i am telling you about fuel pumps,sensors,swapping ecu and your starter is at fault from beginning...

all this time i was thinking that your engine turns over while you hit start button and that problem you got is that it doesn't want to run/crank up
Old 10-10-2012, 03:51 PM
Major

No engine doesnt crank nothing moves. Lights on dash work its just dead as if u live ur car in drive and try to start the car. Or if u dont press clutch and try to start. Everything lights up but car doesnt start. Sorry man missed the question my bad
Old 10-10-2012, 03:58 PM

my bad too bro.....maybe i put the question wrong....but it doesn't matter...good luck getting your flagship back on the road...

how is the pushbutton start/stop switch???

maybe even that can be problem,maybe someone had the same problem too and starter is good but ignition switch is bad itself???

anyone had to replace theirs ignition switch??? or they don't malfunction at all??
Old 10-10-2012, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
I was thinking about it. How much is new one at the dealer? I dont want to wait one week till it gets here
List at the Dealer for a new Power Module is $485.82 . The Best online price you will find is $332.30.

I will sell you my Power Module for $75.00 and my Integrated Supply module for $50.00. So $125.00 + shipping however way you want it shipped for actual cost. Items are already packaged and ready to mail. They are both from a 2004 E65 with 86,000 miles. i replaced them trying to fix a low and high voltage code which ended up being the alternator. Both are in working condition and super clean. PM me if you are interested. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM

Quote:

Keif is the part you are referring to called a integrated supply module? This pictured?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349916791.923037.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	345129  
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
List at the Dealer for a new Power Module is $485.82 . The Best online price you will find is $332.30.

I will sell you my Power Module for $75.00 and my Integrated Supply module for $50.00. So $125.00 + shipping however way you want it shipped for actual cost. Items are already packaged and ready to mail. They are both from a 2004 E65 with 86,000 miles. i replaced them trying to fix a low and high voltage code which ended up being the alternator. Both are in working condition and super clean. PM me if you are interested. Thanks.
Picture of the Power Module
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349916848.039675.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	345130   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349916861.923304.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	345131   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349916879.241162.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	345132  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:29 PM
Major

Amazing deal bro. But what does power module do exactly
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ***CCCP*** View Post
Amazing deal bro. But what does power module do exactly
The Power Module controls the following functions :

Power module functions
Optimised charging
Reduction of load-side peak consumption
Shut-down of auxiliary consumer units
Quiescent current monitoring
Distribution mode
Automatic electrical system isolation
Load deactivation
Electronic circuit breakers
Central battery voltage notification
Heated rear window (demister)
Interior lights
Boot lid and fuel filler flap control
Data memory
Fail-safe characteristics
Check Control messages
Diagnosis
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Major

Thx for info. Too lazy to search. I dont think i need one tho. But i bet u will sell them fast
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Major

Btw thx for the offer man
Old 10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Master Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
Keif is the part you are referring to called a integrated supply module? This pictured?
Yup yup

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7

Old 10-10-2012, 08:58 PM

It is not a bad thing to change it. It is probably not your problem right now,but i can lead to a problem. Even fuse looks ok on it. It has a lot circuit and wires inside. I took one apart. it had some ware inside.
Quote:
Yup yup