Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 10-15-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530i
E60 - Aux retrofit DIY - Saved 250 bucks

Hey Guys , First of all - Thanks to this forum & the users who have posted their valuable experience here.

As I posted earlier My CCC had died and I save a lot money by doing a DIY replacement. Now in order for my CCC to work the dealer had to Code it and when he did update the software I automatically got an option for AUX in my idrive menu. I asked the dealer to install the AUX part as well , Dealer quoted me $250 for the job including part and since they did not have the part in stock they rescheduled my appointment for the retrofit. I was a little skeptical on paying them $250 for the AUX, so I searched this forum and found a very useful PDF file (attached).

From there it was a piece of cake. I ordered the part from amazon. Received it next day. I already knew how to disassemble the front dash from my experience in replacing CCC.
Removed CCC , took out the big connector on the back of the CCC , removed the black interlock and added my Aux cable with the PIN numbers as specified in the PDF. Tested It & it worked like a charm.

Now i took the glove box apart - 4 screws from the bottom of the glove box and 2 plastic (screw holder kind of thing ) from inside the glove box. routed the cable from CCC to the OEM location of AUX drilled holes and was done. there is a plastic cover on the underside where the AUX is installed, I took that out to easily route the AUX part.

Sound Quality : I have heard a lot of people saying that the SQ is not as good with an aux cable and people have recommended removing the capacitors from the wire. I did not do that. Honestly the SQ is really good. I played same songs both on CD and AUX and did not notice any difference in SQ or volume.

Some people have complained about the buzzzing noise from AUX , I noticed that only when my phone or Ipod was connected to a charger. If i remove charger and just play the songs , the buzzing is not there at all.

Money I spent - $80 on the part
about 40 minutes on labor.

Good luck to anyone who is planning to do this. If you have any questions let me know I will try to help you out as much as i can .

Thanks

PS: 4 corner Pins are numbered on the black connector. My Connector had 3 existing wires in it probably from the changer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	345779  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Retrofit kit, auxiliary connection. Only for E60-E61-E63-E64.pdf (603.3 KB, 2245 views)
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i 6MT
It still amazes me that this wasnt a standard feature on the 5 series. you'd expect it to be, or at least I would.

Definitely going to do this.

Can anyone chime in if the dealer is willing to do the programming for free, or about how much will they charge?

Cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 528xi
This is an excellent thread!

Curious though.....what does it take to get the USB connection in addition?
Old 10-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasszy View Post
It still amazes me that this wasnt a standard feature on the 5 series. you'd expect it to be, or at least I would.

Definitely going to do this.

Can anyone chime in if the dealer is willing to do the programming for free, or about how much will they charge?

Cheers
I doubt they would do it for free but you can definitely ask since activating AUX is a pretty simple task. My Dealer Quoted me $250 for the part and install. deduct $80 for the part installation comes up to be $170. Now the manual says installation time the dealer should charge is 1hr which would be about $120. So coding comes to be about $50. IMHO They should just do it for Free.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmartin000 View Post
This is an excellent thread!

Curious though.....what does it take to get the USB connection in addition?
there are two ways I know of

1> Most expensive - CIC Retrofit - $2500 +

2> Least Expensive - Dension Gateway 500 $450+

I personally Don't know of any other way. Did try searching google but couldn't find anything. will post here if i find any good DIY on that.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurg09 View Post
I doubt they would do it for free but you can definitely ask since activating AUX is a pretty simple task. My Dealer Quoted me $250 for the part and install. deduct $80 for the part installation comes up to be $170. Now the manual says installation time the dealer should charge is 1hr which would be about $120. So coding comes to be about $50. IMHO They should just do it for Free.

Now if I got the odbII and usb cable along with NCS expert, would I be able to do this coding myself? Seems totally worth it for only $100 for the cable.

Cheers
Old 10-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Quote:
Now if I got the odbII and usb cable along with NCS expert, would I be able to do this coding myself? Seems totally worth it for only $100 for the cable.

Cheers
Yes, you can do the coding yourself just like I did.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txag_530i View Post
Yes, you can do the coding yourself just like I did.
Since Im most likely going to get the cable, just deciding on the seller, can you post any pertinent info on what parameters to change to get it to work?

With self coding also allow me to get the CD player to play MP3 cd's?

Thanks

Lucas
Old 10-15-2012, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Basic steps:

Add the options to the vehicle order (+NAUX and +KMP3, I think) in the CAS and LMA modules and then program the CCC or M-ASK.

http://www.bmwcoding.com/forum.php has a lot of information.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Basic steps:

Add the options to the vehicle order (+NAUX and +KMP3, I think) in the CAS and LMA modules and then program the CCC or M-ASK.

just found the bmwcoding forum (its awesome)

Any ideas on the cable vendors?

They range from about $30 all the way to $120 for what looks like the same cable.

Should I just get one of the cheap ones from ebay, and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Lucas
Old 10-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
just found the bmwcoding forum (its awesome)

Any ideas on the cable vendors?

They range from about $30 all the way to $120 for what looks like the same cable.

Should I just get one of the cheap ones from ebay, and go from there?

Thanks in advance

Lucas
I ordered one from ebay because I needed it quickly. Haven't tried it out yet. I would recommend to get the one recommended on the BMWCoding forums.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Basic steps:

I believe +KMP3 Is only to activate playback of MP3 in CD player. To activate Aux you need add +NAUX to Vehicle Order ( VO ) and code whole car and job done... or just find AUX_IN and change to aktiv

AUX_IN
aktiv

Following threads would help you understand
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....put-NCS-Expert.
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1148-aux-in
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankurg09 View Post
I believe +KMP3 Is only to activate playback of MP3 in CD player. To activate Aux you need add +NAUX to Vehicle Order ( VO ) and code whole car and job done... or just find AUX_IN and change to aktiv

AUX_IN
aktiv

Following threads would help you understand
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread....put-NCS-Expert.
http://www.bmwcoding.com/showthread.php?1148-aux-in
Many thanks!

Can I just say that I love that these forums exist. I've benefited in the same way from forums for my recently totalled 08 VW Rabbit (the cash out let me buy the 530i) as well as the forums for an 08 Buick Enclave (ended up suing GM under the lemon law) and after that the 08 Toyota Sequoia (which we love and havent had a single problem).

Thanks a ton!

Lucas
Old 03-30-2014, 05:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Veterans
Mein Auto: M5 E60
Help me

I did the Aux instalation and it's ready in my M5 but the challenge that I'm facing that how to get the software to code it, I went to workshops in Dubai and they don't know how to do it.

Help plz
Old 04-01-2014, 03:42 AM

Mein Auto: E60 530i i6 M54B30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veterans View Post
I did the Aux instalation and it's ready in my M5 but the challenge that I'm facing that how to get the software to code it, I went to workshops in Dubai and they don't know how to do it.

Help plz
Hello from Jeddah. In my opinion you will find it strangely hard in this part of the world, to find mechanics experienced or motivated to add such options to the program. Its better to start reading up on www.bmwcoding.com and do the coding yourself with the right cable.

I have purchased the cable and looking to add MP3 options to my CD player, as soon as time allows.

Ta!