Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-12-2012, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 325CI
Red face 2003 BMW 325CI Convertible Hydraulic leak

On my 2003 BMW 325CI I have a hydraulic leak dripping externally at the rear of the vehicle below the spare tire carrier area of the trunk. I have lost hydraulic oil sporadically all summer which has affected the operation of the automatic convertible top. With the aid of this site, I have topped up the oil reservoir twice resolving issues with the Automatic top but now have to find the leak. Looking for advice on finding the leak, should I remove the trunk liner or the rear seats to check the hydraulic lines for leaks? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: M3, 335Ci, X5d, 750i
If you suspect that its the hydraulic unit for the top. You should remove the trunk panels to see if you can find the source.

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Smile 2003 BMW 325CI Engine Misfire

I have a 2003 BMW 325CI with 130,000 KM that has a random misfire during cold starts. Codes relating to cylinders 4 and 5 initially. Tried swapping ignition coils and now the code is 1353 misfire on cylinder 6. The misifre can sometimes be reset by shutting the engine off and restarting. Anyone have any ideas or have come across this issue? Looking for an action plan. Thanks Opy1
Old 03-02-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci
Low Fluid Level on top hydro unit

Hi,
About 3 months ago my 2001 325Ci top stopped working - put up with it since it was winter, but now we are warming up and I really would like to have my top operational!!

Symptoms: It would only open an inch or so, then stop and show the red flashing light.
I'd have to then turn off the ignition, wait, then turn ignition back on to close it and relatch with the button.

Today I finally dug into the trunk (driver's side on my 325) to check the fluid level.
Here is the picture - the level is definitely below the circle

http://imgur.com/Nw3AOM4

If you all agree this is the likely cause of the top not opening,
I'd like to top it up myself - is there a good DIY link for this?

Where do I get the fluid, and how much should I expect it to cost?

thanks! _sl_

Last edited by fletch00; 03-02-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:20 PM

Convertible hydraulic fluid low

Although, far from an expert I did view your photo and your level is too low. I bought the fluid from a local BMW dealer the cost $40 for half a litre. In order to add the fluid, the system must be depressurized and u can do that by moving the top to the full down position manually. Refer to your manual to accomplish this. Then u can remove the pump/reservoir from its mounting bolt and place it on its side. Then remove the hexagon 4 mm plug and add fluid to the middle of the sight glass. Reinstall plug and remount pump and u should be back in business. In my case I have a leak dripping from the drain hole located on the bottom of the trunk area and now have to find the leak. Best of luck.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci
thanks opy1 - I ended up trading in my 325 for a 330 today - the 325 had suspension, brakes, engine (O2 sensor) issues

the 330 is sweet

thanks again
Old 06-01-2013, 02:02 AM

Convertible Hydraulic leaks

I finally found my leak on my convertible hydraulics. By peeling back the trunk liner on the passenger's side I discovered the storage lid (clam shell) hydraulic cylinder is leaking. Note you can also view the leak with the storage lid in the "up " position and shine a flashlight from the top shining it towards the storage lid hinge. I could view a shiny product (Hydraulic fluid) along the cylinder arm. I've ordered a replacement cylinder/hoses (it's all one part) from Pelican parts for $300. I'll let you know once repairs completed. Using this link as a guide http://www.tophydraulicsinc.com/e46storagecylinders.pdf. Update June 11/13, I had my right side storage lid cylinder replaced by Seat Cover Center in Edmonton, Alberta Canada for $175.00 (Labour only) and at this point no leaks and top moves up and down no problem. Any status change I'll let you know.

Last edited by opy1; 06-11-2013 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Updating Status of problem
Old 06-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opy1 View Post
I have a 2003 BMW 325CI with 130,000 KM that has a random misfire during cold starts. Codes relating to cylinders 4 and 5 initially. Tried swapping ignition coils and now the code is 1353 misfire on cylinder 6. The misifre can sometimes be reset by shutting the engine off and restarting. Anyone have any ideas or have come across this issue? Looking for an action plan. Thanks Opy1
Just to update I added fuel injector to the gas tank which didn't make any difference. Shortly thereafter the battery died. It was over 5 years old and I replaced it with a new one from Walmart. After that the problem disappeared? No more codes or engine misfire.