Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X3
2007 New head, new tranny, new differential same problems

First time poster, but have lurked for some time and read the posted threads on some of the X3 issues. My intent is not to put down the X3 model but to enlist your ideas on suggestions to my problems since I've been to the dealer twice with the same issues and they've had the car for over 20 days in total. Picked it up tonight and on the way home I noticed that one of the issues was not corrected.

2007 X3 purchased as BMW Certified Preowned at 41K. Wife likes the car and her daily driver.

Dealer visit #1 for the following - wheel bearing noise (loud over time), occasional driveline rumble when slowing from 60-50mph and also 25-15mph. Transmission exhibited a lag and would then surge forward. Ash tray lid would not stay closed (non-smoker). Valves would tick (loud) oil level correct. I snapped pics and video with my phone for proof for the dealer and grabbed a loaner 328IX - loved the loaner, smooth, quiet and peppy.

Picked car up - new wheel bearing, new ash tray and they replaced the valve lifters. All was great, but when I got home and pulled into my driveway the oil light went on (yellow). Checked the level (my driveway is level) and it was full. My wife drove the car and pulled into the driveway a couple days later and the valves were ticking again, not to mention the driveline rumble was still there and the transmission lag and surge was not fixed. I was told no codes found and the transmision was fine.

Back to the dealer and they had the car over two weeks and replaced the following - transmission, head (due to valve ticking) and the transfer case. Also checked drive shaft and all axles and performed and extensive road test and said it was now fixed.

Picked the car up tonight and the driveline shudder is worse, but the transmission shifts like a dream (or at least as it should with no lag or surge). My son (age 12) validated the vibration and a good friend (BMW guru) says it feels like a center driveline bearing or maybe the torque converter, but I would think the TC was replaced with the transmission. Either way the rumble is getting worse and feels like its coming from the center or rear of the car. It also is more noticable in sport mode compared to normal drive mode since the transmission holds a gear and performs engine braking.

I emailed the dealer and will talk to them in the morning on what to do, but I'm getting tired of spending all my time driving back and forth (takes about 2.5 hours roundtrip).

At this point the dealer is investing lots of $$ into this X3 and I'm losing confidence in the vehicle, but I like the idea of a nearly new drivetrain. Warranty expires in December, but since the issues are documented I'm not concerned about chasing BMW after December if needed. Dealer has been nice to deal with, but I'd rather not know the entire service team on a first name basis.

Anyone have input or ideas?

D-

on edit 10-8-12 - I incorrectly listed the differential replacement in visit #2, but it was the transfer case.

Last edited by dtmackey; 10-08-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Yes...Get rid of it.

The car is clearly a lemon and dangerous. Next thing we will hear is it accelerated on its own or the brakes have failed.

The dealer seems like they are trying and may be open to simply do a Trade Assist. 30 days and more than three service is usually all that is needed for a lemon
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-20-2012, 09:24 PM

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not jumping to lemon, but a problem that was not properly diagnosed or corrected. So far I feel that the dealer is replacing all the parts around the problem and hasn't hit the right one, so the idea of a new tranny and other parts is nice, but I want a realiable car for my wife and the car has not left us stranded or cost any $ to this point, but my time isn't free either. I know once they replace enough parts they will find the component that is causing the rumble and at this point it's not my money. I was looking for input from someone that may have already been down this same or familiar road.

D-

Last edited by dtmackey; 09-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmackey View Post
Thanks for the reply, but I'm not jumping to lemon, but a problem that was not properly diagnosed or corrected. So far I feel that the dealer is replacing all the parts around the problem and hasn't hit the right one, so the idea of a new tranny and other parts is nice, but I want a realiable car for my wife and the car has not left us stranded or cost any $ to this point, but my time isn't free either. I know once they replace enough parts they will find the component that is causing the rumble and at this point it's not my money. I was looking for input from someone that may have already been down this same or familiar road.

D-
I have if you read the transmission sticky. I had mine in the shop over 15 times in one year. I started it to warn off people and hold BMWNA accountable. It came down to the VP of BMWNA in a face to face at the dealer saying, "Get Him A New X3".

