Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 04-27-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW Z4
Installed smartTop module on my 2011 30i Z4

Hey all ...

You probably have heard about the mod4cars smartTOP module that allows you to modify the convertible top so that it can be opened while the car is moving (up to 25mph), can have it fold mirrors with the locks, can do one-touch opening and closing of the top from the key fob or from the instrument panel, etc. etc. etc.

I just installed my smartTOP into my Z4 this afternoon.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/smar...tall_z4/en.php

I'm still playing around with all the features, but I LOVE IT! The installation was pretty easy, actually. The hardest part, as funny as it sounds, was to pull out all the black BMW plastic plugs without breaking them. I finally figured out how to pull them out and put them back in without damaging them, but that was after breaking two of them. I'll get some replacement plugs from BMW so that there is no sign of my mucking with the car as it's still under warranty . The installation was easy enough that I can take out the module before taking it to the dealer for service while I'm under warranty.

I'll give more updates as I play with it.

/LesC
Advertisement
Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: z4
Smile how's your overall experience with smarTOP??

Hello there...

It seems you are one among the few who have gone for the smartop and the only one in this forum. So I would like your opinion and your enjoyment factor on it.
Got myself a bimmer zfour and njoy rolling in it, but felt confined with the top operation and hence planing on ordering it.

Is fixing 'em cumbersome and please share yur experiences...

thanks in advance
cheers,
zandeip
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 sdrive30i
How is it?

How do you like the module? I am thinking about buying one too. Sounds like they have all the kinks worked out of it with the latest generation module.

Please share your experience here.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM

I don't know if I'm the only one on this forum with the SmartTop. I have to believe there are others. However, most of the chatter moved off to a different forum -- ZPost. You can find more discussion there.

Now, I know that a lot of people have had top issues with the SmartTop installed, and because of that BMW would not warranty the work and they had to pay for it out-of-pocket. Whether the problems were caused by the SmartTop installed -- hard to say. However, it is definitely true that if you have the Smarttop installed, BMW will not fix any of these issues under warranty.

But from my end ... I LOVE the SmartTop. I have not had any issues with it. I have the later Plug-n-play model, and am able to install and de-install it within 15 minutes easy.

I actually like the other features of the SmartTop that are often under-appreciated. I like having the mirrors automatically fold in when I lock the door. I like to be able to unlock both locks when opening the door from the outside using a special touch sequence. I even like the ability to roll up all windows with a one-touch operation.

My SmartTop is configured to open/close while moving up to 25mph. I have stopped doing that since I've read that the top mechanism isn't strong enough to withstand that usage. Therefore, I usually only open/close it while only going about 10-15mph now.

I'm curious as to what others in this forum have to say. I know you're out there!
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to RufusKing
Mein Auto: Z4 3.0i Roadster
I know this is redundant, but where did you order it?

2009 BMW Z4 sDrive 3.0i

I call her weezey

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i Roadster - Sold and I miss her.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 PM

I bought mine from Amazon. Can't remember how much it cost me, but somewhere between $300-$400. Just go to Amazon and search for "SmartTop E89". Make sure it is the new plug-n-play style.

I originally was going to go to one of the authorized installers that is on the mods4car's website: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/. But I realized that I would be able to install it myself, and save a few bucks by buying it from Amazon. I think I paid $350 or so rather than the full price of $379.

BTW, the unit you want is the STLFBW3: http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...de=view&id=112

Last edited by lcheong; 10-11-2012 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Fixed a URL
Old 10-13-2012, 11:23 AM
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive30i
I installed the smartop on my Z4 in July and have had no issues. Should have been like that from the factory or at least sold as a BMW authorized option.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 E89
I have a z4 e89 with the comfort package. With that pkg. You can open or close the top by holding your finger on either the lock or unlock button on the remote. If I get the smart top module will it interfer with what is already programed on it or would it just add to it/enhance what is already there. What plugs into thd module and where is it mounted. I appreciate anyones experience or knowledge regarding this. My Z has the M Sport pkg, premium pkg., comfort Access keyless entry. I just bought my 2011 BMW Z4 E89, sdrive30i a month ago. This is my first bimmer and new member to this forum. I have enjoy reading all the comments and questions posted. Very informative, thank you..