Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-12-2012, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325ci
Exclamation possible throw out bearing? HELP?!?!:(

i have a noise that sounds like rocks in a tin can that is present at idle and slow speeds, very loud and annoying, it only goes away when i hold in the clutch it gets louder when i drive and then stop someone help me please
Advertisement
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325ci

jump to around 45 seconds and you can hear it go away when i press the clutch

Last edited by bimmer balls; 10-12-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 325i, '99 e36 328is
I'd rule out the throw out bearing. It does its thing when your foots on the clutch pedal. The noise occurs with your foot off the pedal (clutch engaged). I'd get the car off the ground (all 4 wheels), pull the splash shield and reinforcement plate then get under it and listen while somebody runs it and works the clutch.. Hope it's something simple, but from what I hear it does sound like a tranny issue- good luck.
Ps. Could be a dual mass flywheel or clutch (pressure plate or disc) issue as well.. Maybe the drive shaft guibo is giving it up- it really needs a good look to figure it out.

Last edited by elhombre; 10-12-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Wow, that sounds like it is inside the transmission. I am guessing it is a failed input shaft bearing. To check for transmission problems, drain the transmission oil into a pan, and inspect for metal pieces and filings.

If you find a lot of metal in the oil, reach around and check the thickness of your wallet.