Just trying to save you the hassle and inevitable outcome. The dealer finally gets frustrated and says that's it. Then you are stuck. Sometimes no matter what they dump into the car it can't be fixed. I am not the only one that this has occurred. So while the dealer seems to be in a giving mood I would highly suggest you at least ask.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-20-2012, 09:36 PM

My feeling is the dealer is replacing all the parts around the problem at the expense of BMW and will eventually get to the real issue, but my time is not free going back and forth. My ability to take any action is after the 3rd trip to the dealer for the smae issue (in the state I live), but I feel that would be more of a hassle and would rather have the fixed since my wife likes the car.

I'll contact the dealer in the morning and update this thread.

D-
Old 09-20-2012, 09:41 PM

So how did the replacement X3 work out for you? I didn't read the thread with yours specifically and your signature shows a thumbs up, but RIP.

D-
Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmackey View Post
So how did the replacement X3 work out for you? I didn't read the thread with yours specifically and your signature shows a thumbs up, but RIP.

D-
The MT X3 was a good car, but had the lifter issues that had to be replaced. Since it was out of warranty recently and I had lost faith in BMW being accountable as I had to fight with the dealer on any repair that was more than a oil change I wasn't giving them any more money by buying an extended warranty. The new X3 is only AT and after hearing that the lag issue is still showing up in the new F25 series I wasnt going to take that risk all over again. Once was enough.

I typically won't own an SUV that has over 70k miles as that is when all the major (expensive) failures begin. And since even the best indy shop still charges over $100/hr around here I wasn't going to invest any money in repairs.

BMWNA and her dealer's biggest problem with their cars is not their cars, but they lie so much they believe their own lies. The AT 07 was a text book example of that as they will deny up down and sideways the tranny can be faulty. One of their biggest lies is: "They are supposed to be that way". There is no polite way to put it. THAT is a flat out lie.

Your dealer seems very good to go through all that, but eventually BMWNA will start finding reasons to stop paying CPO or not. It is BMWNA that must approve the warranty work. Kind of like insurance is to doctors.

I recommend that before that happens ask for a trade assist and get into a different BMW. The dealer wins because it is essentially selling you a new car. And you win as well.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
I'd be very interested to know if you have identified the culprit for the driveline shudder.

Thanking you in advance
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 x3 3.0, 2002 325i
I would bet it is the center bearing on the driveshaft. I had a vibration that was bad at low speeds and when pulling a load / hill below about 50mph. You could also notice a very slight vibration that was reduced all the way to 130 mph. (I live near Germany). I replaced the Guibo and the center bearing (had to use a wheel puller to get it off!). The Guibo looked fine when compared to the new one, I replaced it anyhow. The center bearing had a slight wobble to it when rotated about the driveshaft -- even though it looked fine. When installed - problem was solved. Job took about 3 hours due to the struggle with getting the center bearing off the shaft. Recommend using a lift, drop the exhaust (easy with two people), drop the head shield, and then unbolt the front of the driveshaft to get at the centerbearing.I have read many posts and talked to the folks at Turner Motorsports who suggested replacing the Guibo and center bearing, in hindsight I could have gotten by with just replacing the latter. Hope this helps.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:07 PM

Mein Auto: X3 E83
My mechanic is recommending to replace the long drive shaft and 4WD chain. I'll ask him about the condition of the Guibo and center bearing instead on my next trip there.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 AM

Scheduled at dealer tomorrow for an 8am test ride with the top mechanic so I can drive and have him feel the shudder. Again they will provide me with a loaner. This is trip number 3 for one of the unresolved issues.

Transmission still shifts smooth, but is surging again and exhibiting the throttle imput lag that the previous tranmission did. My wife commented that it make the car a real challenge to drive in stop and go traffic. I will also address this with the mechanic as this is something the car should not do. Transmission was 1 week old yesterday If only it behaved like the 328IX loaners they provide us.

I'm also going to ask for a complete printout of all maintenance records since new to see what else has been done with the car.

I'll update after my #3 dealer experience.

D-
Old 10-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Contacted the dealer last night and they were finishing up installing 2 new rear axles and a new differential. Emailed them this morning to find out how the road test went and was told the rumble/vibration was still present and they would need to keep the car longer.

