Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-14-2012, 09:32 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
10 cars to avoid list on MSN auto- #3 = E9x 07-10 330i/335i

This is for all the E9x supporters with their very reliable E9x comments.

Looks like they are on the list of 10 cars to avoid from MSN auto.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/10-used-cars-to-avoid#3
Advertisement
Old 10-14-2012, 09:42 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
I spent yesterday morning chasing a p0301 code on my friends 06 325i with 50k miles. Not the coil pack, not the plug, not the injector. Still runs like crap. I hate that car

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-14-2012, 09:46 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Not to nitpick, but there was no 330i in 2007, only 2006. Its the 335i and its HPFP that deserves the blame for making it so high on the unreliability list.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 10-14-2012, 12:28 PM
*^^^^^^^^*

Mein Auto: 2002 325i Auto
The is also a list for the E46 supporters on Consumer Report "used cars to avoid". Practically ALL BMWs are recommended to avoid as unreliable. Hey, what's new? Those lists are worthless cause they take into consideration "an average housewife" whose last thought would be to preventively overhaul the cooling system. Most people want appliances and they get appliances. The amount of Hondas is just annoying, I'd get just anything else no matter how unreliable...
Old 10-14-2012, 02:36 PM
Philosopher-king

Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
CR does actually recommend a few years of the BMW Z4 as used cars. But anyone who buys a BMW (or any Eurocar) because of reliability and low cost is nuts.

Want reliability and low cost? Buy a Toyota Corolla. It's as reliable as a refrigerator -- and about as much fun to drive.
2008 E91 station wagon 20K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Euro split armrest, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display.

"I will give up my stick shift when they pry it from my cold dead hand!"
Old 10-14-2012, 04:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
Not to nitpick, but there was no 330i in 2007, only 2006. Its the 335i and its HPFP that deserves the blame for making it so high on the unreliability list.
I have to agree with this statement and the one about anyone buying a BMW for reliability being a little nuts. There may be exceptions to every rule, but my experience with an 06 330i was outstanding. It only had 80k or so miles when I sold it which is still on the troublefree side of the odometer, but I have nothing but good things to say about my e90.

Maybe the guys who put this survey together got data from the folks who get service from the same dealer as this guy who was charged $2,400 to have all cooling system hoses replaced on his CPO 09 650i.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=hose

Old 10-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoinSF View Post

Maybe the guys who put this survey together got data from the folks who get service from the same dealer as this guy who was charged $2,400 to have all cooling system hoses replaced on his CPO 09 650i.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...highlight=hose
So what are you saying if I spend $1200/mo for imported air from Germany to fill my tires?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
did u guys even read their arguments on why some cars are not reliable?
it appears all cars are prone to engine and transmission failure, with a tad of electrical problems and a lil brakes and suspension on top.
thank you sir, would u like some fries with that ?

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 00' 323ci 5sp mt
Everyone here drives Bmws, not because of realiability but of the thrill they bring. Sure, I've had my share of headaches but I love my car

Besides working on my car makes me feel like a big boy

Sent from the middle of nowhere

We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
-unknown

I like Chile Verde Burritos
Old 10-14-2012, 11:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to CLP-WGH
Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG View Post
Everyone here drives Bmws, not because of realiability but of the thrill they bring. Sure, I've had my share of headaches but I love my car

Besides working on my car makes me feel like a big boy

+1

My input: Finding the right car is like finding the right girl. She may take all of your money, and a lot of your time, but in the end the chemistry you have and the way she makes you feel is priceless........in my case I ended up dumping the girl and pouring the dough in the Beam-machine. I felt a stronger connection with the car......Sophie.....

The next "flavor of month"= an unreliable 2007 335i that will empty my wallet and fill up my pants with that "O so special feeling" .........................
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	orig.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	345743  

Last edited by CLP-WGH; 10-15-2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 00' 323ci 5sp mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLP-WGH View Post
+1

My input: Finding the right car is like finding the right girl. She may take all of your money, and a lot of your time, but in the end the chemistry you have and the way she makes you feel is priceless........in my case I ended up dumping the girl and pouring the dough in the Bime-machine. I felt a stronger connection with the car......Sophie.....

The next "flavor of month"= an unreliable 2007 335i that will empty my wallet and fill up my pants with that "O so special feeling" .........................
That's true love bro... True love...

I'm jealous of your car, I bet she is so worth it

We never really grow up; we only learn how to act in public.
-unknown

I like Chile Verde Burritos
Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 PM

She's not mine......yet. I found the pic off an E90 forum. I don't think its for sale but I like the way she's dressed.

I have to find the same outfit for this Chick.........

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...29370543&Log=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27330492388.329370543.IM1.02.565x421_A.565x375.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	345744  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM

KenG, By the way, I like your sig. quotes. I will never grow up but I sure as hell know how to act. ?

Burritos=my staple