The car history doesn't really show anything related to this issue.
1-8-08 Removed switch and reinstalled in correct direction. Replaced light socket and fuse

12-15-08 Replaced roof antenna

6-17-09 Broken vac hose and lighter tabs, replaced steering wheel, headliner clips

8-17-09 Replaced clips on sunshade

10-13-10 Check engine light goes on/off remove and replace thermostat, fuel gauge reading incorrectly remove and replace right tank sensor

2-15-11 Car not driving smooth, jerky transmission shifting reprogrammed transmission

7-29-12 Car surges no problem or codes found. Howling noise replaced wheel bearing, valve ticking noise replaced valve lifters and rockers

At this point I am only communicating by email because I want a documented trail of breadcrumbs. My last email pointed out we may need to look at other options and left it open to them to respond.

D-
Old 10-08-2012, 12:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3-current 2002 S500
sounds like you might want to switch to a 328 or get a more reliable year of an x3...2007s have always been a problem year for this model...just saying all this frustration doesnt sound worth it given this is an amzing car to drive without the problems...at least you get to drive the 328 s all the time!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 AM

DT I know you are bound and determined to remedy this problem, but this just seems like one of those X3's that cannot be fixed.

This "Surge" and Lag you report is text book AT 07 problems. If they offer a Trade Assist, take it.

I drove more 3 series and 5 series in one year than I can recall and the reason I was unrelenting with BMWNA (besides the obvious) was that the sedans I drove never exhibited these issues and the 3 Series used the same GM6 transmission. So the explanation that they all drove this way, never held any weight with me.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 AM

Update - 10-8-12

Contaced the dealer on Thursday (10-4-12) through email (all my correspondence with BMW is now in email to give me a trail of breadcrumbs. Dealer was just finishing up installing 2 new rear axles and a new differential and planning a road test in the morning. (In an earlier post I accidentally listed the differential as already having been replaced, but that was an error and it was the transfer case that was replaced.)

The next morning I did not receive a call or email, so I reached out to them around noon and the car still had the rumble and they were keeping it over the long weekend. I sent email(s) to the service writer and service manager requesting a sit down meeting over everything that's been done to this point so we can come to a solution. No sooner had I sent this email and the dealer contacts me with a courtesy call on my last service appointment. I thought this was odd and as I filled the gentleman in on what has been done he sounded shocked and reassured me that this would be resolved - never heard back.

I gave them until this week to get this corrected.

What's been replaced (in no particular order):

- engine lifters
- engine head
- transmission
- wheel bearing
- transfer case
- differential
- rear axles

What they want to replace next - drive shaft and support bearings - like it told them weeks ago.....

Visits to the dealer in days:

Visit 1 - about 1 week
Visit 2 - 8 days
Visit 3 - 10 days and counting

D-

Last edited by dtmackey; 10-08-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:21 AM

Picked up car on Monday. Sat with the service manager and went over everything. Noticed that the paperwork mentioned front axles, but I ahve confirmed (twice) by phone and email that it was the rear axles. They also replaced the guibo instead of the entire driveshaft and bearings they had previously told me.

Sudder at 60 and 25mpg decelleration is now gone, but I'm feeling something int he 40mph range now. Didn't have time to drive the car for long and my wife has the car. I'll spend more time behind the wheel and determine the next action.

Emailed BMW North America Monday and have yet to hear back.

D-
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM

Is your x3 made in Alabama or Austria?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Picked car up Columbus Day and they diagnosed the issue to the guibo rubber driveline isolation damper. Car drives with no vibration at 20 and 60 as before, but I thought I detected something in the 40mph range, but was in a rush to get home. Called the dealer on the ride home and mentioned the vibration and he thought I was kidding. I had a long converstion with him when picking up the car and he mentioned the next step was to involve BMW.

Emailed the BMW consumer site and they sent an automated email back telling me they will respond soon. 2 days later I contact them and go through the entire ordeal and the person I'm talking to says he feels that my request for an additional 2 years on the Certified warranty is reasonable, but he cannot approved since it's outside his authority level, but he gets someome on the line that can. I go through the entire ordeal a second time and the response is rather cold and mentions that the warranty ends in two months and BMW is pretty much washing their hands of the car. I repeatedly plead my case, but he stands fast and tells me to go back to the dealer and work with them. At this point I laughed at his response and mentioned that the dealer told me to handle it with BMW. Call ended.

I have not made any additional calls or email and I'm discussing this with my brother-in-law who is an attorney and he's dealt with this type of issue before. We'll see where it goes from here.

D-
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberX3 View Post
Not sure how do I tell? I'm in the U.S. so I would imagine it's an Alabama built veihicle, but not sure.

In an ideal world, build location should not matter and if there is any level of inconsistancy between different build locations then there is an issue with the manucturing repeatability of the product line. As a "premium" vehicle (I know, this is only an X3), but regardless it should not matter where it's built. Sorry, not trying to discredit your post, just presenting the consumer side of ownership.

D-
Old 10-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberX3 View Post
Über-based on this thread he has a 2007 e83. That entire model range (04-10) was built by contract by Magna Styre in Gratz, Austria for us import. It was one if there best plants in their network and well regarded for efficiency and quality.

Sorry dt...thought I would help clarify....

Also the dealer is in full control of the warranty/goodwill approval process. Bmwna has given a lot of autonomy for self approval. I would ask your dealer directly to put you in contact with the regional vp for BMW, unless they are willing to continue working with you. I hate to say this but the 07 my was not the best year of the x3 line and trade assist/buy back might be the best options. I would pm Evlenger as he has been through this with an 07 and he might have some thoughts to help.

As a side note...don't let this bad apple ruin your taste for BMW/x3...my 09 has been rock solid to 99k miles. I would argue one of the best commute cars I have ever owned and fully expect it to hit 300k and beyond.

Last edited by x3brian; 10-13-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
Über-based on this thread he has a 2007 e83. That entire model range (04-10) was built by contract by Magna Styre in Gratz, Austria for us import. It was one if there best plants in their network and well regarded for efficiency and quality.

Sorry dt...thought I would help clarify....

Also the dealer is in full control of the warranty/goodwill approval process. Bmwna has given a lot of autonomy for self approval. I would ask your dealer directly to put you in contact with the regional vp for BMW, unless they are willing to continue working with you. I hate to say this but the 07 my was not the best year of the x3 line and trade assist/buy back might be the best options. I would pm Evlenger as he has been through this with an 07 and he might have some thoughts to help.

As a side note...don't let this bad apple ruin your taste for BMW/x3...my 09 has been rock solid to 99k miles. I would argue one of the best commute cars I have ever owned and fully expect it to hit 300k and beyond.

Happy to help off line if you need my input. I was ready to sign off BMW for life when I had the 07 AT. Once I got the new MT 08 in a trade assist most of the major problems went away. I can tell you that (Passport BMW of MD) contributed a great amount of pain and BS to the issue. i switched to a different dealer years later for another problem that had been on going for 5 months. The other dealer (Russel BMW of MD) resolved it in 5 hours! A dealer that will work with you can make a HUGE difference. BMWNA will back up their dealers 100% whether they are wrong or right. If they are wrong it took me a lawyer and almost a year of documenting to get past (Passport's) BS.

Good Luck and PM if you need me.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Sorry for the long overdue update.

Car is now back at dealer (6th time) and I dropped it off back on Feb 18th and have not seen it since. All this time they have replaced nearly everything that moves or rotates (some items a second or third time). This is the 6th trip to the dealer and I have been keeping all paperword in a file and communicating only in email to the service advisor. 3 weeks ago I was told that someone from BMW corporate came out and drove the car, confirming the vibration and told the dealer to order a "special" differential from Germany to correct the issue. I could not get specifics on what a "special" differential was and wonder what the difference is from the previous differentials that were already tried in the car.

Up to this point I have been too busy to pursue any legal options and as long as my wife has the loaner (2013 328 X-Drive) I've been able to cope with this headache. I'm told another 2 weeks before the part arrives from Germany.

I looked into trade assist and found that this is for new vehicle purchases only and does not occur with BMW Certified Preowned. If someone knows otherwise, I'd be very interested in talking.

D-